UK university license to kill to create three parent embryo

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

UK university license to kill to create three parent embryo

Postby Pondero » March 18th, 2017, 10:34 am

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/uk-un ... nt-embryos

This means destroying life to create new life. This should not be allowed

The principle of double effect does not mean you can do evil in order to obtain good. The principle of double effect means something completely different.
For example, A doctor operates on a patient with appendicitis. It is not expected that the patient will die, this is an unintended effect of the operation to save a persons life. The doctor is not morally responsible for killing the patient.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Re: UK university license to kill to create three parent emb

Postby Lyn » March 18th, 2017, 11:13 am

In my opinion, that is very dodgy. it all boils down to people believing they have the right to have a child. If you think about it, in bygone days, if someone had an illness that was in the family and known to be passed on, they would not have children full stop. Sad of course but responsible and they'd find something else that would be rewarding. A child was considered to be a gift, a blessing, but not a right. Now people seem to be saying, "Why shouldn't I have a child when practically everyone else does?"

Please don't think I am underestimating how difficult it is for people who are infertile or who are advised not to have children for genetic reasons. I have known some and felt their sadness but other doors have opened for them and they have been able to accommodate their sadness.

Not enough status is given to childless people. Yet those very people have freedom and opportunity to do much good in the world and to enjoy their lives in a different way to those who are parents.

I wonder where it will all end.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » March 20th, 2017, 1:55 pm

I'm not in the least bit bothered about the destruction of fertilised eggs in the first few hours or days, and don't think there's an ethical problem. Better that than giving birth to a child who will become blind, deaf and paralysed, and die before adulthood, or having tests later in pregnancy and aborting a more developed embryo if it's found to be defective.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » March 20th, 2017, 2:49 pm

I think you have missed the point, Sprocks. These are not embryos conceived by accident in which case I would agree. Why create them in the first place - with three parents?
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » March 20th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Why not?
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » March 20th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Answering a question with a question is not conducive to debate.

We're straying into the realms of ethics here. Because science gives us the tools to do something, is it ethical to do it? For example, cloning people, creating three headed sheep.

The case of the three-parented embryo which we are discussing here is a person or potentially a person who would not exist without scientific intervention. Is there a valid reason for creating such an embryo when there are plenty created every day, with two parents?
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » June 12th, 2017, 10:49 am

Sprocket wrote:I'm not in the least bit bothered about the destruction of fertilised eggs in the first few hours or days, and don't think there's an ethical problem. Better that than giving birth to a child who will become blind, deaf and paralysed, and die before adulthood, or having tests later in pregnancy and aborting a more developed embryo if it's found to be defective.

I agree with you.
sarniajoy

Postby Sprocket » June 12th, 2017, 10:54 am

Pondero wrote:https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/uk-university-granted-first-license-to-make-three-parent-embryos

This means destroying life to create new life. This should not be allowed

The principle of double effect does not mean you can do evil in order to obtain good. The principle of double effect means something completely different.
For example, A doctor operates on a patient with appendicitis. It is not expected that the patient will die, this is an unintended effect of the operation to save a persons life. The doctor is not morally responsible for killing the patient.

That's not double effect either. The classic example of double effect is giving powerful painkillers to a terminally ill patient, knowing that they will shorten the patient's life still further. The intention is to relieve pain; the earlier death is an unintended but unavoidable side-effect.
Sprocket

Postby sarniajoy » June 12th, 2017, 11:00 am

I have no problem with giving drugs to a terminally ill patient to relieve their suffering even if it shortens their life. This happened in the case of my father in 2005, my sisters and I insisted the medics increased his painkillers substantially as he was in such discomfort, even though we knew it would kill him, which it did within hours.
sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » June 12th, 2017, 11:03 am

Sarniajoy wrote:
Sprocket wrote:I'm not in the least bit bothered about the destruction of fertilised eggs in the first few hours or days, and don't think there's an ethical problem. Better that than giving birth to a child who will become blind, deaf and paralysed, and die before adulthood, or having tests later in pregnancy and aborting a more developed embryo if it's found to be defective.

I agree with you.

Of course, being Catholic I disagree with both of you, as you probably know.Human life begins at conception and it is at that time that the immortal soul is created.If at a later time,or not at all (as you believe) , then where are you going to draw the line about killing, that life is sacred.At birth?, Before birth while a fetus, that looks human?, or after birth for a deformed child that the ancient Romans used to leave exposed to the elements to die.?
You are in a moral quandary in my view.
We are back in the pagan times of Ancient Rome today, and have learned little since. Without Christianity we would not have the institutions we have today, or the lingering attitudes of Christian kindness shared by some of the older folks, and never learned by the young.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Next

Return to General discussion