Climate change again.

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Climate change again.

Postby Sprocket » October 2nd, 2017, 11:55 am

Pondero wrote:Global warming or climate change was not appreciatively affected by coal fires in England or the smoking of cigarettes, or the fumes of trucks, lorries, cars and aircraft.
What was affected was the health of individuals who lived ,as I did, surrounded by parents who smoked and by the lighting of coal fires when I returned home from school. And the fog or smog during the cold months in Leeds.
Your ability to miss the point never ceases to amaze me.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Iamme » October 2nd, 2017, 12:42 pm

Pondero wrote:Global warming or climate change was not appreciatively affected by coal fires in England or the smoking of cigarettes, or the fumes of trucks, lorries, cars and aircraft.
What was affected was the health of individuals who lived ,as I did, surrounded by parents who smoked and by the lighting of coal fires when I returned home from school. And the fog or smog during the cold months in Leeds.

You are missing the point! :shock:
Iamme

Postby Pondero » October 2nd, 2017, 1:12 pm

What exactly is the point?
Val made an incorrect comparison between things* that affect badly the health of human beings living at the time ,only, since ( there are no more coal fires) with future climate change/ global warming. For which there is no evidence now that the professors I mentioned earlier say their models are incorrect.

*Smoking, coal fires.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » October 2nd, 2017, 2:59 pm

Pondy, coal is still used for goodness sakes :roll: . How is steel made for example?
Lyn

Postby Pondero » October 2nd, 2017, 4:46 pm

Lyn wrote:Pondy, coal is still used for goodness sakes :roll: . How is steel made for example?

Most coal mines are closed in the UK, thanks to Thatcher. There is much less smog than there used to be back in the fifties. The reason being that coal fired were not a!lowed.
I wasn't there when the abolition of coal house fires took place. Was there some kind of a revolt of house owners/renters?
Surely, electricity heating would be more costly.
Does anyone remember how this government edict to abolish coal fired was received by the public?
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » October 2nd, 2017, 5:50 pm

All underground coal mines have now disappeared from the UK - the last closed a few months ago. There may still be some surface coal mines, I don't know.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » October 2nd, 2017, 6:10 pm

Yes but the UK imports coal! http://www.coalimp.org.uk/3.html

Coal is used in the production of steel amongst other things.
https://www.worldcoal.org/coal/uses-coa ... l-produced
Lyn

Postby Val » October 2nd, 2017, 6:33 pm

As of today there are 9 coal fired power stations in the UK, 2 in Ireland 1 Coal and 1 Peat the others use Gas.
Alberta has 7 coal fired power stations, Manitoba has 1, New Brunswick 2, Nova Scotia 4, Ontario has 5, Saskatchewan has 3
It is estimated that as of 2016 the USA had 600 Coal fired power plants, China has 2,400 Coal fired power plants that they admit to, then you have India and on and on and on
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Pondero » October 2nd, 2017, 7:47 pm

All very interesting but it doesn't prove that global warming exists.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Iamme » October 3rd, 2017, 7:39 am

Far better to assume global warming exists and cut down on carbon emissions, taxing them highly etc, rather than leaving it too late to do anything about it.
Iamme

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion