Holy Words of Wisdom

Prayers, hymns, images etc
Forum rules
Post prayers, hymns, images etc here, but please respect copyright. If it belongs to someone else, get their permission first.

Re: Holy Words of Wisdom

Postby mpempa » December 11th, 2009, 10:53 am

"By no other virtue, by no other fulfillment of the Lord's comandment, can anyone be known as a disciple of Christ, for He says, 'By this will all men know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another' (Jn. 13:55). It is for this reason that 'the Word became flesh and dwelt among us' (Jn. 1:14). For this reason He was incarnate; He willingly endured His life-giving sufferings, in order that He might deliver man, His own creature, from the bonds of hades, and restore him and lead him up to heaven."

St. Symeon the New Theologian.
Image Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided.
mpempa

Postby mpempa » December 18th, 2009, 10:47 am

On the Recollection of Old Sins

“Old sins, when recalled in detail, harm the person who hopes in God, because they give way to sorrow and deprive him of hope, and if he pictures them without sorrow they bring back old pollution. Then the mind through renunciation achieves unwavering hope, then the Enemy causes it to picture past evils on the pretext that it is confessing them to God; he does this in order to rekindle passions that by God’s grace have been forgotten, and to secretly harm the person.”

~ St. Mark the Ascetic, Concerning Those Who Imagine that They are Justified by Works.
mpempa

Postby mpempa » March 22nd, 2010, 2:19 am

If God had not called us to follow His holy way of self-knowledge and to be aware of our previous sinful life, and if divine illumination were absent, we never would have seen the way of light and of truth. He has called us all--some from childhood, others in middle age, others in old age. Being good, He took all of us as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, in order to make us participants in His divine kingdom. He loathed nothing--neither sore nor wound or sickness or the deformity of our souls' spiritual features. But as a father He received us, as a mother He suckled us, and as an unmercenary physician He healed and clothed us in the first garment of sonship, of grace, overlooking the great debt of the sins of each one of us. Therefore, we owe Him infinite love and adoration. May love abide in the heart, as a living fountain gushing forth torrents of water, streams of divine eros. Not as the Isreal of old--only honoring with their lips, while their heart was far from Christ--but as living fire saying, "Come to the Father."
mpempa

Postby mpempa » March 25th, 2010, 1:58 am

By means of wood and water are the people of Israel saved.
mpempa

Postby mpempa » May 26th, 2010, 11:29 am

"A word born of righteous activity (praxis) is one thing, and a beautiful speech is another. Even without experience, wisdom is clever at imparting beauty to her words, at speaking the truth without really knowing it, and at making declarations on virtue while the man himself never makes trial of it in his deeds. Speech that comes from righteous activity is a treasury of hope, but wisdom not based on righteous activity is a deposit of disgrace. Just as when an artist frescoes water on the walls and cannot relieve his thirst with it, or just as a man dreams beautiful dreams, even so is speech not based on righteous activity."
mpempa

Postby mpempa » May 26th, 2010, 11:33 am

Do you wish to commune with God in your intellect by receiving a perception of that delight which is not enslaved to the senses?

Pursue mercy; for when something that is like unto God (Matt. 5:45-48) is found in you, then that holy beauty is depicted by Him. For the whole sum of the deeds of mercy immediately brings the soul into communion with the unity of the glory of the Godhead's splendour.
mpempa

Postby Theophilus » October 20th, 2011, 7:25 pm

There would be no need for words if our lives were shining; there would be no need for Teachers if we bore witness with our deeds; there would be no more heathen if we were such Christians as we ought to be.

Let us then so live, that the name of God be not blasphemed. Let us not, on the one hand, look to human reputation; nor on the other, subject ourselves to an evil report, but on both sides let us observe moderation; as he says, "Among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Philippians 2:15). For on this account He left us here, that we may be as luminaries. that we may be appointed Teachers of others, that we may be as leaven; that we may converse as angels among men, as men with children, as spiritual with natural men, that they may profit by us, that we may be as seed, and may bring forth much fruit.

There would be no need for words if our lives were shining; there would be no need for Teachers if we bore witness with our deeds; there would be no more heathen if we were such Christians as we ought to be. If we kept the commandments of Christ, if we suffered injury, if we allowed advantage to be taken of us, if being reviled we blessed, if being ill-treated we did good (1 Corinthians 4:12); if this were the general practice among us, no one would be so brutal as not to become a convert to godliness. And to show this; Paul was but one man, yet how many did he draw after him? If we were all such as he, how many worlds might we not have drawn to us? Behold, Christians are more numerous than heathens. And in other arts, one man can teach a hundred boys together; but here, where there are many more teachers, and many more than the learners, no one is brought over. For those who are taught, look to the virtue of their teachers: and when they see us manifesting the same desires, pursuing the same objects, power and honor, how can they admire Christianity? They see our lives open to reproach, our souls worldly. We admire wealth equally with them, and even more. We have the same horror of death, the same dread of poverty, the same impatience of disease, we are equally fond of glory and of rule. We harass ourselves to death from our love of money, and serve the time. How then can they believe? From miracles? But these are no longer wrought. From our conversation? It has become corrupt. From charity? Not a trace of it is anywhere to be seen.

Therefore we shall have to give an account not only of our own sins, but of the injury done by them to others.

- St John Chrysostom: 10th Homily on 1 Timothy
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Previous

Return to Inspirational