Clear and present danger.

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Clear and present danger.

Postby GregB » January 22nd, 2018, 8:43 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42770208

The general evidently has an axe to grind (though the army has moved on from axes!) in terms of military spending, but the threat from Russia is real enough, as details in the article suggest. Putin is an ultra nationalist who has stated that he is not afraid to use force in situations where he perceives Russia and Russian interests to be threatened, as the seizure of Crimea and the war in Eastern Ukraine, as well as Russian military intervention in the Syrian civil war, demonstrated. (Trident isn't involved here as it's a question of conventional military forces.)
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 9:06 am

Putin must be thrilled his pal, the idiot in the White House, is making America look stupid and impotent.
sarniajoy

Postby GregB » January 22nd, 2018, 9:39 am

Can we please limit comments to the topic in question, which is about British defence spending in the face of the threat from Russia (see the OP.)
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 10:37 am

GregB wrote:Can we please limit comments to the topic in question, which is about British defence spending in the face of the threat from Russia (see the OP.)

What is happening across the pond is ensuring Russia is more of a threat to the UK and Europe than it has been for a while, imo.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 10:53 am

Blimey, are we going to be afraid of Russians again like we were when children?
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 11:38 am

Lyn wrote:Blimey, are we going to be afraid of Russians again like we were when children?

I really hope not, but it does seem to be rearing its ugly head again with Putin in charge, and having his glove puppet in the White House.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 12:06 pm

When I was a child I could crawl underneath my parents' bed to hide from Russians and Martians. Now there are no beds I can crawl under, the bases all touch the floor!
Lyn

Postby GregB » January 22nd, 2018, 12:37 pm

I'm loath to admit it but Sarniajoy is right and, if you read the article in my OP link, plus much more relevant information about the current dangerous world situation beyond the superficial TV news and lack-of-depth newspaper headlines and articles (such as they are) you may realise we are in a totally different situation from the Cold War - although there were moments when the world was on the brink of nuclear war (eg. the Korean War, the 1961 Berlin standoff, the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, etc.) That was largely determined by ideological rivalry, the Soviet Union claiming to represent humanity in its multifarious, albeit supposedly downtrodden forms, thus limited in its aggressive outreach. Add to that the concept of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) which guaranteed annihilation for both sides in the event of a nuclear war, so conflict was limited to proxy wars (eg. Vietnam, Angola, Afghanistan, etc.) which didn't threaten the planet.

The current situation is distinct. Putin's Russia is not ideologically driven (though Putin, ex-KGB colonel and his ruling cohort have nostalgia for the days of Soviet power which crashed in 1991.) Rather, it is driven by an ultra-nationalist political philosophy with its roots in a Russian neo-fascist outlook on the world, which it paranoically regards as threatening to the great Russian Motherland. And this is not scaremongering - it's simply a question of chilling facts, believe me (and I've studied this exhaustively.) This is not a time for hiding our heads under the blankets...
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 12:50 pm

What can we do?
Lyn

Postby GregB » January 22nd, 2018, 1:14 pm

That which is proposed in the OP - maintain our defences at a maximum level as a deterrence against potential Russian aggression, although international conflict has entered a new phase with so-called 'cyber wars' with all their technological consequences, still in their early days. What is not acceptable is a repeat of the 1930's and the curmudgeonly appeasement of another dictator, Adolf Hitler, which led to war.

Just to add that I've looked up one of Putin's ideological mentors, Alexander Dugin, a Russian neo-fascist with considerable insider influence in the Kremlin.

Oh, and the other great threat - more for the USA - is the rise of an ultra-nationalistic China with its hybrid blend of authoritarian communist party rule under Xi Jinping and free market capitalism which may make China the leading economy in the world in the near future. As Bob Dylan put it in another context, the times are (certainly) a-changin'...
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Next

Return to Politics