On the Bus , Down East.

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

On the Bus , Down East.

Postby Pondero » September 16th, 2017, 12:21 pm

On the Globus bus to where Anne of Green Gables was played in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada ,from Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Our tour director, an American woman repeatedly called the people from Maine who went to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia at the time of the American Revolution. "Refugees".
I was so fed up of this mis-statement that I repeatedly said, after her outburst, " We call them Loyalists."
After it was said many times, she then called them "United Empire Loyalists".

During the 1812 war between Canada and America,the people of Nova Scotia and Maine, were very reluctant to fight each other as they were intermarried and related.They. were also fishing the same ocean.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Re: On the Bus , Down East.

Postby Pondero » September 16th, 2017, 2:31 pm

What can I say of the 28 people on the bus, who were all retired married couples that is not critical of their behaviour, including ours of course. Most were American citizens and some may have had "a significant partner" with them instead of a married partner. I can only guess.
There were us two Canadians, four Australians and two or four New Zealanders . All the forementioned had done much travelling. An Australian couple from Perth were ending six weeks of travel with us.He was a former sub editor of a Queensland newspaper and jokingly pointed out in a "read out of three things we did in life , of which two had to be the truth..." That he couldn't read.
That was funny.
One of the New Zealand women couldn't stop talking at the farewell dinner, her husband was quiet, he asked me,"How was the lobster?". I believe I answered ."Very good." And that was about all I said all evening, my wife did try to join in the conversation. I did not.*

The Americans deserve a separate post : :lol2:

* There were six at our table and the New Zealand man chose steak not lobster.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Pondero » September 16th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Most American travellers with us were from Iowa, including the grain farmer who farmed 5,000 acres and owned most of it.I found that very impressive, 5,000 is a hell of a lot of acreage. His nearest neighbour is over a quarter of a mile away.He was most civilized compared with the rest of the group of 9 who came with him! I am talking about the men only who were quite characters, wearing baseball caps, blue jeans or shorts no matter whether they were dining in the best hotel or not. One man never removed his baseball cap (even in the shower or in bed...no that can't be true).One man had a Vietnam cap on at times.
The others in the group of nine were from North Dakota .
It was a laugh a minute listening to their jokes and loud comments on the bus, aimed at one another who they had known for a long time.In winter they all go to the same place in Mission,South Texas for vacation.
The female tour director, was ribbed mercilessly and took it in good humour...except for one comment my wife heard about her from one man in the bus who referred to her as ..a blonde something or other.Boy, that made her angry.The man did not say that again after being told off.

It was dull and bleary for an hour or so in Canada on the bus travelling for miles and miles when we stopped for a food break. I assure you after big breakfasts of bacon, sausage and eggs fried to perfection by a hotel cook in front of you, no one was in danger of starving as all the big breakfasts were included in the cost, *as were many of the dinners and one lunch.

After the food break, or coffee break the sun made an almost miraculous appearance. On the bus the tour director said .how wonderful that we found the sun ..at last, to which one loud voiced individual replied.." I am glad I found a washroom.!"
That comment broke me up.I suppose you have to be there to see why!
There was one couple from the Boston area, but the rest of us were from far away.The husband was a retired high school principal and his wife an ex teacher.
I 'll talk about her in the next post.

* Breakfasts also included fruit , juices, corn flakes or other flakes, croissants, pastry etc and lots of coffee.Most men tucked right into the bacon and eggs portion and coffee and orange juice ignoring the corn flakes.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » September 16th, 2017, 9:25 pm

The retired school teacher was alongside me as we went down the e!evator to the hotel lobby and feeling in an exuberant mood I said , in a voice like that of ex president Nixon. " My fellow Americans..let me say this about Trump." :grin:
I could see from the expression on her face that she was not happy.
I continued and my wife backed me up.Between us we didn't think President Trump should enforce DACA. (Deferred Action on Childhood something or other. ) She said they knew years ago that they could be deported.

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was an American immigration policy that allowed some individuals who entered the country illegally as minors to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and to be eligible for a work permit.

She had no sympathy for Haitian refugees given protection after the 2010 earthquake who wanted to stay in the USA and were now afraid of being deported .(Many entered Canada in recent weeks as refugees)
It appears that she doesn't like President Trump personally but liked his policies.

After some discussion with her and her husband at breakfast I got the impression that teachers were underpaid. That caused some bitterness , I fear.
The ex Vietnam vet married to an ex state of Iowa employee, wanted Clinton to win the election. He was paying $300 a month under Obama for Medicaid and was happy with that.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » September 18th, 2017, 10:28 am

Well, apart from discussing people, who are always more Interesting than the ships and statues seen, there is little else .
In the harbour, I did see Bluenose II. And many other ships, including cruise liners in various parts of ,Down East.
I cannot remember , now, which city or town or country (Canada or the U.S.A) they were all in.
In Halifax I had dinner at Henry House, once owned by a Father of Confederation,named William A.Henry. it was a very good dinner of fish and chips , for me, set in 19th century rooms. Afterwards , walking back to the main hotel opposite a park which we crossed, we met a homeless man about to lie down on a bench underneath the Edward Cornwallis statue.A former British army officer of the 18th century who became Governor of Nova Scotia, and turned out the M'kMaq Indians from Ha!ifax by force.Later on he returned to England and became Governor of Gibralter.
Getting on the bus after that in the morning I noticed a couple sleeping under the statue, on a bench.Halifax has it's homeless like other cities.
As I mentioned on another thread Charlottetown Prince Edward Island was playing Anne of Green Gables,which we saw.We had very good seats too. Before that , in Nova Scotia we toured the Cabot Trail.John Cabot was the first man to visit Newfoundland in 1497.whether he visited Nova Scotia or not is unknown.

EDIT.
To be very frank, the purpose of this bus tour for me, not my wife ; was to get away from it all, and eat sausage and bacon breakfasts, and to travel in peace, where possible, in a bus. When I set off, I didn't really care what I saw or what I didn't see. As things went on I found myself interested in the history of this country Canada.
Pondero

Return to General discussion