The 21 Egyptian Martyrs in Libya

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

The 21 Egyptian Martyrs in Libya

Postby Theophilus » February 20th, 2015, 11:10 pm

This could have gone on the Jihad Watch thread, but I think that would be to give too much emphasis to ISIS who committed the atrocity, and in any case the media focuses enough on what this latest act means in terms of ISIS's relative strengths/threat.

What wasn't really emphasized at all, but which has been proclaimed by the Coptic Church in Egypt, is that these men were martyred because of their Christian faith, and that even in the video there are audible cries of "Lord Jesus" from some of the Christians before their execution. The brother of two of the martyrs has said in interviews that he "thanks ISIS" for not editing out this profession of faith in the videos they released.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/b ... /48412.htm

At least one bishop in Egypt, and countless other clergy, have said that this particular execution will unite Christians in Egypt, and all Egyptians as a whole, and strengthen the Church ('the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church').

I have not seen the videos, but stills from the videos are ubiquitous. What struck me (without wanting to disparage the other victims in previous videos) was how calm and at peace the men looked before the killing took place.

So let us focus only on the grief of this murder, but take at face value the reaction of many of the Christians most directly impacted (the martyrs themselves, their families, and those in the same church as them) and rejoice also that these young men died whilst proclaiming the name of our lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

Let us remember and celebrate their lives too, and never forget their names:

1. Hani Abdel Messihah
2. Yousef Shoukry
3. Towadros Yousef
4. Maged Suleiman Shahata
5. Milad Makeen Zaky
6. Abanub Ayad Atiya
7. Kirollos Shokry Fawzy (Kirollos Bashree Fawzy)
8. Bishoy Astafanus Kamel
9. Malak Ibrahim Sinweet
10. Girgis Milad Sinweet
11. Mina Fayez Aziz
12. Samuel Alham Wilson
13. Samuel Astafanus Kamel
14. Ezat Bishri Naseef
15. Loqa Nagaty Anees
16. Munir Gaber Adly
17. Esam Badir Samir
18. Malak Farag Abram
19. Sameh Salah (Sameh Salah Farug)
20. Girgis Sameer Maglee
21. Unknown (While the Egyptian government has said that all 21 men were Coptic Christians, a document compiled by the church in Minya and provided to The WorldPost lists only 20 names)
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: The 21 Egyptian Martyrs in Libya

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » February 21st, 2015, 1:39 pm

Thanks for this Theo. The approach of the Christians in the midst of these trials is brilliant. Was particularly encouraged by this from the article:

Asked by host Maher Fayez what he would say if he were asked to forgive ISIS, he related what his mother said she would do if she saw one of the men who killed her son. "My mother, an uneducated woman in her sixties, said she would ask [him] to enter her house and ask God to open his eyes because he was the reason her son entered the kingdom of heaven."

Invited to pray for his brothers' killers, Beshir prayed: "Dear God, please open their eyes to be saved and to quit their ignorance and the wrong teachings they were taught."
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby different glory » February 22nd, 2015, 2:01 am

Thank you for posting this, Theo; it is good to have their names, and that link, to know and honour them, and to see them as real people in the context of their families and their daily lives. (Though having said that, that one is unnamed is poignant and thought-provoking.)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Theophilus » February 22nd, 2015, 5:55 pm

different glory wrote:Thank you for posting this, Theo; it is good to have their names, and that link, to know and honour them, and to see them as real people in the context of their families and their daily lives. (Though having said that, that one is unnamed is poignant and thought-provoking.)

Perhaps the list has been updated since then. It is assumed the unknown man was Christian, and Egyptian, and no doubt some of the other martyrs must have known him; but the failure to identify him means that despite videos of his murder, no one who has seen the videos or heard about the news recognizes him as a friend, acquaintance, or family. As I said, I haven't seen the video, so perhaps not all of the men murdered are shown clearly to be recognized.
Theophilus

Postby Theophilus » February 25th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Coptic Church Canonizes the 21 Christians Murdered by ISIS in Libya

The Coptic Orthodox Church has announced that the 21 Egyptian Christians murdered by the Islamic State in Libya will be commemorated in its Church calendar as martyrs and saints.

Coptic Orthodox Pope Tawadros II said that the names of the 21 martyrs beheaded by ISIS on February 14 will be inserted into the Coptic Synaxarium, the Oriental Church’s official list of Martyrs, a procedure similar to canonization in the Latin Church.

Read More>>
Theophilus

Postby Pondero » February 25th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Surely Theo ,it doesn't mean that they would be saints under Roman Catholic Church Canon law, the method of canonization is different. I think we can rest assured the 21 victims of ISIS (Coptic Christians) are Christian martyrs who died for the Faith.
Under Roman Catholic canon law they would first be Venerable, then Blessed,and if by their intercession a miracle of bodily healing of someone was worked by God, then they would be canonized as a Saint.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Theophilus » February 26th, 2015, 10:52 am

The Roman Catholics do not have a monopoly on canonization. No, they haven't been canonized by the R.C. (or the Eastern Orthodox Church for that matter). But the Coptic Church has responded to these men's death in this - I believe entirely appropriate - way.
Theophilus

Postby Lyn » February 26th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Anyone who gets into Heaven is a saint - maybe not famous or canonised but a saint nonetheless (don't have to be Catholics or Orthodox or anything). I was taught this at school, were the nuns wrong?
Lyn

Postby Theophilus » February 26th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Canonization is the 'official' recognition of grass-root support and veneration for a particular reposed Saint. This is, I believe, how canonization is done in the Coptic church. Therefore, canonization is the official recognition that these 21 are in heaven and died specifically for their faith. It's a bit 'quick', admittedly, but underlines the true spiritual victory of those murdered over their murderers. Gainsaying the Coptic church's decision here is not particularly helpful as it can easily come across as doubting the faith of those killed.
Theophilus

Postby different glory » March 2nd, 2015, 5:32 am

Entirely appropriate, as you say, Theo. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. (Psalm 116)

(no, I don't think the nuns got that bit wrong, VP! :) )
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Next

Return to The Christian bit