Current T.V. of Interest.

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Current T.V. of Interest.

Postby maz » March 3rd, 2008, 8:58 pm

Not that I'll watch it (watching 'The Palace' for a laugh and non-thinking relaxation)....
but...on now...

Stephen Hawking: Master of the Universe Monday 03 March
9:00pm - 10:00pm
Channel 4
Twenty years after A Brief History of Time flummoxed the world with its big numbers and black holes, its author, Stephen Hawking, concedes that the "ultimate theory" he'd believed to be imminent - which would conclusively explain the origins of life, the universe and everything - remains frustratingly elusive.
poor guy :cry:

Yet despite his failing health and the seeming impossibility of the task, Hawking is still devoted to his work; an extraordinary drive that's captured here in fleeting interview snippets and footage of the boffin sharing a microwave curry with some fawning PhD students. Though the pop-science tutorials that dapple the first of this two-part biography are winningly perky, Hawking, alas, remains as tricky to fathom as his boggling quantum whatnots.
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Re: Current T.V. of Interest.

Postby hughm » March 4th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Hi maz

I caught a small part of this programme. He is a strange figure. For all his intelligence, what is the ultimate purpose of discovering the origins of life? Sometimes, less i sreally more.

God bless

Hugh :hello:
God bless

hughm

Postby Lyn » March 4th, 2008, 10:02 pm

It's important to him, Hugh, he lives in his head. We can't help the way we are. There will always be people who ponder the imponderable. I find Hawking a fascinating character and always have. Wish I had seen the programme. I hope it is repeated.
Lyn

Postby Hesperus » March 5th, 2008, 8:18 pm

I saw this and confess that I felt great sadness for Stephen Hawking, not his condition but the hopeless quest upon which he has expended his life. Great are his achievements in his field, his work on black holes is beyond my comprehension but that little that I do understand is simply stunning to my mind.

The search for the ultimate answers, has eluded the great minds of humanity, it is perhaps more telling that in this modern age of advancement those final answers are still beyond our ability to set down, perhaps that's as it should be, because with out the challenge what would there be to aim for?

Love Cameron.
"He heals the broken-hearted, and binds up their wounds. He counts the number of stars and calls them all by their names"
Hesperus

Postby Rosemary Hannah » March 5th, 2008, 10:02 pm

Well, don't have a telly but - frankly, we owe a lot to physicists, and I think that expanding knowledge and understanding is a noble quest.
Rosemary Hannah

Postby Hesperus » March 6th, 2008, 12:44 am

Rosemary Hannah wrote:Well, don't have a telly but - frankly, we owe a lot to physicists, and I think that expanding knowledge and understanding is a noble quest.

No doubt about it.

I simply thought that the image of Stephen Hawking nearing the end of his life (as he surely must be) and having admitted that despite his best efforts, that his goal still eluded him was somewhat reminiscent of Albert Einstein and his own admissions as he drew close to the end of his own life.
"He heals the broken-hearted, and binds up their wounds. He counts the number of stars and calls them all by their names"
Hesperus

Postby hughm » March 6th, 2008, 8:37 am

Victoria Plum wrote:It's important to him, Hugh, he lives in his head. We can't help the way we are. There will always be people who ponder the imponderable. I find Hawking a fascinating character and always have. Wish I had seen the programme. I hope it is repeated.

Very true Vix

I guess it takes all kinds to make a world

God bless

God bless

hughm

Postby Sprocket » March 7th, 2008, 10:32 am

hughm wrote:Hi maz

I caught a small part of this programme. He is a strange figure. For all his intelligence, what is the ultimate purpose of discovering the origins of life? Sometimes, less i sreally more.

God bless

God gave us brains (well, most of us), and intended us to use them. Curiosity is good. Full Stop. Also, he isn't trying to discover the origins of life. He's a mathematician and physicist, not a biologist. Do try to keep up.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » March 10th, 2008, 2:38 pm

I'm still hoping to see it when it is repeated and apparently there is going to be a part ll. Knowing me, I've missed that already.

Other current TV of interest of a non-scientific kind is "Larkrise to Candleford", but only one more episode unfortunately. I have loved every minute of it. I haven't read the books but intend to do so. "Lewis" was quite good last night too. Unusual for me to have an entire evening of box watching, I got a bit restless halfway through "Lewis" because I had been sitting in front of the box for two hours, but I made myself stay put and it was worth it.
Lyn

Postby maz » March 29th, 2008, 5:55 pm

how interesting! what a fair lady.

(from Radio Times Online)

Martin Luther King: American Prophet Saturday 29 March
8:00pm - 9:00pm
BBC2

Former Labour MP Oona King presents this thoughtful assessment of the civil rights leader on the 40th anniversary of his assassination. She's no relation, but her uncle was Martin Luther King's lawyer, and her father was also caught up in the 1960s' civil rights movement. Her thesis on this journey through the Deep South is that by making King into a secular saint, we have airbrushed his faith out of the picture. Oona is "a devout atheist" but she argues that, for King, being a Baptist pastor (from a line of them) was central to his sense of mission. He saw himself as a prophet called by God to redeem the soul of America. It's a persuasive case, and excellent interviewees back it up. Best of all, in the archive clips King's oratory still makes you shiver.
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Next

Return to General discussion