International Women's Day

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: International Women's Day

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2017, 11:28 am

Well International Women's Day was yesterday and what we have talked about in the last few posts have little or nothing to do with it.

It strikes me that you are selective with your reading and if you approve of a publication, you believe what it says rather than read lots of articles dealing with the same issues to get a balanced view.

Plus you have a bee in your bonnet about abortion. The subject crops up endlessly. There are plenty of other issues to get steamed up about.

Still, all of that is your prerogative.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Lyn wrote:Well International Women's Day was yesterday and what we have talked about in the last few posts have little or nothing to do with it.

It strikes me that you are selective with your reading and if you approve of a publication, you believe what it says rather than read lots of articles dealing with the same issues to get a balanced view.

Plus you have a bee in your bonnet about abortion. The subject crops up endlessly. There are plenty of other issues to get steamed up about.

Still, all of that is your prerogative.

It certainly is Lyn, and reproductive health as the feminists call it, is certainly the most important issue of the day, although not the only one.
From my youth I have always been second in command of something or other and always on the side of good not evil.( my days in one union or another prove that,) I have always had to battle with someone or other in my life as there is plenty of evil to go around and precious little good to defend.
I led the campaign to prevent local 24 Customs and Excise Union /Douanne Accise from becoming independent at Toronto International Airport , from Ottawa HQ, I was kicked out twice by them and re instated by Ottawa, and eventually helped put them into trusteeship. I am proud of that. Later on in another union I tried unsuccessfully with two others to join CAW to put pressure on the feds to give us better salaries. That endeavour failed.I was removed from a minor union office and later re-instated.
You have probably heard some of that before.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2017, 1:12 pm

I give up. :banghead:
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 2:20 pm

I will not give up, as you are a sophist of the first order. You incorrectly assume that I have to read many sources of information in order to make up my mind about the truth of something. That method of ascertaining the truth is just one method, and works well where there are political differences between journalists and one journalist or both omit pertinent facts. That is the way it is today.
However , the only fact that needed establishing was whether or not Trudeau pledged $650M to '"reproductive rights". That was easy to do by listening to television news and seeing it on the net .There was no argument there.My reading the Globe and Mail would not have been useful, or necessary in this case.

My criticism of the killing of the unborn as a woman's reproductive right is based on the natural law, it is murder, and as such is condemned by the Catholic Church. Now, believing in the truths of a divinely revealed religion is a matter of Faith, which is a gift of God enabling us to believé whatever He has revealed. This is preceded by reason based on the likelihood of it being true according to history. I thought it was true, and took a leap of faith and joined the Church.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2017, 3:33 pm

I am no Sophist but I am a woman and have known and do know many women and girls.

However, Pondero, I respect your right to believe whatever you believe. My wish is that you would be less single minded and a bit more empathetic but life is short so let's agree to differ (I don't disagree with everything you say).
Lyn

Postby Rose » March 9th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Contraception set women free from having too many babies and all the risks that go with them.

Not everyone wants a big family.

It's a lot to expect of any women who doesn't want more than two or three children.

Keeping women barefoot and pregnant does nothing for me.

Children should be wanted, and loved.

It would be better if some religion concentrated on treating babies as something valuable, not leaving their little bodies in sewers to shock the next generations under the pretence of caring.
Ramblin' rose, ramblin' rose
Why you ramble, no one knows
Wild and wind-blown, that's how you've grown
Who can cling to a ramblin' rose?
Rose

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Very well said Rose and welcome back!
You are a voice of reason, you live in the real world. Please keep posting whenever you can.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Unfortunately Rose, your comments are all too prevalent., And it isn't only one Church that is responsible for babies being thrown into sewers, as I have said before . The Catholic Church happens to be the biggest organization in which this has happened, but I can assure you it is the God fearing Catholic in the pew every Sunday who is most shocked.And they the ordinary Catholic suffers too, because who do you think pays these settlements to victims that the Court imposed on the Church?. They lose by sale the very buildings and organizations that their euros, and dollars paid for in the past, that their ancestors paid for with pennies from working class wages.
They, the ordinary Catholic pays heavily for the evil of a minority of Catholics in powerful positions of authority. Put them in jail by all means, and try to resist the temptation to throw away the key!
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Rose didn't mention the Catholic Church, Pondy. The main point of her post was women being in charge of their own bodies with regard to having children.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Lyn wrote:Rose didn't mention the Catholic Church, Pondy. The main point of her post was women being in charge of their own bodies with regard to having children.

Stirring the pot again are you Liz.

What Rose said was :

It would be better if some religion concentrated on treating babies as something valuable, not leaving their little bodies in sewers to shock the next generations under the pretence of caring.
Ramblin' rose, ramblin' rose

She was implying the Catholic Church was responsible , see Australian , Irish and British news.
I don't blame her for that.
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion