Clear and present danger.

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Re: Clear and present danger.

Postby Sprocket » January 23rd, 2018, 8:46 am

Those fur hats, called "Russian" hats, were very fashionable in the late 50s and early 60s, which is no doubt why the first Doctor wore one.
http://ryleighbennetts.com/wp-content/u ... nell-3.jpg
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » January 23rd, 2018, 9:29 am

Rather nice! Would have to be fake fur now, too much outrage at real fur (quite right).

Though the Satmar still wear fur hats, called Shtreimels, made of sable:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forum-Noveltie ... B000IUUOD0

(There are synthetic versions for everyday wear and for those who are poor.)
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » January 23rd, 2018, 12:21 pm

Never heard the word "Satmar" before, though I've seen hats like that - frankly, they look bloody ridiculous, but if I said that on some forums or on Facebook, I'd be pilloried as anti-semitic. In fact, I dislike extreme conservative forms of all religions.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » January 23rd, 2018, 12:36 pm

Maybe. I wouldn't think you were antisemitic but I know you, a bit. Anyway you'd probably like them because they are anti-zionism :) .

I think those who dress 'religiously' do look strange to outsiders but if you see a lot of different types of religious garb, after a while you cease to notice.
The dress means a lot to them so I wouldn't mock it or say it's ridiculous and it doesn't harm us.

It's not only Satmar who wear Shtreimels, other groups do too but generally only on special occasions, otherwise it's an ordinary trilby type hat.

I like this one: https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... _B0IugEwEw
Lyn

Postby GregB » January 23rd, 2018, 1:07 pm

Fur enough... :blink:
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Lyn » January 23rd, 2018, 1:11 pm

Tell me ...... are there trees that grow fur? Could make vegetarian hats out of those.

(One of the candidates on the Apprentice recently asked that during a conversation about fir trees.)
Lyn

Postby GregB » January 23rd, 2018, 3:18 pm

Further to my photo of Khrushchev and Macmillan (previous page, bottom), here's one of Macmillan and JFK. The generational difference is stark, Macmillan like a grandfather beside the youthful Kennedy, though that would be the same with other world leaders JFK met; eg. Khrushchev himself, President De Gaulle, Adenauer, old men of a previous generation and a different world.
https://www.cvce.eu/content/publication ... shable.jpg
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Val » January 24th, 2018, 9:02 pm

I have to disagree with Greg about a clear and present danger.

I do not think that we are any immediate danger of a war with Russia or China.
The four horsemen Trump, Putin, Kim Jong Un and Xi Jinping are far too fond of their ill-gotten money to lose it by starting any shenanigans like a war.
Mind you Trump is most probably the poorest of the four.

Putin, the richest man on earth is worth 80 billion dollars that is accountable but in reality he is worth twice that
Much of his wealth is in oil shares, in property and armament factories, he own properties in almost every major country in the world, he is no fool and apart from warmongering he is not going to threaten that wealth by picking a fight with the west.

Kim Jong Un is worth over 5 billion dollars and lives the high life private jets, , there have been secret deals with China going back years; these deals bring billions of revenue in every year, it is a partnership very valuable to both, Kim Jong Un is under threat more from within than from Trump, he must show that he is ready willing and able to protect his country but has more interest in flying in fine wines and cheese and the odd high-class call girls or boy depending on reports, a war for him would spell the end of his useless career.

Xi Jinping earns a whopping $22,000 state wage per year but can afford the very best things in life flash cars, exotic holidays, private clubs, multimillion dollar homes, all his immediate relatives receive private tuition just like his daughter she finished off her education in Harvard University a few years back, with all his businesses many controlled by his relatives he is reported to be worth over 5 billion dollars.

Trump couldn't put his hand on more than a few hundred million of ready cash the rest of his (over) estimated 3.5 billion wealth is tied up in property shares, but come a war and those shares would drop in value so it is not in his interest to start anything anytime soon; mind you he is an idiot and the most likely to do something stupid.
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Lyn » January 24th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Val: he (Trump) is an idiot and the most likely to do something stupid.

Oh yes but he can be forgiven for anything because he champions the rights of the unborn child :roll: .
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 24th, 2018, 11:37 pm

I honestly don't know whether you are right in your assessment of the probability of peace between the super powers or not Val; but, I certainly hope that you are correct.
I will stick to book reports and daily chat topics for now anyway.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to Politics