Who Do You Side With?

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Who Do You Side With?

Postby Theophilus » May 20th, 2017, 8:36 pm

This site allows you to answer questions based on what your opinion is on particular issues and how important you think the issue is. It then matches you with the party whose policies best match your own views.

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

... I came out as Conservative, but barely: 52%. Don't know if that much of a match will be enough to convince me to vote this time round. I actually got a 75% match for the Democratic Unionist Party (a political party in Northern Ireland) which surprised me enough to look a bit more into them. Although we wouldn't have been a good match in the days of Dr Ian Paisley, it seems the party has changed a bit over the past few years to try and appeal to traditional-minded Catholics on social issues, which is probably where I agree with them the most.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Who Do You Side With?

Postby Lyn » May 20th, 2017, 9:22 pm

I side 63% with the Greens :shock:

I've saved my results to study more in depth sine die.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » May 20th, 2017, 9:44 pm

When I was young I appreciated the fact that Railways and Road transport were nationalized along with British rail. I still believe that if you eliminate the profit motive of entrepreneurs you run a less costly service for mankind. The argument against nationalization is one of ineficiency due to an expanding bureaucracy and a lack of care.
I think you should give nationalization a try if only for British railways, which I understand to be very inefficient since privatization .
Normally, I would vote Conservative, but your PM is accused of cutting benefits to pensioners and those who own their own home and wish to pass it on to their children.I am not clear about what exactly Mrs May is doing, but it is a cheap trick.
I would vote Labour this time around but I don't have a vote!
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » May 20th, 2017, 10:32 pm

I thought I would come out mostly Labour but Labour came second for me :lol: . Apparently I was quite 'Conservative' with regard to economic policy! I answered all the questions truthfully.

It's a bit like that survey thing that Sprocket posted a while back but I felt that was more accurate in my case than this one.

Still very interesting.

I agree with you about the railways.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » May 20th, 2017, 10:44 pm

I'm 83% Green, 82% Labour. No surprise there. I'm not happy about being 33% Tory, though - it should be 0%.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Theophilus » May 20th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Pondero wrote:I think you should give nationalization a try if only for British railways, which I understand to be very inefficient since privatization .

There is a good argument to be made for never having privatized the railways, but re-nationalization is not an option now. Buying back these industries would be prohibitively expensive and complicated, and simply taking them back would make us an international pariah, as well as taking dividends from pensions too.
Theophilus

Postby Sprocket » May 21st, 2017, 6:32 am

The railways can be renationalised at no cost, by doing it piecemeal, as franchises come up for renewal, which is how Labour proposes doing it in its manifesto. This has already happened -
the East Coast line was taken back into public ownership between 2009 and 2015. The next should be Southern, which has become a laughing-stock, except amonst its long-suffering passengers. I think the government would be justified in nationalising Southern now, without waiting for the franchise to run out, and without paying compensation: Southern can think themselves lucky if they don't end up paying compensation themselves.
https://weownit.org.uk/public-ownership/railways
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » May 21st, 2017, 11:53 am

On the thread topic 'quiz', I got 67% Conservative and, amongst others, 56% Democratic Unionist, 44% Labour and 39% Liberal Democrat.

In the section lower down the page, Your Ideology, I was informed that I am Centrist, though on the accompanying chart, I'm somewhat to the right of centre.

As for the Your Political Themes section, amongst others, I'm for assimilation and against multiculturalism, for religious against secular, for traditional against progressive, for protectionism against globalisation and in the foreign policy area (one of my main interests) the assessment: "You side extremely towards “Militarism”, meaning you very strongly believe we should use whatever force necessary to protect ourselves against foreign threats". (Mind you, I'd challenge the loaded term 'militarism' when it's just logical protective self defence; eg. the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, 1789-1815; Germany, 1914 and 1939; the Cold War, 1945-1989; and now a resurgent, aggressively nationalistic Russia and China.)
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby Theophilus » June 9th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Theophilus wrote:... I came out as Conservative, but barely: 52%. Don't know if that much of a match will be enough to convince me to vote this time round. I actually got a 75% match for the Democratic Unionist Party (a political party in Northern Ireland) which surprised me enough to look a bit more into them. Although we wouldn't have been a good match in the days of Dr Ian Paisley, it seems the party has changed a bit over the past few years to try and appeal to traditional-minded Catholics on social issues, which is probably where I agree with them the most.

I was a bit upset that, for obvious reasons, I could not vote for the DUP to represent me at this election. However this morning it seems that in some part, they will end up representing me in government more than I could have hoped. Ultimately the 52% match with the Tories was not enough to convince me to vote for them: there was too much I disagreed with them on, and the recent Islamist attacks finally put the nail in the coffin for me: the Tory party generally, and Theresa May (as former Home Secretary) in particular played a huge role in bringing us to this situation; May's response was to not name the problem (Muslim ghettos and Islamic extremism) and respond by suggesting greater restriction of civil liberties for everyone.

Theresa May is staying on for now, as she must, but her days are numbered and I don't feel the slightest sympathy with her. I didn't think there could be a worse Prime Minister than Cameron, with his wet liberalism masquerading as conservatism, but May just about edges it.

However, I'm quite hopeful about this minority government (though it probably won't last long), and am pleased that May hasn't got a thumping majority to put forward her meanest and dreariest policies, and cannot now scupper Brexit. I say that because there were rumours before the Election that Ben Gummer (son of John Gummer) was being lined up to replace David Davies as minister for Brexit - this despite the fact that Gummer was an arch-Remainer who said he felt "physically sick" the day after the Referendum. Well, that won't happen now as Gummer lost his seat, whilst most of the most strongly Eurosceptic MPs are still in government, and with more of a say than if May had her large majority. Remainer tories like Amber Rudd and Anna Soubry only just squeaked through on wafer-thin majorities, whilst the Leaver Zac Goldsmith got back in after ousting the Lib Dems, so it is clear that the will for leaving the European Union is still there among the electorate; Labour MPs in strongly leave areas were at pains to say they supported Britain leaving the EU and so were returned to power (in the main).

The SNP's unexpectedly high losses (and high-profile losses) to the Tories makes the Independence debate dead in the water for the foreseeable future, whilst muting Sturgeon's tiresome trouble-making between the UK and the EU. With the DUP's new position of power it is pro-Union, anti-EU vision for Britain. Many of Labour's policies that proved popular could not happen within the EU, and there are many Leave-inclined Labour voters who will abandon the party if it is seen to backslide on Brexit. Indeed, they would have done so already if Thersea May' hadn't been so utterly lack-luster and incompetent as PM.
Theophilus

Postby Iamme » June 12th, 2017, 9:35 am

Theophilus wrote:This site allows you to answer questions based on what your opinion is on particular issues and how important you think the issue is. It then matches you with the party whose policies best match your own views.

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

... I came out as Conservative, but barely: 52%. Don't know if that much of a match will be enough to convince me to vote this time round. I actually got a 75% match for the Democratic Unionist Party (a political party in Northern Ireland) which surprised me enough to look a bit more into them. Although we wouldn't have been a good match in the days of Dr Ian Paisley, it seems the party has changed a bit over the past few years to try and appeal to traditional-minded Catholics on social issues, which is probably where I agree with them the most.

I think there is still too much of the DUP ideology that is based on religion for it to be a comfortable alliance.
Iamme

Next

Return to Politics