Spiritual maturity

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

Re: Spiritual maturity

Postby mpempa » August 25th, 2009, 6:34 am

I totally agree, Pondero. Spiritual Maturity can not be expressed in a paragraph but rather by way of examples and ideas. That was the reason why I created this thread ... I want to hear other people's ideas or stories ... since this is the "Christian bit" all posts are to build each other up ...

I have read many stories similar to the one you describe. The women, rather than leave their marriages, decide to stay in the marriage and "endure" certain "trials" and not just turn the situation around but, in some cases, Saints by virtue of their patience and "spiritual maturity". (Disclaimer: I just wanted to point out that I have never heard the church ever recommend that woman stay in marriages with serious "violent" or "abusive" undertones. Indeed, the care exercised by Spiritual fathers is the safety and emotional well-being of the individuals concerned, particularly if children are involved).
Image Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided.
mpempa

Postby mpempa » December 9th, 2009, 2:08 am

Saint John Cassian on Sympathizing with Others

Learn from your own experience to sympathize with those in trouble, and never to terrify with destructive despair those who are in danger, nor harden them with severe speeches, but rather restore them with gentle and kindly consolations.

This excerpt was taken from the book “The Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers: Second Series Vol. XI”
mpempa

Postby mpempa » December 9th, 2009, 2:10 am

“A person is never entirely bad. Each person has his good and bad points. When you remember his good points, you pray for him, you are moved, your soul feels for him, and you entreat God for him. And as for his bad side, he is not to blame, but our enemy the devil is. Therefore, don’t be sad, my child, and don’t remember the past. For those things have passed.”

~ Elder Joseph the Hesychast
mpempa

Postby Pondero » December 22nd, 2016, 11:35 am

I am renewing this old thread, (topic) because I know of someone who has it and is probably a saint. I am referring to
Dr.Simone , who until this year was in charge of Canadian Food for Children .We ( the wife and I ) went to his house yesterday to deliver an envelope to him. We found a van outside of some nursing unit or other.My wife went to the door and met the nurse who had access to the house and gave her the envelope. Dr.Simone has cancer, and who knows short of a miracle how long he will live. I used to visit him as a patient a few years ago as he is an Harvard educated dermatologist. He devoted his life to visiting poor sick people in third world countries with food and medicine. He doesn't have a car and there was a stack of firewood for heating his house outside.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Previous

Return to The Christian bit