Mugabe

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Mugabe

Postby GregB » November 17th, 2017, 6:34 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42024920

It's intolerable that this repulsive dictator should still be calling the shots instead of being subject to another kind of shots and, with his dreadful wife, Grace, deservedly ending up like another dictator (see below.) How this vile tyrant has lasted so long boggles the mind.

Mussolini and his mistress and their hang ups:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__LHpG2KTr2c/S ... corpse.jpg
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Re: Mugabe

Postby GregB » November 20th, 2017, 7:18 am

Good grief, the man just won't quit! Talk about clinging onto power. Everyone wants him out but tyrants are not in the habit of stepping down, unfortunately.
- Anon
GregB

Postby Pondero » November 20th, 2017, 5:22 pm

They are going to impeach Mugabe, within two days (CBC TV) and to do so the politicians need a two thirds majority, to remove him from office.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » November 20th, 2017, 5:53 pm

The sad thing is that 30-plus years ago, when Zimbabwe first became independent, he was generally lauded as a hero. If the old fool had retired 20 years ago, he'd no doubt still be honoured. I hope Aung San Su Kyi doesn't go the same way as him, but she hasn't done herself any favours recently.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » November 20th, 2017, 6:08 pm

A lesson to all - no leader should be in power for too long or they will believe they are invincible.
Lyn

Postby GregB » November 21st, 2017, 9:17 am

To the tune of 'Volare':

Mugabe, go, go!
Zimbabwe, oh oh, oh oh!
- Anon
GregB

Postby Lyn » November 21st, 2017, 11:54 pm

Sprocket wrote:The sad thing is that 30-plus years ago, when Zimbabwe first became independent, he was generally lauded as a hero. If the old fool had retired 20 years ago, he'd no doubt still be honoured. I hope Aung San Su Kyi doesn't go the same way as him, but she hasn't done herself any favours recently.

I remember when he was hailed as one of the 'good guys' too.

(Like your new sig Sprocks)
Lyn

Postby GregB » November 22nd, 2017, 8:28 am

GregB wrote:To the tune of 'Volare':

Mugabe, go, go!
Zimbabwe, oh oh, oh oh!

Well, he's gone now! Good riddance, too.

Several African countries have leaders who have been in power for decades or who have passed on the reins of power to a son or other family member, while in North Korea, the Kim dynasty is now in its third generation. The record for dictators' political longevity must go to Fidel Castro, though, with almost fifty years in power (fifty-seven if you count the years of his 'retirement', when he was obviously still pulling the strings.) Now, the Castro dynasty maintains power with brother Raúl, though at 86 he can't be around for much longer. Meanwhile, over in Venezuela, Maduro is treading the same path.

As Lord Acton famously said, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".
- Anon
GregB

Postby Sprocket » November 22nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

I saw something briefly on the BBC news saying he'd resigned, showing cheering crowds. I was reminded of a classic 'Private Eye' cover from the 60s, at the time of Verwoerd's death. Above the headline "Verwoerd: a Nation Mourns" was a photo of black Africans in tribal dress, leaping in the air, arms raised, big grins on their faces. This one.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » November 23rd, 2017, 8:17 am

The new president, Mnangagwa, has promised 'a new democracy' for Zimbabwe. Let's hope it will happen, but so many such leaders have promised the same and have ended up fulfilling Lord Acton's dictum (quoted in my previous post.) Jaded sense of déjà vu...
- Anon
GregB

Return to Politics