Legalization of opioids and other drugs.

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Legalization of opioids and other drugs.

Postby Pondero » June 23rd, 2017, 11:43 pm

In Canada the government is to legalize the use of cannabis for those 18 and over in 2018.
As teenagers brains do not fully develop at that age, this is a most dangerous precedent for this country.I disagree with legalization of any drug for recreational use.We tolerate nicotine in smoking although the dangers of smoking are fully documented. Lung cancer, ,COPD which my brother suffers from, are well known effects of smoking.We tolerate nicotine and alcohol, but to introduce cannabis is a very dangerous step to take.Cannabis cookies contain four times the dosage of cannabis cigarettes and are slower acting, but four times as dangerous.
I see trouble ahead from legalizing cannabis.The only way to curtail its use is to outlaw it, but don't hold your breath.. One way of reducing cannabis consumption is to tax the hell out of it. That I will support.Another measure is to re- form the temperance societies and persuade people to sign a pledge.

It is now the start of gay pride week in Toronto,starting with the dykes parade tomorrow.We are indeed going to Hell in a handbasket.
But, gay pride is another topic.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Re: Legalization of opioids and other drugs.

Postby Sarniajoy » June 24th, 2017, 12:46 pm

I think legalising drugs is a HUGE mistake. They are talking of doing it here in the UK, which would be crazy, imo.

What is wrong with being gay? I hope that guy in the Bible was a homosexual, seeing he had a specific disciple whom he loved. If that was the case I hope he had a great sex life.
Sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » June 24th, 2017, 2:56 pm

FHS Pondy, for the umpteenth time, if cannabis was legalised it would be decent stuff without the additives which most consumers buy illegally nowadays. Plus I doubt legal cannabis would be sold to under 18s anyway.

Gay Pride is fine when you consider what gay people had to endure in the past, even the recent past.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » June 24th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Lyn wrote:FHS Pondy, for the umpteenth time, if cannabis was legalised it would be decent stuff without the additives which most consumers buy illegally nowadays. Plus I doubt legal cannabis would be sold to under 18s anyway.

Gay Pride is fine when you consider what gay people had to endure in the past, even the recent past.

I'm sure it would be Lyn, but it is not only going to be much stronger than the stuff some smoked in the seventies but much purer too.
Already we have the world's highest users of cannabis in the world, by young people.All of it purchased illegally.The answer is to stamp it out not legalize it.
I don't think there is anything to be proud about being gay.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Pondero

Postby Sarniajoy » June 24th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Pondero wrote:
Lyn wrote:FHS Pondy, for the umpteenth time, if cannabis was legalised it would be decent stuff without the additives which most consumers buy illegally nowadays. Plus I doubt legal cannabis would be sold to under 18s anyway.

I'm sure it would be Lyn, but it is not only going to be much stronger than the stuff some smoked in the seventies but much purer too.
Already we have the world's highest users of cannabis in the world, by young people.All of it purchased illegally.The answer is to stamp it out not legalize it.
I don't think there is anything to be proud about being gay.

That is an unpleasant comment!
Sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » June 24th, 2017, 8:04 pm

In Canada there have been many deaths from fetanyl and similar drugs.We have an epidemic of them.It takes place mainly in Vancouver - they really have a problem - and it is spreading to other cities.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » June 24th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Pondero the idea behind 'Gay Pride' is that for centuries gay people were made to feel ashamed.
In itself, sexual orientation is nothing to be either proud or ashamed of, it's just how we are, however gay people were not able to say, "This is how we are".

We have many deaths from drugs like Fentanyl here too Pondy. There are even more in America where some doctors seem to write prescriptions willy nilly.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » June 24th, 2017, 8:33 pm

I will not watch or attend a gay pride parade and any politician (straight or gay) that does so does not represent my views.
Our late Toronto mayor Rob Ford did not attend Gay Pride parades, and would never do so. He didn't speak against the gay community but always found somewhere to go during Gay Pride week.
In Istanbul Gay Pride parades are forbidden (news flash).

We can move on now from the Gay Pride, I hope, to discussing opioids, and other drugs, which is what this topic is supposed to be about.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » June 24th, 2017, 10:32 pm

(There's no compulsion for you to attend Gay Pride Pondy. Attendance is purely optional. I imagine any politician who attends has sympathy with what gay people suffered in the past - plus there is the 'gay vote'.)

Yes. Opiods. Codeine is one, albeit mild. Apparently people become addicted to codeine-based pain killers.

Here we can buy Syndol, Solpadeine and generic Co-Codamol over the counter. I use them occasionally as does John but honestly can't imagine consuming enough to become addicted.

I remember seeing the comedian, Mel Smith, interviewed on TV a long time ago and he said at one time he was taking up to sixty a day!
That is beyond my comprehension. Two and later on another two is quite sufficient for ordinary pain, eg headache or muscular pain.
The pharmacists always advise not to take for more than three days at a time (which in practice means a week). However Mel Smith wasn't taking it for pain! It does have a mild sedative effect sometimes, depends whether you've eaten. John only takes it (he has quite a lot of muscular pain), when he isn't going to drive, like late at night.

(There's no compulsion for you to attend Gay Pride Pondy. Attendance is purely optional. I imagine any politician who attends has sympathy with what gay people suffered in the past - plus there is the 'gay vote'.)
Lyn

Postby Sarniajoy » June 25th, 2017, 7:53 am

Pondero wrote:I will not watch or attend a gay pride parade and any politician (straight or gay) that does so does not represent my views.
Our late Toronto mayor Rob Ford did not attend Gay Pride parades, and would never do so. He didn't speak against the gay community but always found somewhere to go during Gay Pride week.
In Istanbul Gay Pride parades are forbidden (news flash).

We can move on now from the Gay Pride, I hope, to discussing opioids, and other drugs, which is what this topic is supposed to be about.

You brought up the topic of Gay Pride!
Sarniajoy

Next

Return to General discussion