Time for a spring clean... me thinks... cob webs aside.

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

Time for a spring clean... me thinks... cob webs aside.

Postby Ishy » February 15th, 2015, 11:55 pm

How often do Christians feel they really can discuss the issues here and have their faith built upon?

Sometimes we all need that word of encouragement, the hug or even just to know someone cares.
As believers what do we do everyday to make a difference for others.

Mugging here has had some really rough times during the last year. I use to shrug it off not really facing it, just trying to get on and upwards.
But it okay not to feel the brightest button everyday or feel up to talking when tired.
But it is also worth the effort to make others feel okay about themselves.

I find if I am giving I am not thinking about my own problems. It makes life so much easier when things are difficult... :grin:
Ishy

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Time for a spring clean... me thinks... cob webs aside.

Postby Bev » February 16th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Good post, Ishy. I've found the prayer support here so very comforting and effective.
Bev

Postby Lyn » November 28th, 2015, 4:24 am

Only just seen this, that was a very positive post miss ishy (not ignoring you Bev).
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 7th, 2015, 10:40 am

We don't have anyone on st-thads from the United States who can give us a uniquely American viewpoint, and that is just one of other reasons why Bev should be invited back here. Her contributions on American politics would be invaluable.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 7th, 2015, 6:29 pm

What do you mean by Bev being invited back here, Pondy? As far as I know she hasn't gone anywhere.
Lyn

Postby GregB » December 8th, 2015, 8:35 am

She left the forum last March (though she did look in again briefly about the death of long-standing member Lynne.) She explained her reasons in the following post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3607

After nine months' absence, I think it unlikely she will return - regrettable as she was a highly-valued poster (and friend) but personal wishes must be respected.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke
GregB

Postby Lyn » December 8th, 2015, 9:47 am

I remember that now Greg but thought she had come back and was posting occasionally. Probably because of what she told us, about Lynne's death and the death of Maz's husband. Also I get an email or PM from her occasionally so she doesn't seem far away. Ah well, not much we can do about it We're getting smaller and smaller.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 8th, 2015, 10:48 am

I just want to point out that I was not the one who was responsible for Bev leaving . I could disagree with Bev in friendly fashion. I remember when I first met Bev. I had great difficulty persuading my wife to come with me to Orlando to visit this woman whom her husband had met on the internet. (My wife does not use the computer .)
I drove up I75 from Port Charlotte ,turned onto Interstate 4 and stopped by the side of the road to locate Bev',s address. My wife wanted me to turn back at that point. We continued arguing a little.
When we stopped near Bev's front lawn we were greeted by a smiling young woman who gave us both a hug and invited us inside .At that point my wife chatted amiably with Bev, and I was the one a bit miserable in mood. My wife got on famously with Bev and so did I after I recovered .
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby GregB » December 8th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Vix,
Bev's posts on the death of Maz's husband were in February, before her departure from the forum in March. Her only posts after the latter were those few about Lynne in March. She hasn't posted anything else since then. (All this can be verified on her forum profile.)

As for getting smaller, that reminds me of the classic exchange between Gloria Swanson as the faded old film star and William Holden as her younger lover in Billy Wilder's classic, 'Sunset Boulevard':
Holden: "Didn't you used to be big?"
Swanson: "I'm still big. It's the pictures got smaller."

Pondero,
No, it was nothing to do with your posts. Her decision to leave was influenced by rather sharp engagements with other members.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke
GregB

Postby Lyn » December 8th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Agree with Greg that it was nothing to do with you, Pondy, why Bev left. There weren't any great 'altercations' with others from what I can see, just heated differences of opinion and that is what forums are about. Goodness gracious, we used to have many more and a lot more personal remarks, but Bev was right to go if she no longer felt comfortable. I honestly didn't think she had gone for good.

Bev knows she would be greeted enthusiastically if she came back.
Lyn

Return to The Christian bit