A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Current T.V. of Interest.

Postby sarniajoy » February 1st, 2018, 8:34 am

We enjoy, 'Silent Witness' on BBC 1.
sarniajoy

Postby GregB » February 1st, 2018, 9:13 am

Steve wrote:
Is it being shown on Spanish TV, presumably with subtitles, or has your downloading friend got it on DVD for you?

No, it's not on Spanish TV or a DVD - my downloading friend put it straight into my computer, as he does with all the films and series he passes on. He has the knack of finding them in English through the Internet and often quite soon after their release or first TV broadcast (eg. he recently let me have 'Blade Runner 2049' and Woody Allen's latest film, 'Wonder Wheel', neither of which is even in DVD yet.) Incidentally, Spanish TV never uses subtitles for foreign films, etc.; there's a system in the TV for all the eight major channels whereby you can switch to the original version.

I always thought the rack was a horizontal torture instrument, too. That's why I imagined the torturer would say to the victim, "Now you're going down for a long stretch"...
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » February 1st, 2018, 1:16 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:We enjoy, 'Silent Witness' on BBC 1.

What's with the "we" :) ?

I'm a great Silent Witness fan too Sj, have seen all of the previous series, some episodes twice. I haven't seen any of the current one yet though, will catch up on iplayer. We're three weeks in so I'll dedicate a couple of days to watching back to back.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » February 1st, 2018, 1:32 pm

Lyn wrote:
Sarniajoy wrote:We enjoy, 'Silent Witness' on BBC 1.

What's with the "we" :) ?

I'm a great Silent Witness fan too Sj, have seen all of the previous series, some episodes twice. I haven't seen any of the current one yet though, will catch up on iplayer. We're three weeks in so I'll dedicate a couple of days to watching back to back.

My husband and I of course, I wasn't using the Royal 'we'!
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » February 1st, 2018, 1:48 pm

I guessed that. The 'married we'.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » February 4th, 2018, 7:28 pm

I was correct that Botswana was mentioned in last week's 'Call the Midwife'. There was a 'You Say" letter in the Sunday Times Culture (TV guide) today in which someone pointed out the anachronism and that in 1963 it was Bechuanaland.

Looking forward to tonight's episode.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » February 19th, 2018, 2:07 pm

I wonder if anyone saw 'Troy' over the weekend? I have to be honest, I fell asleep in it! It was compared to 'Game of Thrones', reviews say it fell short but I can't tell as I didn't see it.

'Call the Midwife' last night was so harrowing! Poor sailor pushed off his ship to shore with no money, only what he stood up in, because the other sailors including the captain thought he had smallpox. He found his way to the Seaman's Mission and he was hounded out of there too. It was all so inhumane because if you think someone has an infectious disease all you have to do is keep away from them and call for medical help. He turned out not to have smallpox but something else and was treated properly at the Jordan Hospital in Surrey (no longer in existence, I looked it up). Won't spoil it for anyone else who hasn't yet seen the episode.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » March 12th, 2018, 6:36 am

As always, Call the Midwife last night was wonderful. The last episode in the series - I feel bereft already!

However, I have been watching the latest series of 'Homeland' on Ch4 on Sunday nights. Having not seen the series before this one (though I could catch up on Netflix) I haven't a clue what is going on! There last series I watched was set mainly in Pakistan (Islamabad) and partly in Afghanistan, where Saul was taken after being kidnapped. There were some extremely good looking actors in that, quite notably so, and Carrie had a brief affair with a young medical student in order to get info about his uncle who seemed to be a bit of Bin Laden. He was the one who took Saul to Afghan. The young med student was quite innocent and rather lovely but, of course, he 'fell in love' with Carrie who had promised him all sorts, like a place in a medical school in the USA ... none of which were forthcoming. He ended up being shot - by his uncle!!!

Fast forward to current series, set in America. There is a woman president, can't work out if she's a goody or a baddy. Her close associate/advisor is played by Linus Roache. Saul was in prison for I don't know what but is now out and actively working. There was a place out in the country where an informal army congregated, they all had firearms and Saul seemed to have some sort of role but they weren't stable, a young boy was shot who had nothing to do with any of it.

Carrie's daughter (with light red hair like her father), is now about five or six and Carrie seems to take her parenting seriously at last but her sister does the bulk of it. Carrie spies on the president - and buys medication illegally to control her bipolar disorder.

Even though I haven't a clue what it's about, it's riveting!
Lyn

Postby GregB » March 12th, 2018, 8:30 am

I've seen all the series' seasons upto the one before the current one (7), thanks to my downloading pirate pal, Xavi. The series has changed its nature radically since the early seasons, which centred on Carrie's relationship with ex-serviceman and freed prisoner of Islamic terrorists, Brody (played by Damian Lewis, an English actor despite his convincing American accent.) Here's a brief resumé from Wikipedia of season 6 (skip it if you'd rather watch the season itself):

"Taking place several months after the previous season, Carrie Mathison is back in the United States, living in Brooklyn, New York with her young pre-school aged daughter. She is now working at a foundation whose efforts are to provide aid to Muslims living in the United States. Peter Quinn is alive but has suffered a major stroke and is incapacitated but seemingly, turned to a junkie. Saul Berenson and Dar Adal are still CIA operatives and are dealing with counter-terrorism within the United States. The season features the results of a presidential election of a female candidate, and takes place between election day and inauguration day. The season also has a storyline regarding the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action."

It seems you missed season 5, so this article will also help you to understand the last two seasons, although be warned: it contains spoilers!
https://www.bustle.com/p/this-homeland- ... on-6-31720

My favourite characters in the series were Saul and Quinn, the latter played by Rupert Friend, another fine English actor with a convincing American accent. (He has a role in the excellent black comedy film directed by Armando Iannucci, 'The Death Of Stalin', in which he plays the dictator's alcoholic son, Vasily. More about that later on the appropriate thread.)

I won't spoil your enjoyment by revealing whether the female US president is a baddy or a goody! Let's just say I'm looking forward to watching the latest season to see how things turn out with her after seeing her rise to power in the last one.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » March 12th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Thanks Greg.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion