UK university license to kill to create three parent embryo

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: UK university license to kill to create three parent emb

Postby Pondero » June 12th, 2017, 11:05 am

Sprocket wrote:
Pondero wrote:https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/uk-university-granted-first-license-to-make-three-parent-embryos

This means destroying life to create new life. This should not be allowed

The principle of double effect does not mean you can do evil in order to obtain good. The principle of double effect means something completely different.
For example, A doctor operates on a patient with appendicitis. It is not expected that the patient will die, this is an unintended effect of the operation to save a persons life. The doctor is not morally responsible for killing the patient.

That's not double effect either. The classic example of double effect is giving powerful painkillers to a terminally ill patient, knowing that they will shorten the patient's life still further. The intention is to relieve pain; the earlier death is an unintended but unavoidable side-effect.

What you wrote Sprocket does not contradict what I wrote.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby sarniajoy » June 12th, 2017, 11:07 am

I believe an embryo only has the potential to become a live human, and the mother's wishes should always come first if she wishes to terminate the pregnancy in the first three months of gestation.
sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » June 12th, 2017, 11:33 am

Another point, that is largely overlooked, the assumption that your "pagan" views ,in inverted commas as you may consider them Christian prevail in society.Well, I know that is untrue in Canada, as in excess of 15,000 Pro life people protest in Ottawa every year, and get no press attention.And yet this Pro Life protest is the largest protest group to ever grace the streets of our Capital.We are still there and will not go away.The problem is that because of the liberal views of our media,this fact is not broadcast leading to the false belief that the majority of our population thinks the way the media does.

According to a poll most people in Canada think that there should be some law remstricting abortions. At present we have no such law, or any law at all, and Liberal and. Conservative parliament's are scared of re-opening the debate!
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » June 12th, 2017, 12:33 pm

When it's capable of suffering, which it certainly isn't for most of a pregnancy.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » June 12th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Going back to the creation of a three parent embryo, soon after Pondero posted this thread the very same thing was mentioned on TV twice, once in an American cop drama made a few years ago, so it isn't anything new.

You all know I have no objection to early abortions but I do think three parent embryos are a bizarre concept and don't see the point of messing about with nature in that way; I know that isn't a rational argument against and I'd be interested to know what others think.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » June 12th, 2017, 9:49 pm

It could prevent the birth of babies with mitochondrial disease, which is horrible, to parents who are carriers.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » June 12th, 2017, 9:55 pm

I get that Sprocket but surely there are other ways of implanting an embryo with one donor. There may be some justification for people to be genetically screened before committing to a relationship or having a child, so they have the choice not to bring a child into the world.

Jewish people are very keen on couples being screened for the Tay-Sachs gene and if both parties have it, they don't marry. Each finds someone else who isn't a carrier. Carrying the sickle cell trait is the same.

Edit: Been reading up and it seems the mother is always the carrier in mitochondrial disease, it's in her ova.

It would be possible for a woman to have a baby with a donor egg fertilised by her husband and then implanted into her.

When we consider the failure rate of IVF, there will certainly be a high failure rate of implantation of three parent embryos, which is basically cloning. Implanted embryos frequently don't 'take'.

I can't help feeling that medical scientists are just doing things like that because they can and I wonder what will come next.
Lyn

Previous

Return to General discussion