EU Referendum

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

EU Referendum

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » April 12th, 2016, 5:36 pm

My pamphlet from the HM Government arrived today, with the Government's case laid out. When I get the time, I intend to scrutinize it.

One thing I didn't realise is that I will have to register in order to to vote. I thought it would be automatic as I'm on the Electoral Register.

I haven't made my mind up for definite yet. Has anyone here decided one way, or another which way they are going to vote?
SwordOfTheSpirit

Re: EU Referendum

Postby Serenjen » April 12th, 2016, 8:12 pm

If you're already on the electoral role, you'll get a vote. It's just there are so many (potential in voters) that aren't.

I think I'm an in.
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Lyn » April 12th, 2016, 9:07 pm

That's a relief to know we don't have to register if we're already on the voters' register; I thought that was strange and wondered why we had to register again. Seemed a bit Big Brotherish.

I'm an in. Can't wait to get my leaflet though, after all the fuss about it.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » April 12th, 2016, 10:27 pm

SwordOfTheSpirit wrote:One thing I didn't realise is that I will have to register in order to to vote. I thought it would be automatic as I'm on the Electoral Register.

I haven't made my mind up for definite yet. Has anyone here decided one way, or another which way they are going to vote?

Someone on Facebook said you had to register as well. I think it's an urban myth that's doing the rounds, but I registered online anyway, to be on the safe side.
I'm voting to stay, though I won't be heartbroken if the vote goes the other way. If we do stay, I'd like us to stop being grumpy foot-draggers, always seeking special exemptions, and engage with the E.U. properly.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » April 13th, 2016, 5:17 am

I agree with what you said Sprocks.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 13th, 2016, 10:18 am

If I lived in England I would vote for separation from the EU.Being ruled from Brussels ,even in part , I would find disagreeable. It is not all a question of economics -but of patriotism.Be independent.

Over here, I would tear up all free trade agreements with the United States and start from scratch, putting up tarrifs on imported goods in an effort to persuade us to manufacture at home .That is what the Japanese did after WW2, .
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Serenjen » April 13th, 2016, 11:27 am

Can I vote in the EU referendum?

You can vote in this referendum if you are registered to vote in the UK, are 18 or over on 23 June 2016 and are:

A British or Irish citizen living in the UK, or
A Commonwealth citizen living in the UK who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK
A British citizen living overseas who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years
An Irish citizen living overseas who was born in Northern Ireland and who has been registered to vote in Northern Ireland in the last 15 years
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Lyn » April 13th, 2016, 11:39 am

We are not ruled by Brussels, Pondero. The EU is centred in Brussels, it could be anywhere. The parliament consists of elected members from EU countries.
Lyn

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » April 13th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Sprocket wrote:Someone on Facebook said you had to register as well. I think it's an urban myth that's doing the rounds, but I registered online anyway, to be on the safe side.

Thanks for that. It was something on the last page of the booklet I noticed that mentioned registering, but I haven't looked at it in depth yet.

If we do stay, I'd like us to stop being grumpy foot-draggers, always seeking special exemptions, and engage with the E.U. properly.

I agree. Too many times, it seems as if there is one foot in, one foot out. I think we'd get a lot more out of Europe if we engage properly.
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Pondero » April 13th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Lyn wrote:We are not ruled by Brussels, Pondero. The EU is centred in Brussels, it could be anywhere. The parliament consists of elected members from EU countries.

I beg to differ. Even a Parliament rules, though not like a King of old, and even though you have your own Parliament Brussels rules. They determine some matters of trade between the EU nations , and the English are definitely not the majority in the EU Parliament, so Europian nations who belong are telling you what to do. Ostensibly for the benefit of all.But, then as I said if I lived in England , economics of the EU would come second to being ruler in my own house.Patriotism and England for the English would take priority.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Next

Return to Politics