General election on the way!

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Re: General election on the way!

Postby sarniajoy » June 17th, 2017, 8:02 am

With each day that passes Theresa May seems to prove, if any proof was necessary, that she should pack her bags and move out of No 10!
sarniajoy

Postby Sprocket » June 17th, 2017, 8:05 am

I wouldn't call JC lacklustre - he's acquired almost rock-star status, as his forthcoming appearance on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury suggests.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby GregB » June 17th, 2017, 8:33 am

Surely it's unforeseen events which have catapulted him to photogenic fame. His new-found inflated popularity and the media treatment surrounding him have nothing to do with his colourless character and lack of anything approaching charisma. And appearances at events like Glastonbury are just PR flash-in-the-pan gimmicks, far removed from politics. He's like someone who's unexpectedly won the lottery and is now spending his winnings left, right and centre (sorry; left, left and left.) If May hadn't made such an unholy mess of things, he'd still be squinting resentfully from the Opposition front bench every time a joke was made at his expense from the Government side.

I hope the pun in my previous post went down well:
"With increasing dismay in the upper echelons of the Conservative Party, there must surely be a growing movement afoot to diss May."
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby sarniajoy » June 17th, 2017, 10:25 am

Quite a number of Tories have publically stated that TM should consider her position.
sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » June 17th, 2017, 10:43 am

I notice that the Queen got a good reception from the former tenants of the burned high-rise apartments, while Mrs May was booed by them, or was it by 'rent a mob' angry protesters? The real suffering tenants, are too busy finding a place to live, clothes to wear and food to eat to be bothered protesting.
The people to blame for the shoddiness of building materials, cladding which burns easily , are former politicians of all political parties in office in the past.They made the laws at that time.
Mrs.May has only been in office two minutes, p!ease be fair. At least she went out there ! she is not responsible.
Where was Corbyn?
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby GregB » June 17th, 2017, 11:26 am

In all fairness to Corbyn, he was there soon afterwards, talking to and consoling the survivors of the fire and I don't think it was just political opportunism. However I regard the man in other respects (eg. see my last two posts), I think he is essentially decent and does have concern for others. Theresa May only spoke to the firefighters and the local authorities, but not a single survivor of the fire. This has nothing to do with responsibility for the fire and everything to do with common decency and concern for victims. As I pointed out in a previous post, she came to be regarded as uncaring due to seemingly heartless elements in the (hastily-cobbled together) Tory election manifesto. She may only have been in office for a short time but she has managed the feat of shooting herself in the foot several times already - including calling an early election, which was the height of folly and hubris.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Pondero » June 17th, 2017, 12:03 pm

8-) Glad to hear it about Corbyn Greg, that he visited the survivors .According to today's National Post , in an article by Graeme Hamilton , "On Friday,working class Londoners outraged at the loss of life in the Grenfell Tower fire - 30 confirmed dead and dozens missing - took to the streets.They heckled Prime Minister Theresa May calling her a coward as she visited survivors, stormed a town hall and, as dusk approached ,gathered outside the charred apartment block, demanding justice and accusing authorities of negligence."

On Friday, Theresa May visited families of the missing at church and was chased off, with people banging on the windows of her Range Rover, and telling her to go home. She tried, but politics is too much for her!
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby sarniajoy » June 17th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Pondero wrote:I notice that the Queen got a good reception from the former tenants of the burned high-rise apartments, while Mrs May was booed by them, or was it by 'rent a mob' angry protesters? The real suffering tenants, are too busy finding a place to live, clothes to wear and food to eat to be bothered protesting.
The people to blame for the shoddiness of building materials, cladding which burns easily , are former politicians of all political parties in office in the past.They made the laws at that time.
Mrs.May has only been in office two minutes, p!ease be fair. At least she went out there ! she is not responsible.
Where was Corbyn?

The people were pleased to see The Queen and Prince William. At least they went to talk to the survivors, where they are being housed. Whereas May is inviting a few to meet her in Downing Street!
sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » June 17th, 2017, 1:47 pm

If you read my last post Sarniajoy, you would not have written that about Theresa May.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » June 17th, 2017, 2:35 pm

GregB wrote:Theresa May is proving to be her own worst enemy. She came across as uncaring and unfeeling over social aspects of the election manifesto, her refusal to participate in a televised debate with other political leaders was seen as cowardice (or hubris) and, as the second of those two links points out, her unwillingness to meet survivors of the tower block fire is seen as a combination of both failings. With increasing dismay in the upper echelons of the Conservative Party, there must surely be a growing movement afoot to diss May.
I note your repeated use of phrases such as "came across as" and "seems". If she seems uncaring, unfeeling and scared of meeting real people, is not the most likely reason that she is those things?

Corbyn is emerging from the shadows as Uncle Jeremy and is astutely taking advantage of the Tory leader's predicament with a well-orchestrated personal PR campaign, an unfailing beaming presence in strategic photoshots. Will May go down in political history as the PM who handed the next election to an unlikely, lacklustre opponent on a plate?

Similarly, you describe Corbyn as Lacklustre, colourless and lacking in charisma. Most people seem to think the opposite. He is a gifted speaker and debater, and a naturally warm, friendly person. In any case, so what? Attlee, as has been repeated on here many times, was notoriously charisma-free and colourless, but was one of the best prime ministers, by widespread consent, that we've ever had.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

PreviousNext

Return to Politics