Genderless?

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Genderless?

Postby Theophilus » December 27th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Lyn wrote:That's a good post. It certainly strikes me as very extreme to undergo all that surgery - what happens if you change your mind later on?

And of course this does happen - people changing their mind. Yet when someone at a university wanted to research this phenomenon and interview some who had actually undergone procedures to reverse surgery, the university blocked it due to "political correctness".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41384473

One of those stories on the BBC that makes me feel old in a "what has the world come to" kind of way, was again this year and in Sweden. A "female only" music concert was causing controversy... not because men were excluded, nor even because of other implications as to why the man-ban was needed (an increasing number of sexual assaults by migrants in Scandinavia and Germany). No, the concert was apparently causing controversy because "transgender men" (i.e. biological women who identify as men) were not banned from the event!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... omes-fire/ (coudn't find the BBC article where I first read about this).

The reason I said it is a type of dysmorphia was deliberate. When a person looks in a mirror and sees themselves as hideously fat, no matter how much they starve themselves, then this is called dysmorphia. They need to be helped otherwise they will end up seriously damaging their body. What is not done, is that they are told their view of their body is correct and legally protected from anyone disagreeing with them.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Val » January 2nd, 2018, 8:32 pm

Church of Sweden to stop referring to God as 'he' or 'Lord'

The Church of Sweden is urging its clergy to use gender-neutral language when referring to the supreme deity, refraining from using terms such as “Lord” and “he” in favour of the less specific “God.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... he-or-lord

Anyways back to the gender or genderless issues.

California Becomes First State to Introduce Gender-Neutral Birth Certificates
California has become the first state to allow its residents to opt for a gender-neutral designation on birth certificates. Christian Caron of the New York Times stated that on October 15h 2017 California Governor Jerry Brown signed the Gender Recognition Act, into law on Monday that recognises a third, non-binary gender category for Californians who do not identify as either male or female.

It is difficult to understand how a birth certificate can state that the baby is gender neutral.
Surely f the baby is born with male genitals it is Male similar with Female genitalia the baby is female at the time of its birth however that might change as the child reaches puberty or becomes sexually aware.

We were friendly with a family that used to live near us until about 25 years ago, they had 2 children a boy and a girl, the girl was 4 years younger than the lad.
Normal enough you would say but almost from the time the lad could walk he was not interested in boy games my son used to play with him but eventually got fed up with what he called the used to say “sissy games” the lad wanted to play.
As the years went on he really suffered at home from a strong willed father, in school and with his peers, the parents tried everything they could think of, getting very dubious advice from doctors and psychiatrists who initially treated him with antidepressants which only made matters worse as they were just treating the physical manifestation of what this boy was going through, his self harm was so serious as to require hospital stays and more antidepressant treatments.

He was about 13/14 when a new teacher started in his school and this really made a difference he called to the parents and advised them to visit a psychoanalyst friend of his, after months of non-medicine treatments the boy was diagnosed with what is now commonly known as gender dysphoria, the visits to the clinic were as beneficial to the parents as the boy himself, now and again the father and myself went out for pint or two and you could see the difference in the man, he told me that his wife always accepted the boy for who he was but he struggled and was ashamed of his son and he freely told me he often tried to beat it out of the lad which was the old fashioned way.

The treatments were ongoing long after they moved away; we have stayed in touch, now and again a phone call or the odd visit.
According to last contact with them the son they wanted was now the best daughter in the world who has gone onto medical school worked 2 part time jobs, studied hard and is now a practicing psychoanalyst.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Lyn » January 3rd, 2018, 6:42 pm

That's a very interesting and, at times, desperately sad story,Val, but am so glad it has a happy ending. I've never actually met anyone like her, only read about.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 27th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Our U of T ,clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson, interviewed by Cathy Newman. He runs rings around her.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-mur ... -the-world
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » January 29th, 2018, 2:06 pm

You keep posting links to Life Site News as though that settles an argument, but everyone on here except you is aware that LSN is appallingly biased and unreliable.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » January 29th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Sprocket wrote:You keep posting links to Life Site News as though that settles an argument, but everyone on here except you is aware that LSN is appallingly biased and unreliable.

It is certainly not so,but even if you believe that, the interview can be seen on Utube. And the writing I quoted is from Rex Murphy's column in Saturdays National Post newspaper.So you can disregard anything LSN says about it and still get the message.
It is difficult for a BBC interviewer to challenge a full professor at the U. Of Toronto on the subject of gender , transphobia etc when the professor has devoted his whole career as a clinical psychologist to that study since the words were first used as well as other studies..
She did make a I gotcha point herself, so it wasn't as completely one-sided as Rex Murphy,or I said so. Nevertheless, it was a walk over for him as it should have been.

EDIT.
My old school pal's daughter-in-law Kwessa, is now a BBC announcer.She moved from another TV station to BBC, whether it is radio or TV I can't remember.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Pondero » March 8th, 2018, 11:17 pm

I believe that women should be paid the same as men for equal work,and until recently this wasn't always so.
But I do not think that people should be paid the same for work of equal value,. When I was at work I used to listen and read about how this was to be determined and there was no agreement.
Pondero

Postby greenjack » March 9th, 2018, 11:06 am

I too agree with the genaral consensus here, to a point, things do seem to be getting "out of hand". For example what is going on with "pangender"? They seem to believe in more than two genders and can be any gender depending on how they feel at the time??? :confused:
However I do have great sympathy for those with chromosomal disorders (e.g. Klinefelters) where they may be XXY, XXXY etc. They may physically look male, for example, but how would you genetically classify them and what gender do they feel?
Cheers
GJ
greenjack

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2018, 5:38 pm

They (people with Klleinfelters) are genetically male with quite a lot of health problems and infertility.
Lyn

Previous

Return to General discussion