Sacred Spam

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

Sacred Spam

Postby different glory » November 14th, 2010, 1:37 am

I didn't make up the phrase in the title! I saw it this morning in an article from an Australian mag, The Australian Church Record -- the author wrote:

My inbox is full of those unsolicited emails from well meaning
Christians with photos of stunning scenery accompanied by a poem or allegory.
The text culminates in a life application or an affirmation that God loves you, a reminder
of his sovereignty or what his will is for your life.

Do you delete after reading, or boldly delete without reading?

I’ve been saving Sanctified Spam and after less than 2 years my SS folder contains
33 emails – and it’s growing! It’s bothering me.

You see, if we know we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the
Lord (Matt 4), why are we Christians so quick to delight in clever man-made stories
and stunning photography. The plain word of the Lord seems so “last century”. Surely
we can do better than Sanctified Spam!

I liked the phrase and the ideas, and I thought I'd share them. :)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Re: Sacred Spam

Postby Lyn » November 14th, 2010, 2:38 am

I HATE sanctified spam so your thread made me laugh. I always delete poems and pics of that nature; unless, of course, someone has gone out of their way to select something especially for me, to help me, as an act of kindness, but that rarely happens. It's usually something that has been sent to loads of people.
Lyn

Postby Liz » November 14th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Me too. I generally try and save them, so I can read at a later date, and then get fed up of waiting and so delete a load without ever even have opening up the emails. (I've currently over 60 unread emails in my inbox, and whilst not all of them are Sacred Spam, a huge proportion of them are. I might go deleting...)
Liz

Postby Bev » November 15th, 2010, 11:07 pm

I delete them all, especially the ones that urge you to resend to a number of people so that you get a blessing (or worse, so bad luck won't befall you.)

Btw, DG, I thought you might be referring to canned spam, the meat, as I remembered my oldest son telling me that for some reason more cans are consumed in Australia than any other country. :D
Bev

Postby different glory » November 16th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Canned spam, hey? :grin:

Well, I can't say I ever in my life saw a can of it in Australia, but I did many and many a time see tins of Camp Pie! -- and I suspect it's much of a muchness. We ate it many a time, too, cut into slices and fried as a cheap and nourishing (I suppose) meal!

(The people who wrote the ad don't seem to know about frying it, though -- we always thought it was much better than "raw".)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » March 2nd, 2011, 5:16 am

You ain't tasted anything until you've tried spam fritters!

I know I said I delete everything like that, and I do generally, but I was once sent one about Father's love. Changing pictures of beautiful scenery accompanied by words. It was so restful.

Other than that, they all go in the bin. Well that one must have gone in the bin too because I no longer have it but I didn't deliberately delete it. It wasn't spam really, it was sent to me to help me.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 2nd, 2011, 11:38 am

I love tinned corn beef from Argentina, and can't get enough of it. Spam, I like too if I can find it. Right now my wife has changed my Sunday breakfast from ordinary bacon to pea-meal, because it is good for me, she says. And, even worse from a taste perspective, she has bought turkey slices which look like bacon ( no fat) which look similar to sliced bacon but taste differently. What next I wonder!
It is difficult to fry pea-meal bacon or turkey sliced "bacon" and you have to add some canola oil to the frying pan to do so. Still with the fried eggs and tomatoes I add to the mix it is edible, although not the best. First of all with pea meal you are best to put it in the microwave for about a minute or two to get the liquid out of it, then you fry it, or warm it up.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Return to The Christian bit