Current T.V. of Interest.

A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic
Forum rules
A place for serious discussion on any non-religious topic

Re: Current T.V. of Interest.

Postby gone » January 30th, 2018, 8:19 am

We watched Sunday's episode of CTM last night, it was better than the one of the previous week, imo. Sadly the racist attitudes displayed in the 50s/60s are rearing their ugly heads again, with the rise of far right groups. :shock:
gone

Postby GregB » January 30th, 2018, 8:33 am

Steve wrote:
(...) the stroke lady was at first unable to speak, but her stroke was left-sided, and it is right-sided strokes that also produce aphasia.

My wife's cerebral haemorrhage of 1998 occurred on the left side of her brain, resulting in the aphasia (and comprehension, reading and writing difficulties) from which she suffers to the same degree today (logopedic therapy was ineffective.) Another aneurysm was found on the right side, which required a lengthy operation to clip it (that's the side that generally produces paralysis after strokes or haemorrhages.) She was fortunate; around 25% of such occurrences are fatal.
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

Postby gone » January 30th, 2018, 9:24 am

My husband burst aneurysm trashed the whole of the left side of his brain in 2006. He has aphasia, and worst of all cannot do anything of an academic nature, by far his greatest love. As I have said before it would have been kinder if he hadn't survived, as his brain damage frustrates him so much.
gone

Postby Sprocket » January 30th, 2018, 12:03 pm

The left side of the brain controls the right side of the bady, and vice-versa, and language production and comprehension are controlled by two areas on the left side of the brain, Broca's area for production and Wernicke's area for comprehension, which is why aphasia usually accompanies right-sided strokes, but not left-sided ones.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby gone » January 30th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Sprocket wrote:The left side of the brain controls the right side of the bady, and vice-versa, and language production and comprehension are controlled by two areas on the left side of the brain, Broca's area for production and Wernicke's area for comprehension, which is why aphasia usually accompanies right-sided strokes, but not left-sided ones.

It is damage to the left side of the brain which causes aphasia.
gone

Postby Sprocket » January 30th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:
Sprocket wrote:The left side of the brain controls the right side of the bady, and vice-versa, and language production and comprehension are controlled by two areas on the left side of the brain, Broca's area for production and Wernicke's area for comprehension, which is why aphasia usually accompanies right-sided strokes, but not left-sided ones.

It is damage to the left side of the brain which causes aphasia.

That's what I said: right-sided strokes are caused by damage to the left side of the brain, because of the cross-over that occurs in the spinal column.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » January 31st, 2018, 8:35 am

I've watched the first part of a three-part miniseries called 'Gunpowder', which tells the story of the 1605 Catholic plot to blow up the Palace of Westminster. It's well acted and the setting, costumes, etc. seem authentic, as well as the graphic execution scenes where, first, a Catholic woman, stripped naked and lying on her back, is covered with a large metal plate on which weights are placed, crushing her to death. This is followed by the partial hanging of a young recusant man, followed by his disembowelling and quartering, barbaric punishments indeed. There's also a scene where the king, James I, is seen defecating into a kind of commode, after which he just hoists up his voluminous pantaloons and walks away - no toilet paper in those days! People must have stank...
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2018, 10:54 am

We don't know how lucky we are today . We have toilet paper. Why even during the darkest days of WWII we had newspaper torn up in strips in every lavatory. They say King Henry VIII had a bath once a year. In the MIddle East of course they had leaves to wipe their bums with.
Anyway, I don't mean to spoil your breakfast er lunch over there. I will now enjoy my cup of coffee and then do the Esmonde White's ''Classical Stretch'' exercises for half an hour on TV , to keep the old bones creaking along.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » January 31st, 2018, 10:39 pm

People did stink until the modern era, but I believe that the filthiness of past ages is exaggerated. There is the famous quote about Queen Elizabeth 1st having a bath every month "whether she needed it or not", but she probably washed every day.
'Gunpowder' was great, but it doesn't get any less gruesome - there are Jews being burnt at the stake in Spain, Fawkes and another man being racked (upright, oddly - I thought they were laid on a frame), and Fawkes having his fingernails pulled out. Other unpleasantnesses as well.
The James crapping scene was a little odd - he didn't wash his hands, either. I'm sure they did wipe their arses back then, probably with straw or such-like. Roman soldiers apparently used sponges on sticks, which were kept in vinegar to disinfect them - they didn't know why vinegar helped prevent infection, of course, but I suppose they knew from experience that it did.
Is it being shown on Spanish TV, presumably with subtitles, or has your downloading friend got it on DVD for you?
Sprocket

Postby GregB » February 1st, 2018, 8:17 am

Post corrected and moved forward.
Last edited by GregB on February 1st, 2018, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion