Clear and present danger.

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby gone » January 22nd, 2018, 3:13 pm

Lyn wrote:When I was a child I could crawl underneath my parents' bed to hide from Russians and Martians. Now there are no beds I can crawl under, the bases all touch the floor!


I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis so well, which occurred when I was 13. We went to bed that night unsure if we would awake in the morning, that was the dire warning, given by my parents, to my younger sisters and I. :shock:
gone
 
Posts: 1243
Joined: September 28th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 3:50 pm

I remember that too, Bay of Pigs beforehand. You and I would have been eleven then.
Suez crisis years beforehand.
We're still here!
Lyn
 
Posts: 47600
Joined: October 25th, 2007, 11:25 am

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby GregB » January 22nd, 2018, 4:29 pm

Post moved.
Last edited by GregB on January 22nd, 2018, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
User avatar
GregB
 
Posts: 15674
Joined: October 25th, 2007, 11:23 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby gone » January 22nd, 2018, 4:42 pm

Lyn wrote:I remember that too, Bay of Pigs beforehand. You and I would have been eleven then.
Suez crisis years beforehand.
We're still here!


Yep.
gone
 
Posts: 1243
Joined: September 28th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby GregB » January 22nd, 2018, 5:38 pm

Just to say first off that I responded to Lyn's "what can we do?" post at the foot of the first page of this thread.

I was fifteen years old at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962 and as a precocious schoolboy already interested in history and politics (the subjects I read later at university)* I sensed that this would not be the prelude to World War Three as the Soviet premier, Nikita Khrushchev, was bluffing, knowing from my extensive reading that his nuclear arsenal was well below the strength of that of the United States and incapable of a devastating second strike in the event of a nuclear conflict. JFK was certainly a stalwart opponent of communism and he knew that the cards in that crisis were stacked in his favour, compensating for the Bay of Pigs fiasco of 1961 which conducted effectively could have led to the downfall of the Castro left-fascist regime which subjected the Cuban people to tyranny for decades.

[* I recall watching a documentary on television in 1961 titled 'Watch On The Mekong' - a title taken from the German song 'Watch On The Rhine' - the river running through South-East Asia including Vietnam, which dealt with the growing threat of the communist Viet Cong when there were only a handful of American military 'advisers' in Saigon and my feeling that this would burgeon into a major conflict, as indeed it did.]

_________________
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is fo
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
User avatar
GregB
 
Posts: 15674
Joined: October 25th, 2007, 11:23 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 10:10 pm

Do you remember the cartoons in newspapers then? I can still picture the caricatures of Khruschev in my mind.
Lyn
 
Posts: 47600
Joined: October 25th, 2007, 11:25 am

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby Sprocket » January 22nd, 2018, 11:17 pm

I remeber me and a couple of friends - I was 11 - playing at demonstrations, walking round in a circle shouting "Hands off Cuba!", like the people on the news. We soon got bored with that, though. Actually, come to think of it, that was probably at the time of the Bay of Pigs fiasco, when I was 9.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
User avatar
Sprocket
 
Posts: 15952
Joined: October 25th, 2007, 11:21 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Herts.

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby GregB » January 22nd, 2018, 11:33 pm

Lyn wrote:Do you remember the cartoons in newspapers then? I can still picture the caricatures of Khruschev in my mind.

He was easy to caricature with his short, corpulent body and piglike features. Orwell had pigs as the Stalinist leaders in 'Animal Farm' although the irony with Khrushchev is that he sought to dismantle Stalinism with his denunciation speech at the Twentieth Congress of the CPSU (Communist Party of the Soviet Union) in 1956. He would be deposed in 1964 by another porcine (though really more Russian bearlike) figure, Leonid Brezhnev.
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
User avatar
GregB
 
Posts: 15674
Joined: October 25th, 2007, 11:23 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 11:53 pm

Sprocket wrote:I remeber me and a couple of friends - I was 11 - playing at demonstrations, walking round in a circle shouting "Hands off Cuba!", like the people on the news. We soon got bored with that, though. Actually, come to think of it, that was probably at the time of the Bay of Pigs fiasco, when I was 9.


I can just imagine you Sprocks!

GregB wrote:
Lyn wrote:Do you remember the cartoons in newspapers then? I can still picture the caricatures of Khruschev in my mind.

He was easy to caricature with his short, corpulent body and piglike features. Orwell had pigs as the Stalinist leaders in 'Animal Farm' although the irony with Khrushchev is that he sought to dismantle Stalinism with his denunciation speech at the Twentieth Congress of the CPSU (Communist Party of the Soviet Union) in 1956. He would be deposed in 1964 by another porcine (though really more Russian bearlike) figure, Leonid Brezhnev.


Yup. In those days we knew who the enemy was. He had a face!
Others were caricatured in cartoons too, Kennedy etc. I can even remember Eisenhower and our prime minister, MacMillan, in cartoons.
Lyn
 
Posts: 47600
Joined: October 25th, 2007, 11:25 am

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby GregB » January 23rd, 2018, 8:31 am

Harold Macmillan was a gift to cartoonists with that droopy bloodhound face and moustache.

Here's a photo of him with Khrushchev in the cold war (those fur hats...):
https://history.blog.gov.uk/wp-content/ ... 0REB01.jpg

You can just imagine the conversation:
"After you!"
"No, please, you first."
"No, I insist.
"No, my pleasure".
(etc. etc. :roll: )
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
User avatar
GregB
 
Posts: 15674
Joined: October 25th, 2007, 11:23 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest