Referendum in Catalonia

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Re: Referendum in Catalonia

Postby GregB » October 4th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Yawn? :D My goodness, your own mini posts are catatonic trance inducing and produce more 'Zzzz's' than a chain saw! :sleep: Now, why don't you do the right thing and just wave goodbye once again and leave this forum to the grown-ups, there's a good girl...? :wave:
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby Lyn » October 4th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Well going back to the beginning of this thread, you were miffed there weren't more comments.
Lyn

Postby GregB » October 4th, 2017, 8:09 pm

I really meant serious, hopefully original comments which added something to the discussion, not the rather vapid 'tweets' typical of this poster, which didn't. (Indeed, as Steve remarked forcefully about one of her two examples: "What the hell has that got to do with anything?") Also, as I indicated, part of my 'miffedness' was due to my living here amidst these events, which I thought might have provoked some interest on a more personal level from fellow members. No big problem, though...

Events are still unfolding dramatically, in fact, and the Catalan regional president is now threatening to declare independence unilaterally, which would provoke a huge political crisis. The Spanish king, Felipe VI, appeared on television last night severely condemning the referendum and the Catalan government's actions, which has stirred the pot further.
- Anon
GregB

Postby Sprocket » October 5th, 2017, 9:10 am

I heard that on the news last night. It does seem that the Catalan President and his supporters are acting irresponsibly. I don't expect full-scale civil war, as Pondy suggested earlier, but I suspect there'll be more sporadic violence.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » October 5th, 2017, 12:08 pm

I agree with Steve that the Catalan President and his cabinet are acting irresponsibly. A unilateral declaration of independence would just worsen a situation already fraught with growing tension. There's really no spirit of compromise or desire for negotiation, sadly a typical phenomenon in Spanish political history.* Various individuals and entities, from Spanish politicians of differing tendencies to delegates of the European Union, have offered to act as intermediaries but it's deaf ears so far. Anyway, I'll keep monitoring events here...

[*The well-known Spanish Civil War of 1936-39 was actually the fourth one in the preceding hundred years, not to mention the attempted coup d'état of February 1981 through which I lived and would probably have produced another civil conflict.]
- Anon
GregB

Postby Pondero » October 21st, 2017, 3:40 pm

On Canadian television news today they said " They (Catalonians) narrowly voted in favour of separation".
A few minutes later, the same news station said, " 90% voted in favour of separation,,"
That doesn't make sense as one statement contradicts the other. :scratch:
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » October 21st, 2017, 6:21 pm

As I write a reporter from and in Barcelona says 450,000 people are on parade in the city. Now ,interspersed with Catalan flags I saw the occasional Spanish flag. Then moments later I saw a sea of Spanish flags.Assuming the broadcast is live then the only way this could be is that the two sides were separated.
One does not know the truth by watching our TV news!
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » October 21st, 2017, 9:40 pm

Post moved forward.
Last edited by GregB on October 21st, 2017, 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Anon
GregB

Postby Pondero » October 21st, 2017, 9:43 pm

I think I can reconcile the 90% of Catalans who wanted to separate from Spain with the narrow majority figure said to be in favour.
You see there was only a 43% turnout, and you can bet that the enthusiasts who did manage to vote ..voted for separation as the police were ordered to close down voting areas prior to the vote.Ignore the opinion of some that the police chief in Barcelona is reported to be a separatist..and may have been a little lax in enforcement!
90% of 43% is about 38%.So perhaps, only 38% of Catalans want to separate. But, that is not a narrow majority as TV news stared.
On the other question. It appears fom sources that today's 450,000 were Catalans (and others from out of Catalonia) who really want to separate.
The ones who wanted to remain with Spain, in Union held their protest March earlier..October. 8th I believe .And there was a Catalan independence March on September 11th which is some historical anniversary for Catalans.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » October 21st, 2017, 9:47 pm

(Post just moved forward in the light of your last one, Pondero.)

It's an increasingly difficult issue and with certain social conflict ahead. In any event, I'll get back to it tomorrow in a more ample way following today's demonstrations and decisive Spanish central government active measures. Meanwhile, just to say that there is absolutely no international support for Catalan separatism, especially not from the European Union

Oh, and I would just say that in my view and that of many others here, 38% is indeed by no means a majority, narrow or otherwise.
Last edited by GregB on October 21st, 2017, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Anon
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to Politics