Where are you on the political chart?

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Re: Where are you on the political chart?

Postby Sprocket » April 12th, 2017, 11:27 am

Jeremy is not a great public speaker, true, but there are more important qualities in a politician.
It's odd that we haven't got any political parties in the lower right quadrant. I think the American Libertarian party would go there.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » April 12th, 2017, 11:47 am

I gave up trying to answer the hypothetical questions asked because I would never ask such questions to determine where I lay on the political spectrum . One of the first questions was of the type, "I f you were going to murder a person which of the following methods would you choose."
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 12th, 2017, 11:58 am

Some questions were difficult, I agree, but not the first ones.
Here are the first four:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations. Strongly disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly agree
I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong. Strongly disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly agree
No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it. Strongly disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly agree
Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races. Strongly disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly agree

I'd have thought they were easy to answer
Lyn

Postby GregB » April 12th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Responding to Steve's latest post:
Well, I'm not really so concerned with his speaking style in the end (though one yearns for what Spitting Images could have done with his narcolepsy inducing drone) as much as his irrelevance as a future prime minister, let alone leader of a great British political party. Let me reiterate earlier points made, basically that the British do not like political extremes, left or right, and have never voted representatives of such tendencies into power. This was made manifestly clear with the disastrous choice of left-winger Michael Foot as leader of the Labour Party in 1980, with the disaster of the 1983 general election, when Labour got the lowest share of the vote since 1918. (The wiser choice of Denis Healey would have been a total game-changer.)

I've looked at all the general election results of the last hundred years and the fact is that Labour have never really triumphed convincingly at the polls (the 'khaki election' of 1945 being one anomalous exception due to unprecedented circumstances; the other in a moment.) I would insist that the best direction for a radical political party in the great reforming tradition of the Liberal Party of Gladstone was, and still is, in the form of what we now call social democracy - piecemeal but solid gradual reform, mixed economy but with government controls of abuses, etc. This could have been the future of the Labour Party in the mid-90's if the social democratic project (which fizzled out with the SDP and the preposterous Woy Jenkins) hadn't been hi-jacked by that grinning, self-serving, guitar-strumming opportunist, Tony Blair (with the much more decent and honourable Gordon Brown kept in the wings until too late.)

Now, fast forward to the present and the near future, and I would maintain again that a Labour Party under another left-wing extremist like Jeremy Corbyn won't have the slightest chance of winning the next general election. Indeed, it may go down as a catastrophe of 1983 proportions. And if there are any doubts, the political history of Britain of the last hundred years, as I've outlined, will bear me out.
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Pondero » April 12th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Lyn wrote:Some questions were difficult, I agree, but not the first ones.
Here are the first four:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations. Strongly disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly agree
I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong. Strongly disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly agree
No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it. Strongly disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly agree
Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races. Strongly disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly agree

I'd have thought they were easy to answer

The first hypothetical question is a non-starter in ascertaining where you stand if you don't believe that it will ever happen as I do So, I ask myself why ask the question in the first place?
The third question is a stupid one. If one was proud of their country of birth then there has to be some reason for it, none is hinted at in the question itself.

Anyone , can invent a better series of questions than those given to determine where one stands on the political spectrum.I could do so myself but I am not interested.All I want to do here is in defend my point of view earlier expressed.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 12th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Oh OK.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » April 18th, 2017, 9:09 pm

I did the test again because I wasn't sure about a couple of questions: same result!

Greg said: (I'm libertarian in some respects, though, for example, I answered totally negatively on the question of whether homosexuals can consider their condition as natural, a view I find repugnant.)

You often say that or similar. The words, "Degenerate" and "Repulsive" spring to mind. Bitter words.
It must be lonely for anyone getting old, who has spent their adult life in the closet and now sees others who are accepted, open and happy in gay relationships.
Lyn

Previous

Return to Politics