General election on the way!

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

General election on the way!

Postby Sprocket » April 18th, 2017, 10:23 am

Well, there we have it - Tories breaking promises as usual: the announcement was supposed to be at 11:15, but was over by 11:12.
So - general election coming up. Apparently, Jeremy Corbyn has previously said that Labour would support a vote for an election. I did wonder why, since Labour has no chance of winning at the moment, so it's just handing the Tories another two years in power, but maybe the calculation is that they have a better chance of winning in 2022 than in 2020 - they have an extra two years to prepare.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Re: General election on the way!

Postby GregB » April 18th, 2017, 11:29 am

Good news! As you say, the Labour Party (or what's left of that great reformist party) has no chance of winning, especially under the 'leadership' of that absurd unrepentant Trotskyite dinosaur bore Jeremy Corbyn and the forthcoming election is bound to be a déjà vu replay of the 1983 debacle when Labour under that other left-wing amnesiac, Michael Foot (who at least was an intellectual, unlike his current clone/clown) suffered one of its greatest electoral defeats. Hopefully, when the smoke clears after June, the parliamentary Labour Party will come to its senses and, banishing the spectre of its nemesis Tony Blair once and for all, will return to its time honoured gradualist reformist position (hopefully under Hilary Benn - see my post elsewhere on this) and will banish Corbyn, as well as John McDonnell, the ghastly Diane Abbott and other Militant-style activists to the political graveyard.

Go Jeremy! Yes, GO!
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby Lyn » April 18th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Teresa May is being clever, afraid to say she appears to have it in the bag.
Lyn

Postby GregB » April 19th, 2017, 6:58 am

Well, politicians are supposed to be clever, though not all of them pass the test!. It certainly wasn't very clever of May to have her head uncovered in Downing Street on an evidently windy day with her grey hair blowing up at the back during her speech, spoiling her carefully-crafted elegant look. Quite hair raising...!
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby Sprocket » April 19th, 2017, 7:25 am

Re. Labour voting for an election: another possible reason, pointed out by someone on Facebook, is that if they didn't, they could be accused of cowardice, and of knowing they're going vto lose, and politicians never admit they haven't a chance in public.
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » May 1st, 2017, 8:20 am

Only reported on Skwawkbox at the moment as far as I know, but let's hope it's true! The Tory campaign has been lamentable so far - Labour have gained 14 percentage points in little more than a week.
Sprocket

Postby Theophilus » May 1st, 2017, 11:58 am

Labour's problem is that they don't have the support in swing seats. They could end up doubling their majority in some seats they already hold, but it wouldn't increase their majority in the House of Commons. This was always the problem with Corbyn: he only appeals to people in strong Labour-supporting areas, particularly in London. He doesn't appeal to people living in areas that Labour need to win over to actually get most seats.

He is not popular in Labour heartlands outside of London and metropolitan areas (i.e. the coalfield areas of the Midlands, Wales and the North-East) and he is much less popular than Theresa May in Scotland. 43% in the C2DE group (inc. unskilled and skilled manual laborers) support the Conservatives (compare 27% for Labour) so even the "working-class" vote, long neglected by Labour in any case, is now not only abstaining from voting Labour, but voting for the Tories.

The lead the Tories had will tighten - Labour's deficit could hardly have got worse - but its hardly close. Reading websites that are clearly biased (this is a new one, it's usually the equally biased Canary) are not going to prepare you for the inevitable disappointment. Labour might take Caroline Lucas' seat though.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sprocket » May 1st, 2017, 12:18 pm

I sincerely hope your last sentence is wrong - I'd like to see the Greens pick up one or two more seats.
Sprocket

Postby Theophilus » May 1st, 2017, 2:12 pm

If they do, it will be at the expense of Labour rather than any Conservative MPs
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sprocket » May 1st, 2017, 4:29 pm

Possibly, but hopefully they would go into a left-of-centre coalition in the (admittedly unlikely) event that Labour, Lib Dems, Greens, SNP etc. together outnumber the Nasties.
Sprocket

Next

Return to Politics