Ontario Povincial Election.

Set the world to rights?
Forum rules
Set the world to rights?

Re: Ontario Povincial Election.

Postby Pondero » September 12th, 2018, 7:48 pm

The election is over and The Progressive Conservatives won , in July. Premier Doug Ford , Rob Ford' s deceased brother ( one time mayor of Toronto) came into power.
Since then he has scrapped the sex Ed Act .He will replace it with a course that parents approve of.
He passed a bill to reduce City of Toronto councillors (90 days ago , in the start of a council election) from 47 to 25. The city took him to court and won ( unexpectedly by a left wing judge) And so Premier Ford has appealed , called in the MPPs to sit in the legislature today to pass a similar bill adding the Notwithstanding Clause, And he has for good measure appealed the judge's decision.
As I started to write I saw uproar in the Provincial Parliament when the Speaker had to name and have removed every member of the Opposition Party and the one Green party member for disruption .The bill amended will now receive it's first reading.
More on the meaning of the Notwithstanding Clause later.
EDIT. The NDP members were protesting by yelling , and banging on their desks, before being removed .Utter chaos in the Ontario Provincial Legislature (Parliament) resulted.
Last edited by Pondero on September 12th, 2018, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Pondero » September 12th, 2018, 8:00 pm

This is history in the making ,this Province has never used the Notwithstanding Clause before.
It means in plain English that a legislature or Parliament can over rule a judge . I approve.After Al! Who runs this country elected MPPs or MPs or unelected judges,such as we have in our Supreme Court.
Saskatchewan used it once and Quebec Province a few times .Quebec did it over language rights , but most people never heard of it. In fact most people never heard of The Notwithstanding Clause before today.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Sprocket » September 12th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Pondero wrote: Premier Doug Ford , Rob Ford' s deceased brother ( one time mayor of Toronto) came into power.
They elected a dead man?! :shock:
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » September 13th, 2018, 11:17 am

Hee hee.
Nothing would surprise me, after all we did have Alec Douglas Home for a while in the sixties. However:
Doug Ford, brother of the deceased Rob Ford.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » September 14th, 2018, 10:11 pm

I was at school then, and my form master was "Jogger" Jackson, also known as "Skull-head", who bore a marked resemblance to Sir Alec, and also to "Chalky" White, the cadaverous schoolteacher in the Giles cartoons.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » September 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I always thought of Douglas-Home as resembling a ventriloquist's dummy, those with wooden lower mouths which move up and down when manipulated, though he's not on record as uttering the classic line, "Gottle o' geer, gottle o' geer". One can only imagine what Spitting Images would have made of him (not to mention his predecessor and gift to caricaturists, Harold MacMillan, and The Great Phoney Bore himself, Harold Wilson - or was it Mike Yarwood...? :scratch:)
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Pondero » October 14th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Not exactly Provincial politics but Municipal ones.
I sent the following questions to those who want to be elected Separate School Trustee in my Ward. One of whom will call me back. whether she does or not here are the two questions.
I tried to email to them. I believe I have succeeded.

The Halton Catholic School Board trustees have already approved a resolution to financially support some charitable organizations which not only support Catholic aims but non-Catholic ones such as abortion providers .Do you support that in Ward 2 of this Toronto Board? ( I think it is wrong)
Our local priest and our Cardinal in Toronto have not said a word against the dangers of marijuana use – drug use- (See CCC.2290,2291) which is very disappointing since it will be legalized on Wednesday. I attend All Saints during the week and OLS on Sundays. Where do you stand on that topic?
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » October 16th, 2018, 10:59 am

So far no replies have been received to my questions from these would-be trustees. My response in the voting booth will be appropriate.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Previous

Return to Politics