Unexpected Bible verses

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

Unexpected Bible verses

Postby different glory » April 29th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Every now and then, I come across something in my reading of scripture that really surprises me -- something quite unexpected. (I'm hoping I'm not the only one!)

Here's one I came across recently...

Zechariah 7:9,10.
Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother:
And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.

This really startled me! There's the fairly standard OT list of things not to do -- not to oppress a widow or the fatherless, etc, but then.... not to imagine evil! I was taken aback that sins of the imagination were skewered in the Old Testament, and not even the (to us, because we're familiar with it) "obvious" sin of hating, or lusting, as taught by Jesus, but just the simple imagining of evil -- which could be a simple as: "well, how would he like it if he got sick/lost his job/broke his leg...", or could be as widespread as thinking someone has behaved much worse than they are known to have behaved, as for example when false rumours are spread about enemies in wartime -- was condemned as much as oppressing the helpless, or swearing a false oath.

(The false oath equation appears when the forbidding of imagining evil turns up again in Zechariah 8:1)

So -- that's my surprising verse for today -- and a challenge for me, too, to live up to!

Any other unexpected Bible verses?
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Re: Unexpected Bible verses

Postby maz » April 30th, 2011, 7:20 am

different glory wrote:, or could be as widespread as thinking someone has behaved much worse than they are known to have behaved, as for example when false rumours are spread about enemies in wartime -- was condemned as much as oppressing the helpless, or swearing a false oath.

-- and a challenge for me, too, to live up to!..

yes, me too...a few years ago I did a study and was surprised to see how much God hates slander and idle words - I guess I knew, but seeing it in 'black and white' text reinforced my concern about sinning in that way. So when I speak it is slow and measured [usually].
Thankfully I type slowly anyway, so have more time to think about what I type [usually] in my e-mails etc. [I do hate the practice of sending e-mails with unproven rumours in].

there's a lot in the Pslams about not speaking slander, [of course David had so much directed at him].

Matt. 12 36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Matthew 15:19
For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.

my challenge is to be careful what I say about my neighbours, especially those who live 2 doors away - their barking dog is one of the few things that has made me forget to measure my words. I have been harsh in recent weeks.
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby John OGroats » June 29th, 2011, 8:47 pm

YOu notice as well and it is an interesting observation - Adam and Eve were made in the image of God, but we read that when Adam and Eve had children, they were made in the image of Adam

His offspring were made in the image of Adam - he was just like his daddy

So we were born in sin and we needed to repent
John OGroats

Postby Lyn » June 29th, 2011, 10:12 pm

I've just re-read this dg. I didn't reply because I felt Maz had said it all for me but right now it is hitting home to me in exactly the same as it did to you and obviously to Maz. That imagining evil against your brother is a sin. It's something most people outgrow at a young age and they need to be encouraged to think kindly towards others, it's not going to work all the time - but kids are kids. When adults do it it must be so frightening. I do occasionally now express anger, when I feel it is appropriate to do so (I will soon be told if I am being unreasonable and take it on board), but I've never wished something nasty to happen to someone, even if he or she is a prat at the time and it blows itself out like a storm in a teacup. That is something quite serious, not only on a health level because it will eat into your mind but could be the start of actually arranging something evil for your brother. The thought is father to the deed. I can imagine the germ of an idea growing in the mind, poured over endlessly then, we hope, filters out or, we hope not, something bad happens to brother.

Wow, that is a powerful verse.

We must not worry about stray thoughts - which can be frightening - or unpleasant dreams *, we all get them at some time, some more than others. A stray thought will pass through - I always imagining it floating in one of my ears and out of the other, that's quite tranquil. Once that has happened I tend to forget what it was, it becomes vague. My point here is we do not have complete control over our brains and things will slip in and out all the time, sometimes funny things, sometimes worries, sometimes fear. We mustn't add to our worry about those because they are not controlling us. We take in a lot of outside information and occasionally a though will enter head which seems quite pleasant or alarming - but it goes.

*(Now for laugh: or even pleasant giggly dreams - I had one about Lord Alan Sugar a few weeks ago, I think he was nearly as surprised as me. I was on a boat - a yacht - like a sort of cruise which I would hate. I was sitting in my white room (state room) and decided to telephone him. At that stage of the dream I didn't really know who I was phoning but on the wall was a screen which lit up and showed the person I was talking to. It was Alan Sugar! He didn't look very pleased to hear from me, said where are you, what are doing, are you coming back? I said, I just wanted to make sure you don't forget while I'm away in the most sexy voice imaginable! Then I gave a little throaty laugh and said, "Caio" in low humourous voice. Then I woke up, tried very hard to go back to sleep to carry on the dream but that didn't happen. Ever since then I laugh and laugh at the thought of that dream, I almost roll on the floor in laughter whenever I see Sugar on TV.
Another dream was being a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing with Hari Dhillon who plays Michael Spence in Holby. That always makes me smile.)
Lyn

Postby Bev » June 30th, 2011, 1:22 am

Victoria Plum wrote:I've just re-read this dg. I didn't reply because I felt Maz had said it all for me but right now it is hitting home to me in exactly the same as it did to you and obviously to Maz. That imagining evil against your brother is a sin. It's something most people outgrow at a young age and they need to be encouraged to think kindly towards others, it's not going to work all the time - but kids are kids. When adults do it it must be so frightening. I do occasionally now express anger, when I feel it is appropriate to do so (I will soon be told if I am being unreasonable and take it on board), but I've never wished something nasty to happen to someone, even if he or she is a prat at the time and it blows itself out like a storm in a teacup. That is something quite serious, not only on a health level because it will eat into your mind but could be the start of actually arranging something evil for your brother. The thought is father to the deed. I can imagine the germ of an idea growing in the mind, poured over endlessly then, we hope, filters out or, we hope not, something bad happens to brother.

Wow, that is a powerful verse.

I so agree with this. Don't have a new scripture to offer, though. I just want to think on this one a bit more. I've been thinking for some time about how worry can be the opposite of faith (thinking in terms of prayer.) The scripture you quoted, DG, affirms to me that this must be true.
Bev

Postby Lyn » July 6th, 2011, 10:33 am

I was looking this morning for the thread dg started where the subject of worry came up, so I will post on this thread. I remembered the previous one as having more contributions, but I can't look through them all.

Quite coincidentally the subject of worry came up in conversation on Monday. A person I was with was talking about the common sense of the Bible, especially the passage where we are urged not to worry ("Do not store up treasures on earth....etc"), because worry will not add one day to our life. It is one of my favourite passages (Matthew 6: 19 onwards, I think), but I said there is danger that we will worry about worrying. My opinion is that it would be unnatural to be unconcerned about things that life throw us, we have to take them seriously, and that passage is a guideline to stop us all going too far. His interpretation was, "Know your own limits", applying it to situations over which we have little or no control and must realise that we can't do anything.
Lyn

Postby different glory » September 5th, 2011, 12:11 am

Not exactly unexpected, but very applicable!!

Turn my eyes from watching what is worthless;
give me life in your ways.
Psalm 119:37
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » September 5th, 2011, 7:19 am

different glory wrote:Not exactly unexpected, but very applicable!!

Turn my eyes from watching what is worthless;
give me life in your ways.
Psalm 119:37

Certainly one to bear in mind the next time we're about to switch on that box in the corner!
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Sweet Peace » September 5th, 2011, 9:03 am

Too true!
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Return to The Christian bit