Is the government of NewZealand anti-Semitic?

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Is the government of NewZealand anti-Semitic?

Postby Pondero » December 24th, 2016, 11:13 am

I cannot understand why NewZealand,supported Senegal, Malaysia and Venezuela in its resolution before the UN to condemn Israel for building West Bank settlements.? That is why I ask the question.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Re: Is the government of NewZealand anti-Semitic?

Postby Sprocket » December 24th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Maybe because the settlements are illegal and immoral. Good for New Zealand.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » December 24th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Pondero wrote:I cannot understand why NewZealand,supported Senegal, Malaysia and Venezuela in its resolution before the UN to condemn Israel for building West Bank settlements.? That is why I ask the question.

Even more of a surprise to me Pondero are the actions of the USA. A parting shot from Barack Obama perhaps?

Choosing not to veto, Obama lets anti-settlement resolution pass at UN Security Council
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Sprocket » December 24th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Good for Barak too, then.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » December 24th, 2016, 4:44 pm

I wouldn't call that anti-semitism.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 24th, 2016, 5:22 pm

It is very very strange that an English speaking country would join forces with the likes of Venezuela, Senegal and Malaysia in proposing such a motion.Fortunately it means nothing because Trump will take some sort of action to counter it.It will be difficult as the Obama administration did not veto it, and it can't be brought up again and vetoed. It can be ignored by the United States who will veto any action the Mainly Muslim (except New Zealand which has few if any)nations will take to add to the motion.
The Prime Minister of New Zealand, a Mr.English is responsible for this outrage.I will delve deeper into his character when I can.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 24th, 2016, 6:25 pm

In 2011, the U.S vetoed a similar resolution .Why didn't it veto it this time, and while we are at it where does The U.K stand in all of this.They could have vetoed it. Oh, maybe it's because they don't want to interfere with Saudi Arabia who supplies oil to the U.K.
Now, as for the very recent Prime Minister of New Zealand's decision.He has only been Prime Minister a couple of weeks, I can find out very little about his attitude to Israel from his past government work in other areas. I just don't know.Perhaps the outgoing foreign minister whose name I forget had something to do with it. Mr.English praised the man for his experience in foreign affairs.

EDIT If done in the interrests of peace as the supporters of the resolution maintain. How do you explain Israel's total emphatic resistance to such a motion ? Israel will ignore the motion.New Zealand must have known that.If so then anti-semitism is the reason.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 24th, 2016, 9:46 pm

This is a contentious debate and none of us knows the truth about why New Zealand did what it did, so a Merry Christmas to all.

EDIT.
Israel has every right to build in certain West Bank Areas and that includes Bethlehem for sure. That has always been part of Ancient Israel .When I went to Bethlehem we were greeted by guns pointed at our bus and was facing a portrait in a bus shelter of a Palestinian leader. Arafat I think.I heard the call to prayer being sung from a nearby mosque.
I still can't understand why New Zealand supported that resolution.
Last edited by Pondero on December 25th, 2016, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 24th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Lyn

Postby Sprocket » December 25th, 2016, 6:32 am

The settlements are illegal under international law, they make any hope of peace almost impossible, they intimidate the Palestinians, and they are discriminatory:the occupied territories are criss-crossed by roads only Israelis are allowed to use. If it was any other country, there'd be an international boycott in place against Israel until it withdrew from the occupied territories, but the USA's hard-right evangelical Christian lobby, which is powerful and manages to be on the wrong side of most issues, means that America will always veto any move to boycott it.
Sprocket

Next

Return to Politics