Which psalm, and why?

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

Which psalm, and why?

Postby different glory » April 15th, 2009, 11:10 pm

This section of the site is "for Christians to ... build one another up" -- and maybe what I'm proposing will sound a bit light-hearted -- but I can't see why we can't build each other up in a light-hearted way.

Over Easter, I was discussing Psalm 118 with a friend ( :wave: ) and she passed on the interesting info that it was Luther's favourite psalm, that Luther said that it had brought him through a lot. (It's a great psalm, too -- highly recommended!!!)

And I thought how about we just toss around a few "favourite psalms" to each other, saying which ones we think are great and why. Of course, (and I bet Luther agreed, too) you don't really have a favourite psalm, any more than you have a favourite food -- what's right at one time is not what you need another time. So, not asking anyone to define their favourite for all time -- which psalm is currently speaking to you/are you currently enjoying, and why?
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Re: Which psalm, and why?

Postby mpempa » April 16th, 2009, 7:57 am

Good thread DG ... I have many favourite psalms but I absolutely adore Psalm One when it is chanted Athonite style in the slow plagal tone (not sure what it is) ... I am in a bit of a hurry to get to church now and will be holding an all night vigil with a girlfriend of mine and we intend to read the entire book of Psalms after midnight at the feet of the crucified Christ ... so, I will make a point to remember which of the Psalms stirs me up and comment next week!

God Bless and a "Kali Anastasi" to everyone - he will be Risen soon!
Image Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided.
mpempa

Postby flying finn » April 16th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Psalm 115 is a favourite of mine since I started praying the Divine Office.

I have believed, therefore have I spoken; but I have been humbled exceedingly.
I said in my excess: Every man is a liar.
What shall I render to the Lord, for all the things he hath rendered unto me?
I will take the chalice of salvation; and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
I will pay my vows to the Lord before all his people: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.
O Lord, for I am thy servant: I am thy servant, and the son of thy handmaid.
Thou hast broken my bonds: I will sacrifice to thee the sacrifice of praise, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
I will pay my vows to the Lord in the sight of all his people: In the courts of the house of the Lord, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem.

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints and I will sacrifice to thee the sacrifice of praise are the parts which stand out to me the most in this psalm. Our sacrifices, whether it be the sacrifrice of our life or the sacrifice of our prayers, have value when they are joined to the one sacrifice of Christ.
flying finn

Postby different glory » April 17th, 2009, 12:50 am

Thanks, ff! "precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" is an important one for me, too, especially when the deaths seen from here seem (sometimes) so meaningless, or trivial in the eyes of the world.

(mpempa -- I googled madly for athonite, plagal tone and psalm 1, hoping to be able to hear it ... but no luck. I know you're busy for the next day or so (and looking forward very much to exchanging greetings with you ... very early Sunday morning?) but if you know a link, I'd love to hear it when you're next by!)
Last edited by different glory on December 3rd, 2010, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Tom » April 19th, 2009, 9:49 pm

I always used to fancy that my favourite Psalm was Psalm 1 because it was the easiest to find; as I've grown as a Christian, I've found it guiding me in so very much.

Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.

Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.

Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.

"My faith is grounded on just about everything Christ taught and did, and yet, there again, I have never found a modern form of Christianity that subscribes absolutely to his teachings." - Bev :p
Tom

Postby mpempa » April 20th, 2009, 3:07 am

different glory wrote:mpempa -- I googled madly for athonite, plagal tone and psalm 1, hoping to be able to hear it ... but no luck. I know you're busy for the next day or so (and looking forward very much to exchanging greetings with you ... very early Sunday morning?) but if you know a link, I'd love to hear it when you're next by!)

Christ is Risen! Glory to His third-day Resurrection; We worship His third-day Resurrection. Christ is Risen from the dead trampling Death by death and bestowing life to those in the tombs.

Dear dg, if you would like these chants I am happy to burn you a CD (or even more) and mail them to you. Private Message Me (unless you know a way that I can upload mp3 onto this forum?).
Image Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided.
mpempa

Postby different glory » April 20th, 2009, 9:18 am

Alithos anesti! He is risen indeed! :amen:

The techie question I will refer elsewhere. :)
different glory

Postby different glory » July 4th, 2010, 12:20 am

Recently, Psalm 16 came up in my Sunday reading. And I thought I'd post about what a great psalm it is.

I have known various verses from this psalm from various sources -- one friend of mine quoted verse 6 for example, ('The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage') in her 21st birthday speech, as a graceful acknowledgement to her parents (and forebears).

But the whole thing -- there's so MUCH in there to ponder and to be glad about.
Last edited by different glory on December 3rd, 2010, 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
different glory

Postby Lyn » July 4th, 2010, 10:01 am

Psalm 131:
1 A Song of Ascents. Of David. O LORD, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. 2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a child quieted at its mother's breast; like a child that is quieted is my soul. 3 O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time forth and for evermore.

(RSV)
Lyn

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » July 20th, 2010, 1:04 pm

different glory wrote:which psalm is currently speaking to you/are you currently enjoying, and why?

Hi different glory. Great thread!

I'm finding myself using the Psalms on an increasing basis to pray for the persecuted church. For example, when I read verse 2 of Psalm 3:

Many are they who say of me,
"There is no help for him in God."

I'm reminded of the case of an 11 year-old Christian boy called Sanish Masih who has been kidnapped by a Muslim landowner and is forcing him to work without a break from 4am to 11pm to pay off his families debts. He has been told that his conditions will be eased if he converts to Islam.

and then I use that verse to pray that though Sanish's faithfulness, the Muslim landowner putting him through this ordeal will realise that the God in Heaven who Sanish is faithful to will help him.
SwordOfTheSpirit

Next

Return to The Christian bit