Barcelona under Muslim jihadist attack

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Re: Barcelona under Muslim jihadist attack

Postby GregB » August 30th, 2017, 11:51 am

Your comparison is misplaced, Val. Read the extract below from my earlier post. It wouldn't have been the destruction of Sagrada Familia (a wonderful concept and a beautiful construction, your critical comments* notwithstanding) which would have been the major tragedy but rather the thousands of people killed in an attack on it with explosives. You clearly miss the main point.

"Cambrils hadn’t been the original target of the terrorists. Their dream target was the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona. When their bombs went off prematurely, they went to Cambrils and Las Ramblas in Barcelona because it was likely to have foreign tourists that they could run over, stab and mutilate...The Sagrada Familia, which at completion will be able to hold 14,000 people, would have been a target closer to the scale of September 11. When Pope Benedict arrived in ’10, 6,000 people were able to fill the cathedral. Around 10,000 visitors tour the building every day. Had the terrorists been able to move their original plot along, the way that Atta and Al-Shibh did theirs, thousands might have died."

[* Orwell is one of my political and literary heroes, but he was no expert on art or architecture, just a typical English philistine in that respect.]
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Lyn » August 30th, 2017, 3:55 pm

It's frightening to think that might have happened, still could happen I suppose.

The Sagrada Familia (I've only seen pictures of it of course) is breathtakingly beautiful in my opinion.
Lyn

Postby GregB » September 3rd, 2017, 9:51 am

Cement bollards are being installed in the streets of some of the main European cities to prevent the ramming of pedestrians by Islamic jihadis in vehicles. Perhaps a more effective version might be this model:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH8EtSqW0AAoe6Z.jpg
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
GregB

Postby GregB » September 13th, 2017, 7:24 am

There was a false alarm at the Sagrada Familia last night. A transit van was found parked nearby with, on inspection, a suspicious package inside. The cathedral was evacuated and the area around it cordoned off until a bomb squad had determined that the package was innocuous. The police are clearly still on high alert after the Ramblas attack.
GregB

Postby Sprocket » September 13th, 2017, 8:08 am

The van owner won't be popular!
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Previous

Return to Politics