Living a Christian life

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

Living a Christian life

Postby Rose » February 2nd, 2017, 7:46 pm

I'm not a Christian but........

I'd be interested what things posters feel are important to living a Christian life.
( Please try to explain rather than saying a Christ centred life ) there is no one right answer IMO.

What to you personally, is important in living a Christian life ? for some prayer might be important, to another helping a neighbour.

Please think about how people can't all be the same, people may have different things they are gifted at. All are part of life's jigsaw.

What sets you on fire? What inspires you? As a Christian?

Let's discuss that respecting people may be individual and different.
Ramblin' rose, ramblin' rose
Why you ramble, no one knows
Wild and wind-blown, that's how you've grown
Who can cling to a ramblin' rose?
Rose

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Living a Christian life

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2017, 8:16 pm

Your first sentence floored me, Rose, because I thought you were a Christian!
I can think of various things but they aren't exclusive to Christianity, eg treating others as you wish to be treated, welcoming strangers, etc. Many people do that better than Christians though.

Not having too much of a big ego is important, I think.
Lyn

Postby different glory » February 13th, 2017, 9:32 am

what things are important... to living a Christian life

A Christian life as opposed to an "ordinary" good life, do you mean? Then I'll take as read the "ordinary" precepts and virtues which pretty well all civilisations have in common - I mean the things Lyn has mentioned - welcoming strangers etc. But let me see if I can find a few things that I think are specifically important for me in living a Christian life. Hhmmmm.... :write:

Prayer - this is such an amazing privilege and wonder that I'm gobsmacked at myself for so often neglecting it!

Acceptance of things as a gift from God - the natural world, say - such a gift! (I have such an unhappy fear that we've broken this one - or broken the bit of it given to us to look after, anyway.) Family (which isn't to say this can't be a challenging gift at times! ). Myself - another gift with challenges. :) But also accepting difficulties and hardships as gifts - not to say I sit passively, or think that (for example) an aching tooth or rotten employer should just be endured. The gift can be in finding the cure or the strategy to defeat a wrong.

Hope - we are all damaged human beings, but I believe the long story of redemption is going to end in salvation, not just for the certified good people, or the certified baptised people, but for all of us, as per Romans 8:19 and verses following. Which reminds me that...

Reading the scriptures - is very valuable for me - I use the psalms a lot, but just about every other part of the Bible as well - though I don't much like Ezra, and don't really know Leviticus or Numbers.

There! That's a few to start with. But why did you ask?
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » February 13th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Good. I also said not having a big ego and that means realising everything we have, we do, we are is because of God's grace.
Lyn

Postby different glory » February 17th, 2017, 9:13 am

Yes, I spotted that! :) And agreed - I just didn't want to repeat your whole post.

Where's Rose gone? :confused:
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » February 17th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Away on holiday.
Lyn

Postby Sweet Peace » February 17th, 2017, 10:41 pm

I did post on here but it got swept away in the update.
For me, what distinguishes the Christian life from other beliefs is that Christ has done it for us! We need humility to accept that free gift of grace and to give up all the self justifying that is common to believers of other faiths and also to non-believers. It comes as a blow to the ego to realise that although we have errors upon errors there isn't a single thing we can do to redeem ourselves and it a massive relief to learn that Christ has done it for us, once for all having taken our sins on the Cross.
To maintain a good Christian walk it's important to read scripture, have fellowship, and pray.
God bless!
Are you saying, Rose, that you are not a Christian, or were you quoting what others often say?
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Lyn » February 17th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Rose didn't actually say anything about what she thought or believed, she was just asking what we believed.

I agree with what you and dg said btw.
Lyn

Postby GregB » February 18th, 2017, 8:37 am

Sweet Peace wrote:Are you saying, Rose, that you are not a Christian...?

I think she made that clear in her opening post, SP (quote):
"I'm not a Christian but........
I'd be interested what things posters feel are important to living a Christian life.
( Please try to explain rather than saying a Christ centred life ) there is no one right answer IMO."

As for the rest of that quote, I take it that by 'a Christian life' she's thinking more in terms of ethics and praxis (ie. practice) than just faith and/or a set of religious beliefs. Of course, the problem with the former is that there are many non-Christians (atheists, agnostics, members of other faiths, etc.) who live exemplary self-denying lives in helping others and seeking to improve living conditions in this world in myriad ways, often altruistically putting their gifts or talents to good use.

I think it was Dietrich Boenhoffer who said, "We must live penultimately", by which I think he meant that we should not take life in this world as the last word (as, say, an atheist would) but as a prelude to the full realisation of our humanity in God's purposes. Or as C.S.Lewis said, we should not confuse the inns of refreshment on our journey for the final destination. That's not to say, of course, that we can just shirk any responsibility towards others or, indeed, the planet itself in this life, living in some kind of insular bubble; quite the opposite. Many Christians believe we can neglect the environment and social problems, as the present world is destined to perish anyway, but that is badly wrong. It's still God's creation ("and it was good") and we are still its stewards, come what may.
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby different glory » February 20th, 2017, 11:47 am

Yes, indeed. In fact, I think that our responsibilities to the environment and other people get clearer and stronger when we see them in the light of eternity. Or ought to, anyway. :(
Another quote from CS Lewis: "There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations - these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." Or, he might have added, ignore when they're sick, or oppressed, or starving.
different glory

Next

Return to The Christian bit