For kidnapped missionary doctors

For prayer requests, or just to mention the people or situations we are concerned about.
Forum rules
For prayer requests, or just to mention the people or situations we are concerned about. Open to all

For kidnapped missionary doctors

Postby different glory » January 17th, 2016, 1:16 am

Please pray for this couple.

O Lord, thou preservest man and beast...

O continue thy lovingkindness unto them that know thee; and thy righteousness to the upright in heart.

(from Psalm 36)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Re: For kidnapped missionary doctors

Postby GregB » January 17th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Yes, of course, but with one rider. I really don't think when there are such evident dangers and threats to life in these kinds of evidently hostile regions that people should venture forth into them, whatever their good intentions or motives. If personal safety is sacrificed in favour of some (for me, anyway, misplaced) idea of putting one's life on the line for people who are probably doomed anyway, then those involved in such situations should accept the potentially fatal consequences of their decision. (I'm loath to invoke the term 'irresponsibility' but we're not far from that. in my view.)
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby Lyn » January 28th, 2016, 11:39 pm

The couple had lived in Burkina Faso for 43 years, it was their home and I doubt if it occurred to them or those associated with them that they would be targeted. The kidnappers came over the border to capture them. What they hope to achieve by seizing two doctors in their eighties I cannot imagine.

I hope and pray they will soon be free.
Lyn

Postby GregB » January 29th, 2016, 8:37 am

Mali, just over the border, is swarming with Islamist fighters, who have made other incursions in the past, often killing local people. The couple must have been aware of that danger and they took their chances. As for the value of a couple in their 80's, the fact is that white people constitute valuable hostages (and better ransoms) whereas local people have no such value and are simply slaughtered. Courage is one thing, naiveté quite another.
- Anon
GregB

Postby different glory » January 29th, 2016, 9:55 am

I hope and pray they will soon be free.
Thanks. I haven't seen any further news. :(
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby different glory » February 7th, 2016, 7:39 am

Thanks be to God. and please keep praying.
different glory

Postby GregB » February 7th, 2016, 8:17 am

Yes, good news indeed, though the retention of the husband is rather disturbing. (Still negotiating a ransom?)

I suppose the family had to express sentiments like those in the extract below:
"We are trusting that the moral and guiding principles of those who have released our mother will also be applied to our elderly father who has served the community of Djibo and the Sahel for more than half his lifetime"

Of course, the real 'moral' and guiding principles of such militant Islamist groups are murder, mayhem, extortion and terror*. Still, let's hope for the best, however Elliott's release is managed.

[* "Strike terror into the hearts of the unbelievers." Koran, sura 8:60.
"Kill them wherever you find them." Koran, sura 2:191.]
- Anon
GregB

Postby Lyn » February 7th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Very good news dg, albeit only half of what we want; we'll escalate our prayers while others who have their ears to the ground do the work necessary for the other 50% success.
Lyn

Postby GregB » February 8th, 2016, 8:06 am

Apparently, the reality on the ground is, according to a report I've just read, that the terrorist group seeks the release of its imprisoned fighters in exchange for Ken Elliott. Many of them will have been involved in a series of terrorist attacks in recent months in which dozens of people were killed, most of them civilians.
- Anon
GregB

Return to Prayer and care