Christ is risen!

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

Christ is risen!

Postby different glory » April 5th, 2015, 2:12 am

Last night I was at a concert,where they played Samuel Barber's adagio for strings which is not unconnected to this other piece of his, the agnus Dei.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFJ4hN7vxWo
and a young man next to me (a pianist/piano student - whose English was shaky) wrote: "Torch to God" on a piece of paper, and showed it to me, to express his response to the music.

and I thought about the phrase, and what it might have meant (the concert was going on - it wasn't a time for talking) and it seemed to me that, whether he meant it showed the way, lit the way to God, or if he meant it was lifting up a sign of worship to God, either way, it was a way to contemplate Jesus.

and so I send it to you all, as my Easter greeting today. (it's just as good for Palm Sunday, Theo!)

Christ is risen.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Re: Christ is risen!

Postby Lyn » April 6th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Thanks for that dg - and I love Barber's 'Adagio with Strings', one of my favourite pieces.
Lyn

Postby GregB » April 6th, 2015, 4:32 pm

I've put in a post about Barber and his wonderful music in Chatterbox (Talking Music.)
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby different glory » April 12th, 2015, 12:34 am

and once more, what is always true:

Christos anesti!
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » April 12th, 2015, 7:14 am

different glory wrote:and once more, what is always true:

Christos anesti!

Alithos anesti!
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Return to The Christian bit