International Women's Day

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: International Women's Day

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Lyn wrote:Rose didn't mention the Catholic Church, Pondy. The main point of her post was women being in charge of their own bodies with regard to having children.

Stirring the pot again are you Lyn

What Rose said was :

It would be better if some religion concentrated on treating babies as something valuable, not leaving their little bodies in sewers to shock the next generations under the pretence of caring

She was implying the Catholic Church was responsible , see Australian , Irish and British news.
I don't blame her for that. They are!!

I am referring to the Tuam babies.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 10:03 pm

If contraception was the main point of Roses post then there are arguments against contraception.. First of all we are talking about artificial contraception, not natural planning.as variatiions of that do work.
Difficult as natural family planning is, Catholic families practiced it faithfully until about 1964 and beyond.
When I lived in England in 1957, Bishop Heenan said from the pulpit, as did all his priests once a month from all the Catholic churches in the Roman Catholic diocese of Leeds. " ...To block, spill, or destroy the seed is a mortal sin."
That is the religious argument. The teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, (avoid the sin of Onan).
In this post modern society. The giving out of condoms has led to more fornication and not stopped the spreading of sexually transmitted diseases, as it was supposed to do.
The preaching of no sex before marriage is the best form of birth control. But, Christian beliefs are no longer taught in the UK, speaking generally. That is the root cause of abortion.It all starts with a lack of morality.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2017, 10:24 pm

What on earth do you mean, "Stirring the pot again are you Liz?" I'm no stirrer for goodness sakes and you are a fine one to talk Pondero! Nasty. (And I am not Liz.) Edit: see you have altered that to Lyn, thanks.

Never mind that though.

No, Rose did not mention the Catholic Church nor imply anything about it. Yes I have seen the Irish/Australian news, there is a thread about it started by Val to which both you and I have contributed, but it's not this one. We all know that mother and baby homes were terrible places all over the world and run by all sorts of groups, religious and otherwise.

I got the impression that Rose meant it is better that people either avoid pregnancy or have children who will be valued, not discarded.
Which is quite true.

Natural family planning or abstinence may well work for some people but historically it doesn't have a very good record.

Anyway I'm out of here for a while.
Last edited by Lyn on March 10th, 2017, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 9th, 2017, 10:38 pm

OK Lyn

I will have nothing to say as we agreed to differ a few posts back.
Pondero

Postby Val » March 10th, 2017, 9:54 am

Pondero wrote:Unfortunately Rose, your comments are all too prevalent., And it isn't only one Church that is responsible for babies being thrown into sewers, as I have said before . The Catholic Church happens to be the biggest organization in which this has happened, but I can assure you it is the God fearing Catholic in the pew every Sunday who is most shocked.And they the ordinary Catholic suffers too, because who do you think pays these settlements to victims that the Court imposed on the Church?. They lose by sale the very buildings and organizations that their euros, and dollars paid for in the past, that their ancestors paid for with pennies from working class wages.
They, the ordinary Catholic pays heavily for the evil of a minority of Catholics in powerful positions of authority. Put them in jail by all means, and try to resist the temptation to throw away the key!

Just to tidy up Leslie's impression that the Catholic church goer has paid out in compensation to those who suffered under certain catholic organisations in Ireland

in 2002 the Catholic church and a weak Irish government of the time made a pact that they would divide up the cost of compensation cases against the church 50/50 ...the bill came to 1.8 billion euros and climbing...so far the catholic organisations have paid out less than 100 million euros and promised some property, what they are really doing is selling off properties or transferring them to religious bodies in Rome where ownership is almost impossible to prove similar with bank accounts.
We have a number of tribunals and inquiries into how the church handled these cases of abuse or how they covered up for and hid the abusers, we will spend at least another 1 billion euros of hard earned money in the next few years

So when you go to mass and put your dollar in the collection plate thinks of where that money goes... it does not help those that were abused here, it like all monies go to Rome to some obscure untraceable bank account or to the gold leaf gilding of some useless piece of art, enough is enough

I say confiscate property and bank accounts, turf out the overfed retired clergy from their palatial retirement homes and let them live like the rest of us
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Val » March 10th, 2017, 10:12 am

Pondero wrote:If contraception was the main point of Roses post then there are arguments against contraception.. First of all we are talking about artificial contraception, not natural planning.as variatiions of that do work.
Difficult as natural family planning is, Catholic families practiced it faithfully until about 1964 and beyond.
When I lived in England in 1957, Bishop Heenan said from the pulpit, as did all his priests once a month from all the Catholic churches in the Roman Catholic diocese of Leeds. " ...To block, spill, or destroy the seed is a mortal sin."
That is the religious argument. The teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, (avoid the sin of Onan).
In this post modern society. The giving out of condoms has led to more fornication and not stopped the spreading of sexually transmitted diseases, as it was supposed to do.
The preaching of no sex before marriage is the best form of birth control. But, Christian beliefs are no longer taught in the UK, speaking generally. That is the root cause of abortion.It all starts with a lack of morality.

Cr@p!, preaching no sex before marriage is useless, it didn't work in the past when the church had control, its not working now and it certainly wont work in the future.
SEX before, after or during marriage is NOT a SIN, it is how all life interacts, (if Gold Almighty made us then he made us sexual beings that is how we propagate) intelligent life like humans must be taught to take responsibility for their sexual action and this through proper sex education for men and the proper use of contraception methods, the biggest sins is that the world is far too full of unwanted children and this is caused by this type of religious quackery
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » March 10th, 2017, 10:39 am

Let us agree to differ Val.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » March 10th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Pondero wrote:Let us agree to differ Val.

That's what people always say when they've lost an argument! :twisted:
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » March 11th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Pondero wrote:Let us agree to differ Val.

That's what people always say when they've lost an argument! :twisted:

I disagree!
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 11th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Does anyone ever really win an argument?

When stalemate is reached it is sometimes better to walk away, especially if an argument is going to endlessly go around in circles.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion