Girls captured by Boko Haram in Nigeria

For prayer requests, or just to mention the people or situations we are concerned about.
Forum rules
For prayer requests, or just to mention the people or situations we are concerned about. Open to all

Girls captured by Boko Haram in Nigeria

Postby Lyn » May 12th, 2014, 11:38 am

I was hoping someone else might start a thread about the (more than)two hundred kidnapped girls in Nigeria because I know I sometimes express things in a clumsy way and this subject deserves more than that. However I am certain we've all been anxious about and praying for these girls who must be so frightened, separated from their families and not knowing what will happen to them.

It's marvellous that people and governments of so many countries, including Britain, France, Germany, the USA and China, want to help and put pressure on the kidnappers, also advising the Nigerian government who appear not to know what to do.

Please Lord take care of the girls and may they be released from captivity soon. Also please comfort their families.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27373287

Edited for typos in title
Last edited by Lyn on May 12th, 2014, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyn

Re: Girls captured by Bko Harm in Nigeria

Postby GregB » May 12th, 2014, 12:27 pm

You should really stress the overwhelming fact that the kidnappers are Muslims who are fulfilling the dictates of the Koran to the letter. Apparently 90% of those girls are Christians, easy meat for Islamists, and those who escaped or were released from the remaining 10% were Muslims, which tells its own story.

That article clashes with other versions. In any event, the prayer should be that these evil Islamist terrorists should be defeated and the Christian population of Nigeria freed from their murderous terror. (Ditto Syria, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Egypt, etc. etc.)
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby Lyn » May 12th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Well Greg you have stressed it for me, we can pray for all aspects of this case - and I note I left the 'o' out of Bko and one of the 'As' out of Haram which is peculiar but was merely typo. I'll try and correct. The article is only one of many online, I merely thought it was a good idea to post a link, others can look online too.
Lyn

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » May 12th, 2014, 5:42 pm

GregB wrote:Apparently 90% of those girls are Christians, ...

Must admit i did wonder if this was the case.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that these terrorists could just waltz in and seize 200+ teenage girls. Where was the resistance? Where was the security? My gut feeling is that they had inside help.

Just come across this

Nigeria kidnapped girls 'shown in Boko Haram video'

Here's a snippet (emphasis mine)

Three of the girls - wearing full-length cloaks - are shown speaking in the 27-minute video, obtained by French news agency AFP.

Two girls say they were Christian and have converted to Islam, while the other says she is Muslim.

"These girls, these girls you occupy yourselves with... we have indeed liberated them. These girls have become Muslims," Abubakar Shekau says in the video.

He said his offer to swap the girls for imprisoned militants only referred to the children who had not converted to Islam.

It is thought the majority of the abducted girls are Christians, although there are a number of Muslims among them.

I shall watch the news with interest to see how this aspect is reported...if at all.
SwordOfTheSpirit

Re: Girls captured by Boko Haram in Nigeria

Postby Lyn » May 12th, 2014, 6:39 pm

It says all that in almost the same words - maybe the exact same words - in the link I posted SotS, which is a BBC report. It stresses the fact that the kidnappers are Muslim militants and that some of the girls are Christian. That is also reported on the TV news so we all know what it is about. Doesn't alter the fact that these girls are being held captive and frightened. They have eachother for support, thank God, but it is still horrible.

I doubt the girls could do other than go quietly if faced with armed soldiers. There isn't much point in speculating about it being an inside job by which I assume you mean a member or members of staff at the school were complicit. I daresay we'll find out in the future. I wonder if the government have spent a lot of time pondering the wheres and whyfors of this case which is why they haven't taken decisive action so far.

What is important is the here and now, the safety and release of the girls. After that there can be an inquest.
Lyn

Postby different glory » June 20th, 2014, 10:23 am

Praying for these girls today.
SotS, I have no trouble believing that the girls could have been kidnapped exactly as said; how much "security" do you think a humble girls school in the back of beyond has?
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » June 20th, 2014, 11:32 am

We hear a lot about these poor girls on the news. It's terrible that the situation has yet to be resolved, nevertheless I do believe they will be freed. A couple of weeks ago the Archbishop of Canterbury was on TV talking about it as he has experience with Boko Haram - and he told it as it is. I'm glad dg has booted up this thread, the girls really need our prayers.
Lyn

Postby different glory » July 7th, 2014, 12:41 am

Some positive news; but that would leave 140-odd in captivity (including forced "marriage").
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » January 29th, 2015, 8:54 pm

We've heard so little of these girls recently yet they are never far from my prayers. I wonder if ignoring them is the way forward now but having read all that the AofC, Justin Welby says about Boko Haram, who knows West Africa, and particularly Northern Nigeria, is going to work. Wonderful if it would but my heart goes out to these young girls and their families.
Lyn

Postby different glory » January 30th, 2015, 5:30 am

Thanks for this - a call to renewed prayers. (I'm not sure what is the latest?)
different glory

Next

Return to Prayer and care