Barcelona under Muslim jihadist attack

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Re: Barcelona under Muslim jihadist attack

Postby Pondero » August 20th, 2017, 12:14 pm

I can't argue with you on that point,Greg. However , the leader of the Goths, Alaric did stop in Athens and insisted on being given a "guided tour" admiring the artifacts and the beauty. In Seville last year I saw the earliest Christian Church there being uncovered by digging in the mosque which after 1492 became a cathedral. So some conversions did take place .
I can't remember whether it was Alaric or not who built that early church in Seville. You did deny mass conversions taking place Greg.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » August 20th, 2017, 12:25 pm

This morning at about ten past six I saw the sagreda familia cathedral and the people in it, the officials were there and so were the King and Queen of Spain (although I didn't see them) .They were attending Mass.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby GregB » August 20th, 2017, 2:03 pm

It was a memorial service for the victims of the Ramblas massacre. Next Saturday evening there is planned a huge demonstration in the centre of Barcelona against terrorism with the slogan "No tinc por" (Catalan, literally, for "I have no fear".)

As for 1492, there was no mass conversion of Muslims then or earlier. On the contrary, most Moors (the original Muslim invaders) were expelled from Spain on the orders of the Catholic monarchs, King Fernando and Queen Isabella, an interesting precedent. (Hollow platitudes and lighting candles amidst floral tributes get nowhere beyond temporary emotional catharsis.)
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

Postby GregB » August 21st, 2017, 4:48 pm

Latest news:

The murderous Moroccan Muslim, Younes Abouyaaqoub, driver of the van which killed 13 innocent people in Barcelona, a 7-year-old boy included, and injured over 100, has been shot and killed by the Catalan police in a town south of Barcelona. In his getaway after the massacre, he seized a car driven by a 22-year-old Catalan man and stabbed him to death before abandoning the car later. I suppose he expected to get the jihadist martyr's reward prescribed by his religion, 72 virgins in paradise, but hopefully what he will get is 72 stinking, filthy old VD-ridden crones with chronic halitosis and an insatiable desire for sex. And good riddance...
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

Postby Lyn » August 21st, 2017, 5:28 pm

More likely he will get nothing at all. Oblivion.

I know this isn't the TV thread but a good drama series started on Ch4 last night called, "The State". It's in four parts shown four nights running.

To describe the first episode as, "Chilling", would be an understatement.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -kosminsky

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/08/2 ... il-review/
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 21st, 2017, 9:45 pm

He will get Hell for all eternity in all probability.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 21st, 2017, 10:43 pm

I fell asleep and didn't see the second episode of The State.
Will watch tomorrow.
Lyn

Postby GregB » August 23rd, 2017, 7:21 am

Here's some disturbing information from an article about the attacks:

Cambrils, Spain.
The road to September 11 wended its way through this Spanish town where Mohammed Atta, the lead hijacker, met up with Ramzi bin al-Shibh, the former refugee to Germany and current Gitmo inmate, who had been serving as Osama bin Laden’s point man for the attacks that would kill thousands. The hotel where Atta and Osama’s man met is a few blocks away from where the Muslim terrorists climbed out of their crashed car, drawing knives, axes and machetes, before a police officer working overtime to earn extra money shot most of them dead on the spot outside the Club Nautic. The distance between where Atta was planning 9/11 and the latest terror attack in Spain is 110 meters. Stroll past a pub, a hair salon and a real estate agency in this seaside resort town and you’re there.

Cambrils hadn’t been the original target of the terrorists. Their dream target was the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona. When their bombs went off prematurely, they went to Cambrils and Las Ramblas in Barcelona because it was likely to have foreign tourists that they could run over, stab and mutilate. The consistent pattern of the big Islamic terror attacks in recent years, from the Boston Marathon to the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, from Bataclan to the Manchester Arena, from the Champs-Élysées to London Bridge, is to look for nightlife spots or crowds of tourists all packed into the same place. The Sagrada Familia, which at completion will be able to hold 14,000 people, would have been a target closer to the scale of September 11. When Pope Benedict arrived in ’10, 6,000 people were able to fill the cathedral. Around 10,000 visitors tour the building every day. Had the terrorists been able to move their original plot along, the way that Atta and Al-Shibh did theirs, thousands might have died.
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

Postby Pondero » August 23rd, 2017, 11:43 am

It is frightening Greg, what the terrorists might do in the cathedral Sagreda Familia given a chance. Having toured the cathedral last year I remember the crowds outside. Inside too.It is too horrible to contemplate.
The Spanish police have done a good job so far. Will this now mean permanent guards all over the cathedral? To answer my own question. "yes."
Pondero

Postby Val » August 30th, 2017, 8:34 am

Pondero wrote:It is frightening Greg, what the terrorists might do in the cathedral Sagreda Familia given a chance. Having toured the cathedral last year I remember the crowds outside. Inside too.It is too horrible to contemplate.
The Spanish police have done a good job so far. Will this now mean permanent guards all over the cathedral? To answer my own question. "yes."

Orwell described the Sagrada Familia as “one of the most hideous buildings in the world” and I agree, the value of the innocent lives lost in Barcelona from those terrorist scum is immeasurable when placed alongside that monstrosity.
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Val

PreviousNext

Return to Politics