Current T.V. of Interest.

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Current T.V. of Interest.

Postby Sprocket » January 26th, 2018, 9:21 am

One thing about the current series of CtM that I've noticed is that no-one looks particularly cold, even though it's supposed to be the coldest winter of the 20th Century. The midwives are all wearing thick cloaks, but those uniform berets they wear would not protect their ears, noses or foreheads, which is where you really feel the cold when cycling in bitter weather (or walking, for that matter), and I don't remember seeing anyone's breath condensing either. Of course, it wasn't really cold when they filmed - the snow is artificial - but they might have tried to look cold.
Last edited by Sprocket on January 26th, 2018, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » January 26th, 2018, 9:43 am

I hadn't noticed that. They were wearing cardigans and things indoors but you're right, they would have breathed out condensation. I suppose they can't do everything. It looked cold, the fake snow was quite effective. I felt cold when they talked about power cuts, could imagine the chill in Nonnatus House, I'd probably stay in bed with a hot water bottle if it happened now!

We didn't have any power cuts where I lived and though all the grown ups moaned about the weather, it didn't bother me much, I think kids acclimatise easily and the snow was exciting.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 26th, 2018, 10:40 am

Up in Yorkshire where I was born and had my being, I never saw a nun, certainly not a midwife, and as having babies is not as common as seeing people going on buses, I wonder if this piece of fiction has any semblance to reality in the north. Consider also that Catholics are a distinct minority. Only the remnants of the Irish diaspora were Catholics where I lived. Surely, there were other midwives , non- Catholic ones who were in the majority.
Last night I saw Martin Clune play the part of Doc Martin. It was perhaps the final episode of that program, because the actors all spoke, after the show. I don't know, but it was the show where Laura left her husband, and he, Doc Martin followed her and got her off a plane to Spain so she could have a brain operation . Up in Buffalo, New York we are still on series 8, which is interesting.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 26th, 2018, 11:13 am

We've had a new series since then, Pondy. Maybe two. I won't spoil them for you but they he and Louisa do get back together. Doc Martin is wonderful.

The Nonnatus nuns did exist, Call the Midwife is based on books by Jennifer Worth, called, "Call the Midwife" an "The Shadow of the Workhouse". She was a midwife at Nonnatus House in Poplar for a few years. She loved the nuns. She changed some of the characters in her books a little bit to preserve privacy but not a great deal. Now we have moved on from the Jennifer Worth books and Heidi Thomas is writing the scripts (I think), still keeping the same spirit.

The Nonnatus were Anglican nuns, Pondy. They are called the Sisters of the Anglican Community of St John the Divine. There are still a few of them in a convent in another part of the country, working in the parish.

Here's something from the Telegraph about them: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... -show.html

This is quite an interesting article about them in the era of Call the Midwife: https://www.rcm.org.uk/news-views-and-a ... emory-lane

I knew a Catholic nun years ago who was a district midwife in Scotland. She worked tirelessly in that profession for many years until she retired.

The Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul included nurses and midwives, also social workers and probation officers. They worked in the community in the north of England but there aren't many left now.
Last edited by Lyn on January 26th, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 26th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Thank you Lyn, very enlightening
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 26th, 2018, 12:45 pm

You're welcome. The books I mentioned by Jennifer Worth are very good, I recommend them.
(Just seen I put "Popular" instead of "Poplar" in my previous post and am off to correct.)

There are only five nuns of that order left now, they're all quite elderly and live in Birmingham. They had to sell their convent because it was too expensive to repair, moved somewhere smaller. Still do parish/community work.

The Anglican Sisters of St John the Divine have a larger community in Toronto.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » January 29th, 2018, 7:59 am

Last night's Call the Midwife was so very good on many levels but I felt so sorry for the poor girl who had a stroke after giving birth, leaving her paraplegic. It was terribly sad, especially when you consider how marvellous stroke treatment is nowadays even in the elderly, never mind a young mother. She did make progress and went to a rehabilitation centre once a week to learn how to use her good arm and other things, and seemed happy at the end, but it really hit home. My aunt (mum's older sister) had a stroke after her last baby but recovered completely, was not paralysed but became unconscious for a while and needed care for some time. Another one of my mum's siblings, a boy, had a stroke when he was a baby which left him a little bit disabled and epileptic. He died at 26. The programme was sobering but not entirely. Great fun when a young woman gave birth in the back of her van with her husband in attendance, though he hadn't wanted to be around when she gave birth. Midwife arrived in time and between the three of them, they delivered a healthy girl and mum was fine. Dad was jubilant and that was very funny.

Another series I am watching on Channel4 at 9pm Wednesdays is 'Kiri'. About a social worker, Miriam, played by Sarah Lancashire and a little girl with whom she is involved who is murdered following a visit to her paternal grandparents, which the social worker approved and arranged. It was the first time such a visit was unsupervised. We still don't know who the murderer is (the grandfather and his wife are not suspects - her father is but I don't think it's him); there will be great surprises but the hatred meted out to Miriam by the press and general public - she is even punched in the face in a market - plus the lack of support from her superiors, is horrifying. That sort of thing happens in real life and is grossly unfair. Up to the point of the poor child going missing and eventually found dead, she had been highly regarded.

I am now watching 'Jurassic World' which was on TV over the Christmas/New Year period but I didn't see. My son downloaded it for me yesterday. I won't watch it all in one go. I love anything about dinosaurs and this promises to be a bit different to the other Jurassic films (so far not but I'm only about 15 mins into the film). BD Wong is one of the stars, he plays Dr George Huang, forensic psychiatrist, in Law & Order: SVU. He is a Dr something in this but not medical, to do with paleontology or genetics I think. He has 'manufactured' a 50 foot dinosaur. Not from scratch of course but has obviously done something in the embryonic stage to make it so huge.

Edit later: It really isn't that much different to the other Jurassic films, not bad. Lots of kids' stuff. I can imagine littl'uns enjoying it on big screen. No-one eaten yet but still a bit to go. I'm more annoyed about having NO fish fingers in my freezer, wanted a fish finger sandwich! I asked John to get some from the Co-op yesterday when he went to get paper and he said he had bought two packets - but bought two packets of Birds Eye beefburgers by mistake! Shows I'm only fanciful though, not really hungry because now I want nothing to eat.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » January 29th, 2018, 1:37 pm

CtM was indeed good, but one, or possibly two, mistakes: firstly, nurse Crane's car had a registration number with the year-letter B, which was introduced in 1964, but it was supposed to be Spring 1963, and anyway, her Morris Minor is supposed to be fairly old; and the stroke lady was at first unable to speak, but her stroke was left-sided, and it is right-sided strokes that also produce aphasia. However, I'm sure the series has lots of expert medical advice, so I suppose they knew what they were doing. The car number-plate error, being much more trivial, might slip under the net more easily.
1963 was. of course, the year sexual intercourse began, according to Phillip Larkin, "between the end of the 'Chatterley' ban and the Beatle's first LP." It was also the year in which 'Dr Who' started, in November. It'll be interesting to see whether there are any passing references to the Beatles or Dr Who later in the series.
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » January 29th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Sprocket

Postby Lyn » January 29th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Left sided brain stroke does cause aphasia and apraxia.

I laughed at what you said about Nurse Crane's car, my husband does that. Even if we are deeply engrossed in a programme or if he appears to be half asleep he'll interject with something about cars being out of sync with the period of the drama. My son is exactly the same only not with cars.

I'm sure Dr Who will be mentioned and the Beatles for 'Love me Do'.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion