Desert Wisdom

Prayers, hymns, images etc
Forum rules
Post prayers, hymns, images etc here, but please respect copyright. If it belongs to someone else, get their permission first.

Re: Desert Wisdom

Postby Theophilus » January 6th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Loquacity mostly comes from a certain vainglory, which makes us think that we know a great deal and imagine our opinion on the subject of conversation to be the most satisfactory of all. So we experience an irresistible urge to speak out and in a stream of words, with many repetitions, to impress the same opinion in the hearts of others, thus foisting ourselves upon them as unbidden teachers and sometimes even dreaming of making pupils of men, who understand the subject much better than the teacher.

From the Unseen Warfare
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Theophilus » March 6th, 2013, 10:03 am

Do not sit with folded hands putting off the sewing of your wedding garment until it's time to go out and meet the coming Bridegroom, Christ our Lord. Now is in our hands, but tomorrow is in the hands of God... He Who gave you this morning is not bound to give you the evening too.

From the Unseen Warfare
Theophilus

Postby Theophilus » June 1st, 2013, 10:22 pm

Do not wish to follow Jesus only when He goes to Tabor, but to follow Him also when He goes to Golgotha; do not wish only to perceive within yourself the divine light, and spiritual joys and sweetnesses, but also darknesses and sorrows and bitter draughts which the soul tastes from the temptations of demons within and without.

-Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain
Theophilus

Postby Theophilus » June 14th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Make peace within yourself , and both heaven and earth will make peace with you.
-St Isaac the Syrian
Theophilus

Postby Theophilus » August 9th, 2013, 9:55 pm

"A man may seem to be silent, but if his heart is condemning others, he is babbling ceaselessly. But there may be another who talks from morning till night and yet he is truly silent, that is, he says nothing that is not profitable."

-St. Poemen
Theophilus

Postby Theophilus » September 17th, 2013, 6:58 pm

We do not see the thoughts of one another's hearts; and our opinions about each other are sometimes better and sometimes worse than what is warranted by reality.
-St Augustine
Theophilus

Postby Theophilus » November 23rd, 2014, 6:01 pm

A certain monk lived in a monastery, and he was always angry. He decided, "I will leave this place and dwell by myself as a hermit, and then I will no relations with anyone, and the passion of anger will leave me." Leaving the monastery, he settled in a cave. One day, having taken up a pitcher of water, the monk set it one the ground, and it tipped over. Again he drew the water, and the pitcher tipped a second time. The he drew it again, and it fell a third time. The brother got angry, picked it up and broke it. When he had come to himself, he understood that the devil had triumphed over him and said, "Behold, I have gone away into seclusion, and I am conquered! I will go back to the monastery, for patience and the help of God are necessary everywhere!" And he returned to his previous place.

Ancient Patericon
Theophilus

Previous

Return to Inspirational