Young children sexting!

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Young children sexting!

Postby gone » July 14th, 2017, 7:42 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40566026

I must admit I was shocked when I read this article. What the heck are the parents doing allowing their kids to take part in this ghastly activity? :o
gone

Re: Young children sexting!

Postby Lyn » July 14th, 2017, 9:15 am

The only way to stop it would be to confiscate their mobiles and I can't see that happening.

I was surprised to read that kids as young as five do it (I doubt there are many that young), but I knew it was a common practice amongst kids, unfortunately.

There was a case quite a while ago, maybe year before last, of a 14 year old boy who had texted a picture of his privates to his 14 year old girlfriend, who in turn put it on Youtube.
He was put on the sex offenders register! I didn't think that was right, it was a gross overreaction, but sending intimate pictures is very common now and seems dreadful!
Lyn

Postby gone » July 14th, 2017, 9:28 am

Lyn wrote:The only way to stop it would be to confiscate their mobiles and I can't see that happening.

I was surprised to read that kids as young as five do it (I doubt there are many that young), but I knew it was a common practice amongst kids, unfortunately.

There was a case quite a while ago, maybe year before last, of a 14 year old boy who had texted a picture of his privates to his 14 year old girlfriend, who in turn put it on Youtube.
He was put on the sex offenders register! I didn't think that was right, it was a gross overreaction, but sending intimate pictures is very common now and seems dreadful!

If my kids were young today I would insist on checking their mobiles etc, on a daily basis, until they were 16.
gone

Postby Lyn » July 14th, 2017, 9:36 am

Many parents would agree with you. However I'm sure there are lots of youngsters who don't do that sort of thing. We just hear about those who do.

It's something that has been highlighted in soap opera land recently; a couple of girls horribly bullied with 'phone photographs and apparently it's possible to doctor the photos to make them look worse or even put someone else's head on a body. I didn't know you could do that on a 'phone. It's been quite harrowing and, I would think, a lesson to youngsters not to get involved with that sort of thing at all, or with kids who do.
Lyn

Postby gone » July 14th, 2017, 10:14 am

Lyn wrote:Many parents would agree with you. However I'm sure there are lots of youngsters who don't do that sort of thing. We just hear about those who do.

It's something that has been highlighted in soap opera land recently; a couple of girls horribly bullied with 'phone photographs and apparently it's possible to doctor the photos to make them look worse or even put someone else's head on a body. I didn't know you could do that on a 'phone. It's been quite harrowing and, I would think, a lesson to youngsters not to get involved with that sort of thing at all, or with kids who do.

I certainly hope my grandchildren (15, 13, 12, 11, 9) aren't daft enough to do it. Knowing them, I think it is highly unlikely. Their parents certainly keep an eye on their mobile phone and internet use.
gone

Postby Lyn » July 14th, 2017, 10:34 am

Good! I doubt they will, Sj, but they will know or know of someone who does.

It seems to be most common amongst the less well educated but of course happens outside of that box too, every school has children who want to be 'naughty', outrageous and push limits.
Lyn

Postby gone » July 14th, 2017, 11:19 am

I am extremely grateful my children were young before the advent of the internet and mobile phones.
gone

Postby Lyn » July 14th, 2017, 11:38 am

They'd have been alright though, Sj, with ambitions and interests above the waist, as your grandchildren are now.
Lyn

Postby gone » July 14th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Lyn wrote:They'd have been alright though, Sj, with ambitions and interests above the waist, as your grandchildren are now.

Admittedly they were so busy with their academic studies they didn't have time for much else apart from Guides and bell ringing.
gone

Return to General discussion