Current T.V. of Interest.

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Current T.V. of Interest.

Postby maz » April 13th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Brilliant TV progs recently - Mum BBC 2 - hilarious (dry humour) and incredibly poignant (speaking as a widow of similar age to central character).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09sykkn

and 'Keeping Faith' on BBC Wales but on iPlayer/Box set, currently - one of the best dramas I have watched in years... Eve Myles 'stars' in it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b09s7357
Beautiful background songs, including Faith's Song, which was written and sung by Amy Wadge who co-wrote Thinking Out Loud with Ed Sheeran.
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby Lyn » April 13th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Thanks for that. 'Mum' didn't appeal to me much though I liked the look of the cast but I'd never heard of 'Keeping Faith', which I will watch on your recommendation.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » April 14th, 2018, 6:30 am

As I mentioned elsewhere, the BBC are making a three-part serialisation of H.G.Wells's 'The War of the Worlds', faithful to the book, and therefore set in England in about 1900, and with the invaders coming from Mars: there have been a number of film adaptations, but they have mostly updated the time-setting to the period the film was made in, and often move the action to America, if it's an American film, and usually have the invaders coming from much further away then Mars, now that we know that there is no advanced life on Mars, and probably no life at all. When I was in my teens, I saw the early-50s film, set in the USA of course and updated to the 50s, which was notable for its sophisticated special effects for the time. I enjoyed it enormously. More recently, there was 'Independence Day', which didn't overtly claim to be from the novel, but ingeniously referred to it in the way the aliens were finally defeated (I'll say no more, in case anyone is unfamiliar with the book), and the Tom Cruise version, which didn't, I don't think, explicitly say that the aliens were from Mars, but sort-of referred to the book with the red alien vegetation that starts to take over.
List of adaptations.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby maz » April 14th, 2018, 9:22 am

it might be interesting to watch if more authentic...
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby Lyn » April 14th, 2018, 4:07 pm

I am quite looking forward to the new TV adaptation and hope I don't miss it, I'm so good at missing dramas on TV nowadays and rarely get around to catching up.

Maz I started watching 'Keeping Faith' before going to bed last night and aim to continue.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » May 21st, 2018, 6:45 am

I never did get around to watching any more of 'Keeping Faith'.

However I started watching 'A Very English Scandal' last night on BBC1, a three-parter about Jeremy Thorpe. The hour went quickly, Hugh Grant was brilliant and I loved his accent which was reminiscent of James&Edward Fox and sounded authentic. Interesting character though Jeremy Thorpe was and I remember him, the scandal and the trial, very well, by the end of episode one my opinion was that he was quite ruthless and deeply unpleasant

Worth watching.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 58056.html
Lyn

Postby Lyn » May 26th, 2018, 6:12 pm

The 1980 film, 'The Jazz Singer', is on TV tonight at 8pm on TrueMovies1. I intend to watch it, saw it years ago and enjoyed, depends what interruptions I have this evening.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » May 27th, 2018, 12:47 am

I did watch 'The Jazz Singer' and enjoyed it but not as much as when I first saw it. It wasn't what you would call an exciting film but happy and sad in different ways. At one point I went off the main character because he seemed rather self centred but it all turned out well in the end. Neil Diamond was very good and sang well as one would expect. I didn't realise he came from a similar background to Jes and can imagine how keen he was to play the part. So not a bad bit of box watching for one night, I'll catch up with Casualty on iplayer before next week's episode.
Lyn

Postby GregB » May 27th, 2018, 9:50 am

As I imagine you already know, the film was a remake of the 1927 Al Jolson film of the same title and the first 'talkie'. I haven't seen the 1980 version, but I suppose the notorious blackface sequence of the original ("Mammie...") wasn't repeated. Incidentally, I see Laurence Olivier was in the remake as the father of the Neil Diamond character and the daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Lucie Arnaz, had a starring role, too.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » May 27th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Yes the 'blackface' bit was repeated. I don't know if it was the same as the bit in the Al Jolson film, it wasn't much but quite funny. Jes was singing and playing at a 'black' club with three black friends, replacing someone else who could not be there, and the only way he could get away with it was to have his face blacked. That was OK at first until someone in the audience saw his hands were not black!

Laurence Olivier was extremely believable as his dad and it's not the only time I've seen him play an elderly Jewish man but with his specs and a hat on he always makes me think of Harry Worth. That probably sounds almost sacrlegious considering how gorgeous Oliver was as a younger man.
https://uk.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search? ... D10.1.3.53

Tonight I will see the second episode of 'A Very English Scandal' which I am really looking forward to and tomorrow King Lear is on BBC2 from 9.30pm but I may not be watching all of that, depends whether or not I go out.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion