Poppies

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Poppies

Postby Pondero » January 8th, 2018, 11:04 am

I was perusing Facebook yesterday and came across a statement by a Railway company in England saying something like this.
Our staff will not wear poppies on duty as this is a multiculturalist country. Now, my instantaneous emotion was one of anger .
How could a nation who fought two wars not keep to it's traditions of respect for their fighting men, dead and alive just so as not to offend some foreign newcomer who was on the other side?
I was disgusted by that railway company bulletin. That is the kind of thing that makes me want to stay away from England.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Re: Poppies

Postby Lyn » January 8th, 2018, 3:09 pm

How ridiculous. Don't believe everything you read. I suggest you stay away from Facebook!
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 8th, 2018, 5:34 pm

We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 8th, 2018, 6:15 pm

I remember the hoo ha about the footballers but in the end they did have poppies.

All newsreaders wore poppies, in fact everyone on TV was wearing poppies for about a fortnight before November 11th, even those competing in a dancing competition, sewn into their costumes. They even did a specially choreographed group dance commemorating those who did not return from war (which was quite moving). Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCn8hz5JJYA

Many people were fed up with seeing poppies all over the telly and asked the question, "Are these people forced to wear a poppy or is it a choice?".

One poor woman was criticised for not having a poppy and she said, quite honestly, it had fallen off on her way from the dressing room (that often happens to me, not the 'dressing room' bit).

Cars had big poppies fixed on the bonnet.

Every shop was selling them.

There are people who put money in the tin but don't take a poppy because they lose them or change their outer clothes so often.

The Co-op down the road to me used to be the British Legion social club for many, many years, it was when I first moved here. I can't remember how long it has been a Co-op but - the Co-op had flipping poppies all over its windows in deference to the building's previous incarnation, as well as selling them at the checkout! The car park had a few on the ground, they do fall off easily, especially if someone takes coat or cardigan off before getting in car and young kids (who love them!) lose them easily.

We are a multicultural country but I can assure you people with non-UK heritage tend to be more patriotic than us. A couple of corner shops, two post offices, two pharmacies and two or three newsagents I visited had poppies on sale and those at the checkout wore them. Oh yes, and the dry cleaners.

I haven't been on a train for ages so cannot comment about the railways. 'bus drivers were wearing poppies.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 8th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Being a multiculturalist country doesn't mean you should forgo your traditions to appease foreign newcomers.There is a predominant culture which supersedes any other, that is the basis of your traditions.
All countries that call themselves "multiculturalist" should know that all cultures are not equal.
The one third of young people who don't agree or the newspapers that challenge prevailing beliefs, such as the Independent or the Guardian (not quoted from) do the country a disservice.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 8th, 2018, 9:32 pm

I don't think you read my post! In it I highlighted the fact that, far from eroding 'our' traditions, people of different ethnic heritages tend to embrace them more than us. Also know more about them, the background to and reasons for.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 8th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Lyn wrote:I don't think you read my post! In it I highlighted the fact that, far from eroding 'our' traditions, people of different ethnic heritages tend to embrace them more than us. Also know more about them, the background to and reasons for.

I did read it and you have no evidence of that.
I have newspaper evidence that there is disagreement about the use of poppies,
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 8th, 2018, 10:36 pm

I don't dispute there are disagreements about poppies, there are every year, always have been. I can remember them when I was at school and it was the same when my son was at school, it's normal. Goes like this:

"Why celebrate imperialism?"
"Why do people feel pressurised into wearing a poppy?"
"Why is war glorified?"
Much more.

Doesn't stop most people wearing poppies though. They seem more popular than ever.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 8th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Lyn wrote:I don't dispute there are disagreements about poppies, there are every year, always have been. I can remember them when I was at school and it was the same when my son was at school, it's normal. Goes like this:

"Why celebrate imperialism?"
"Why do people feel pressurised into wearing a poppy?"
"Why is war glorified?"
Much more.

Doesn't stop most people wearing poppies though. They seem more popular than ever.

By wearing a poppy
Imperialism is not celebrated and war is not glorified.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » January 8th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Like Lyn, I strongly suspect that this is false. Right-wing idiots regularly publish nonsense like this on FB, to get people fuming, and most of them turn out to be nonsense.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Next

Return to General discussion