Climate change again.

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Climate change again.

Postby Sprocket » October 3rd, 2017, 7:43 am

Pondero wrote:All very interesting but it doesn't prove that global warming exists.

You can't prove anything in science - science doesn't deal in proof, only in probabilities. It is overwhelingly probable that human-caused climate change is happening, and I for one would rather take the word of the overwhelming majority of climate scientists than that of Nigel Lawson, Viscount Monckton, and UKIP and the BNP, the two political parties in the UK that officially deny climate change.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » October 3rd, 2017, 9:50 am

F= ma , is proved , so is the mathematical equation for many things in Physics, but, re!uctantly Sprocket I have to agree that Science deals in probabilities.However, the evidence shows that global warming is improbable.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Sarniajoy » October 3rd, 2017, 10:00 am

Sprocket wrote:
Pondero wrote:All very interesting but it doesn't prove that global warming exists.

You can't prove anything in science - science doesn't deal in proof, only in probabilities. It is overwhelingly probable that human-caused climate change is happening, and I for one would rather take the word of the overwhelming majority of climate scientists than that of Nigel Lawson, Viscount Monckton, and UKIP and the BNP, the two political parties in the UK that officially deny climate change.

I agree with you.
Sarniajoy

Postby Val » October 3rd, 2017, 6:39 pm

Pondero wrote:F= ma , is proved , so is the mathematical equation for many things in Physics, but, re!uctantly Sprocket I have to agree that Science deals in probabilities.However, the evidence shows that global warming is improbable.

What has Newton's Second Law of Motion got to do with polluting our atmosphere?

Leslie, if you pump 30 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere every year there is bound to be consequences and these are the greenhouse effect, it’s a simple procedure, carbon dioxide allows “short wavelength” solar radiation from the sun to reach the surface of the earth warming it up, normally a portion of this heat is reflected back into space as thermal radiation but because thermal radiation is of a longer wavelength some of it is absorbed by carbon dioxide molecules and redirected back to the earth causing a rise in temperature, the system is out of balance
The more carbon we put into the atmosphere the warmer the earth becomes, 2011 to 2016 were the warmest 5 years on record.
The surfaces of most tropical oceans have warmed by 0.25-0.6 in the last 20 years.
Hurricanes were always a part of the Earth ecosystem but they are getting more frequent and much more severe.

So what kind of world do we want to leave to our children and grandchildren?
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Pondero » October 3rd, 2017, 7:20 pm

Carbon dioxide is required as a food for plants which in turn change some of it to oxygen. And we need oxygen. I wrote earlier about the evidence being computer generated models of a couple of experts (professors) and leaders in their field. These computer models have been found to be incorrect, by over estimating the global warming of the earth.
Unless they find some other evidence for a future catastrophe which they predicted, then they have , zilch, zero evidence and global warming is not a fact or probability.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Pondero

Postby Sarniajoy » October 4th, 2017, 9:53 am

Pondero wrote:Carbon dioxide is required as a food for plants which in turn change some of it to oxygen. And we need oxygen. I wrote earlier about the evidence being computer generated models of a couple of experts (professors) and leaders in their field. These computer models have been found to be incorrect, by over estimating the global warming of the earth.
Unless they find some other evidence for a future catastrophe which they predicted, then they have , zilch, zero evidence and global warming is not a fact or probability.

It might be too late by the time 100% evidence is verifiable. Future generations might be cursing climate change deniers like you for not doing anything whilst they still had the chance.
Sarniajoy

Postby Val » October 4th, 2017, 10:16 am

We can agree that “Carbon dioxide is required as a food for plants” at least, and
Biologists found out that when they increased the amount of CO2 to plants in a controlled environment like a biosphere/greenhouse they did indeed grow more abundantly, but these same biologists have carried out similar controlled experiments called “Free-Air Concentration Enrichment” and instead of using greenhouses they grew these plants in open fields and pumped in extra CO2 from a network of pipes and they found that many of the crops did not fare so well others did better but ended up with less nitrogen, the result was that insects ate more of the plants to get the nitrogen they require reducing the nutritional value of the plants.
If you increase CO2 without increasing nitrogen, water and other required nutrients plant life will eventually fail, too much CO2 in the atmosphere increases earth temperature this heat reduces the water and nutrients that plants require to survive, after a while you end up with a barren wasteland where nothing can grow, less plants less oxygen less life.

The future of life on earth might see a few humans surviving underground in some form of controlled environments like the following.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS-3
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Pondero » October 4th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:
Pondero wrote:Carbon dioxide is required as a food for plants which in turn change some of it to oxygen. And we need oxygen. I wrote earlier about the evidence being computer generated models of a couple of experts (professors) and leaders in their field. These computer models have been found to be incorrect, by over estimating the global warming of the earth.

It might be too late by the time 100% evidence is verifiable. Future generations might be cursing climate change deniers like you for not doing anything whilst they still had the chance.

There is zero evidence at the moment.When you stop believing in God, you believe in anything ,including climate change!
Pondero

Postby Sarniajoy » October 4th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Pondero wrote:
Sarniajoy wrote:

There is zero evidence at the moment.When you stop believing in God, you believe in anything ,including climate change!

What the hell has the flipping sky fairy got to do with climate change?
Sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » October 4th, 2017, 2:44 pm

What the hell has the flipping sky fairy got to do with climate change?

Climate change is the new religion.
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion