International Women's Day

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: International Women's Day

Postby Val » March 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Lyn wrote:Does anyone ever really win an argument?

When stalemate is reached it is sometimes better to walk away, especially if an argument is going to endlessly go around in circles.

Hi Lyn

It’s not really about winning or losing, it is more about the truth but if you walk away from the truth then what are you left with?
This is about right and wilful wrong; the Catholic Church has made major mistakes and let us just look at one of these mistakes.
The forced celibacy of the priesthood, first off it serves no real purpose whatsoever.
But it has allowed into the fold deviants, paedophiles and others that ordinarily would stand out amongst your everyday sane human.
In the priesthood they can hide in plain sight with full unhindered access to innocent children, the weak and vulnerable.
Through confession they had easy access to the mindset of all those innocents and they abused this access preying on their fears and hopes, they took advantage of the perceived sins of these vulnerable ones and with absolution and a caring shoulder came the ritual sexual abuse.

These vile creatures found a perfect home in the catholic priesthood and when found out they were moved on to other places where they weren't known, and where they could continue to carry on their vile trade, even still hundreds are hiding in monasteries and convents around the world protected by the hierarchy.

On radio this morning a report stated that Pope Francis said they will ordain older married men into the Catholic priesthood in areas where the need is great, that in Ireland is about everywhere priests are a dying species most are over 65, in 10 years ……..Catholicism will be dead
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Val

Postby Lyn » March 11th, 2017, 6:35 pm

I agree with everything you say in the above post, Val but on here I feel we shouldn't be in competition and winning or losing an argument means we are.

Some of our fellow posters live in a world where such things that you mention do not touch them personally; they feel regret and don't deny it but life goes on for them. Let's face it, there isn't much they can do anyway.

'The Faith' remains regardless of how some of its members behave. That may not be the case in Ireland where the Church had such a hold on the people for so long.

My prayer is that no organisation ever dominates in such a way ever again, that people are free to choose and that clergypeople are seen as human beings, good and bad, like everyone else.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 11th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Since we are off topic and talking about the Church, I will zero in on what many Catholics are seeing in Pope Francis. We see a man trying to destroy the Church from within. A man who says " Who am I to judge". A man who says something like " An atheist is better than some (kind) of Catholic"
We see a man who invited Paul Erlichson author of the Population Bomb (1968) to give a talk on population control this month. We see the Pope giving an audience to a notorious Italian woman abortion provider, and inviting two people as man and wife to meet him who are really of the same sex, and accepting their ",marriage"
We see a Pope who speaks with forked tongue in Amoris Laetitia, who will not clear up ambiguities after four Cardinals and many nameless ones asked him to in the Dubia. Still no answer on that question.
I can go on if I look up the incidences of appalling utterances by our present Pope. He is an extreme Modernist.

We traditionalists pray for the Pope that he may change for the better, but meanwhile we in the church militant are preparing for spiritual battle to elect a very orthodox traditional Pope to succeed Pope Francis. We do this first at the parish level , and move on from there.

This counter revolution will be organised,

Transferred to another more appropriate place
Last edited by Pondero on March 11th, 2017, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 11th, 2017, 8:34 pm

It is considered, in traditional circles, to be sacrilegious to speak ill of the clergy, Pope most of all. I don't agree with that and congratulate you for doing so even though I part company with you when it comes to your opinion of the current Pope.\

I presume you mean Paul Ehrlich and not Erlichson; no reason why there should not be discourse between the Catholic hierarchy and himself, he may be right though we have had warnings for eons about possible population explosions. Certainly, in very poor countries where there is hardship due to famine, war or plain economics, it is imperative that the people take control of the birth rate (I wouldn't want to see it forced on anyone as it is in China).

Pope Francis lives in the real world unlike many in their ivory towers. He is a breath of fresh air. However, you do not have to agree with him and he won't be around forever, he is in his eighties.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 11th, 2017, 8:48 pm

My reply has been moved to the Christianity section.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 11th, 2017, 8:51 pm

I have copied and edited my post above yours and put it there too.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 12th, 2017, 11:34 am

Canada's bishops have sent an open letter to Prime Minister Trudeau criticising him for allocating $650M to women in other nations for "reproductive health" whether these countries want the money or not.
It seems to me that Trudeau is arrogant in imposing Canadian "values" on countries that don't want them.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » March 13th, 2017, 1:14 pm

To sum up this is what I disagree with for women, "reproductive health and rights", "Pro- Choice". But I do love to support "divisive issues" ...To throw their own terminology back at the feminists

Cardinal Collins of Toronto has written a separate open letter criticising Prime Minister Trudeau for arrogance in giving $650M to other countries for , abortion etc. The Bishop of Hamilton ,head of the Council of Canadian Bishops in unison with the Council wrote a letter criticising Trudeau.. Popinjay is a good description of Trudeau.
Pondero

Postby different glory » March 17th, 2017, 10:36 am

Coming in very late (my life's been hyper-hectic of late) to say great post, Greg - the Fanny Mendelsohn piece. Very fitting for IWD to enjoy her gifts.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Previous

Return to General discussion