The Lenten Journey 2014

Prayers, hymns, images etc
Forum rules
Post prayers, hymns, images etc here, but please respect copyright. If it belongs to someone else, get their permission first.

Re: The Lenten Journey 2014

Postby Pondero » April 18th, 2014, 5:54 pm

The Lenten journey will soon be over, and what have we learned from it.I know, I didn't do all the penance I set out to do.
Yesterday evening we had a Mass and although it was light when we arrived, at about 7pm it was dark afterwards and as my car had to leave the parking lot first, as it blocked all others but one, I was first out. Backing up for the distance of a cricket pitch is no fun, especially when you narrowly miss a gas guzzling giant of an SUV alongside. Nevertheless, we made it.

Today,again we had to park any which way which jammed other vehicles, but the annoying part of it was that we were out early, but,we had to wait 15 minutes for a woman whose red car blocked the entrance. She didn't appear to care. The cantor asked me to back up so she could get out, but to no avail.
Inside the church we had a good seat as we arrived three quarters of an hour early. Immediately in front of us was what we think was a homeless person. He looked the part and smelled, although his clothes appeared clean He did not stand up once except to go to Holy Communion.He was asleep the rest of the time.
I think my problems in the parking lot made up for any penance I didn't do earlier.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Theophilus » April 18th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Pondero wrote:The Lenten journey will soon be over, and what have we learned from it.I know, I didn't do all the penance I set out to do.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, Pondero, as it's almost certainly worse to come out of Lent thinking you did really well (think: the Publican and the Pharisee) :good:
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Theophilus » April 18th, 2014, 11:57 pm

The Lord's Lamentations (in Romanian)

This is the "funeral service" for Christ, the Lamentations by the Tomb, sung on the evening of Good Friday (so technically the first service of Saturday, the Sabbath).

It is amazing to me that this video is not on a loop, and that the singers are really keeping up the same rhythm for almost one hour.

For the English lyrics, go here:
http://newbyz.org/lamentationsletter.pdf

Покаяния отверзи ми двери (Open unto me the gates of repentance)

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.

Open unto me the gates of repentance, O Giver of life,
for my spirit waketh at dawn toward Thy holy temple,
bearing a temple of the body all defiled.
But in Thy compassion, cleanse it by the loving-kindness of Thy mercy.

Both now and ever and unto ages of ages, Amen.

Guide me in the paths of salvation, O Mother of God,
for I have defiled my soul with shameful sins,
and have wasted all my life in slothfulness,
but by thine intercessions deliver me from all uncleanness.

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy
And according to the multitude of Thy compassions, blot out my transgressions.
When I think of the multitude of evil things I have done, I, a wretched one,
I tremble at the fearful day of judgment;
but trusting in the mercy of Thy loving-kindness, like David do I cry unto Thee:
Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy.

:wave:
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Previous

Return to Inspirational