A loving Act in Toronto

For prayer requests, or just to mention the people or situations we are concerned about.
Forum rules
For prayer requests, or just to mention the people or situations we are concerned about. Open to all

A loving Act in Toronto

Postby Pondero » March 2nd, 2016, 11:03 pm

I CHARLES LEWIS
It was a sight of beauty. Perhaps as beautiful a thing as I have ever seen.

I saw it during morning rush hour on a freezing cold day in front of a busy Toronto bus stop. I was driving and fortunately the light turned red, allowing me to look more closely at what was taking place.

The woman was in her 30s, maybe younger, and dressed elegantly. She was talking to a man who lay prone on the sidewalk, covered in a ratty sleeping bag and newspapers. His face was hidden. She was crouched and he was barely up on one elbow to look at her. Her face was warm, gentle and inviting as she looked into the face of this man's misery. But it was her smile that hit me. She looked like she had all the time in the world. She was looking at this frozen wreck of a man and pouring out love and compassion.

I tried later to imagine what this man felt before she knelt beside him. He was likely in pain — if for no other reason than lying on frozen concrete. His skin probably itched like crazy because of his unwashed skin and filthy clothes. If he was lucky he was used to his own smell. His lot in life seemed the furthest thing from what most would consider dignified.

Then suddenly a face appears before him. Some total stranger hovering over him, smiling, as if she had bumped into a beloved old friend. For that one moment, she reminded him that despite his circumstances he was worthy of love.

As Catholics we are supposed to believe that every human being is made in the image of God and has inherent dignity. And because we believe in the Trinity we know that God is in a continual relationship of love. We are told to love God and neighbour, and in the radical teaching of the Gospel neighbour means everyone.

So in that sense the act of looking into the face of the least of us is not just kindness but a duty.

There are a million reasons not to: a meeting to catch, only a short break for lunch, fear of the unknown. It would also be easy to say this fleeting act of mercy really didn't matter. What was one gesture to a man whose life is endless filth, cold and hunger?

But it did matter. It meant everything.

Imagine if during the same day 20 people repeated her gesture. What would that look like? What if everyone was a bit late for the same meeting because of some simple act of kindness? Would anything have been lost, especially compared to what had been gained?

I may be naïve — some kind of fool that does not accept the reality of the world. Even Jesus said the poor would always be with us.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Re: A loving Act in Toronto

Postby Lyn » March 8th, 2016, 4:49 am

Someone famous said something along the lines of: ''You see God's love on the faces of the wretched''.
Your quote reminds me of that Pondero.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 23rd, 2017, 11:08 am

While I was waiting outside outside the opticians for my wife to drive by and pick me up on Friday, I saw a very young woman begging for money at the stop light for traffic, she was successful in one case, a driver gave her something before the lights changed. She had a red face, no make up and looked as if she had slept under a tree overnight. I did speak to her.

I felt very sorry for her.

That is not my main topic here. I request prayers, please for my wife who is having an eye operation at a clinic in Newmarket, tomorrow. .Skin is slowly growing over her left eye. It may have been caused by radiation from a breast cancer removal years ago.That was successful.We don't know.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Pondero

Postby different glory » April 23rd, 2017, 12:16 pm

I will certainly pray for your wife and her medical carers in the operation tomorrow, Pondy - starting now! :)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Pondero » April 23rd, 2017, 12:48 pm

Thank you different glory.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 23rd, 2017, 1:40 pm

I too will pray for the success of your wife's operation and treatment, Pondy, and a speedy recovery. God bless both of you. Do come back and let us know how she gets on.
Lyn

Postby GregB » April 23rd, 2017, 3:43 pm

Me too. Praying and hoping for the best for your wife, Pondero.
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Pondero » April 23rd, 2017, 5:53 pm

Thank you Lyn and Greg for your prayers.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 24th, 2017, 10:32 am

I was thinking of Mary first thing this morning, I hope she is getting on well (rather clumsily put, sorry). Hopefully Pondero will come back later on and tell us.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 24th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Yes,Lyn Mary was told that the vitrectomy operation went very well. Of course we have to wait until tomorrow for another doctor to render his verdict and then it will be nearly two weeks before she really knows for sure.
Thank you all for your prayers.
Edit. that sounds like I am not happy!
I am very happy with the results - just being cautious that is all.
Your prayers count a great deal , thanks again and God Bless...
Pondero

Next

Return to Prayer and care