Today's Scripture Verse

Prayers, hymns, images etc
Forum rules
Post prayers, hymns, images etc here, but please respect copyright. If it belongs to someone else, get their permission first.

Re: Today's Scripture Verse

Postby maz » April 22nd, 2011, 10:50 pm

I pray He will be through His people, too, to those who need this

the Word made Flesh
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby maz » April 24th, 2011, 12:33 pm

“Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen!..
(Luke 24:5b6a)
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
maz

Postby Lyn » April 28th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Luke 24:35-48.
The disciples of Jesus recounted what had taken place along the way, and how they had come to recognize him in the breaking of bread.
While they were still speaking about this, he stood in their midst and said to them, "Peace be with you."
But they were startled and terrified and thought that they were seeing a ghost.
Then he said to them, "Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts?
Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you can see I have."
And as he said this, he showed them his hands and his feet.
While they were still incredulous for joy and were amazed, he asked them, "Have you anything here to eat?"
They gave him a piece of baked fish;
he took it and ate it in front of them.
He said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the law of Moses and in the prophets and psalms must be fulfilled."
Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures.
And he said to them, "Thus it is written that the Messiah would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day
and that repentance, for the forgiveness of sins, would be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
You are witnesses of these things.

USSB

Edit: Sorry Maz, I see you have already done this. Never mind, great minds and all that.
Lyn

Postby maz » April 28th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:
Edit: Sorry Maz, I see you have already done this. Never mind, great minds and all that.

can't see where I did Vix [although my mind is tired now, so may be missing what you are meaning]

but I am glad you visited this thread, as I had wanted to respond to your previous post on it, as I wondered if it was personal..or sensed it could be, and my heart responded.

P.S. the scripture relating where Jesus appeared to them in the house on the road to Emmaus is so meaningful...so much in it to be gleaned.
Thanks for the reminder.
maz

Postby Theophilus » July 2nd, 2011, 10:00 pm

Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.
And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings, that the people were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

When He had come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed Him. And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean." Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, "I am willing; be cleansed." Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. And Jesus said to him, "See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby GregB » January 28th, 2012, 8:34 am

Here is an excellent reflection on Mark 4:35-41 by Donagh O'Shea on his daily devotional blog:

On that day, when evening had come, Jesus said to them, "Let us go across to the other side." And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him. A great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!" Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. He said to them, "Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?" And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, "Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"

This scene is a perfect parable of our life. We are crossing a stormy lake in a fragile boat, which is going to sink sooner or later, and the Lord is asleep at the back. Our breath is shortened from anxiety, but the Lord doesn’t even seem to notice. The storm may be a great public one for all to see, or it may be a private agony; the terror is the same. St Thérèse of Lisieux, for example, lived a life that was externally unremarkable, but she knew more inner storms than most. "I was alone in a desert waste, or rather, my soul was like a fragile skiff tossing without a pilot in a stormy sea. I knew that Jesus was there, asleep in my little boat, but the night was too black for me to see him. All was darkness. Not even a flash of lightning pierced the clouds. There's nothing reassuring about lightning, but, at least if the storm had burst, I should have been able to glimpse Jesus. But it was night, the dark night of the soul." People driving past her monastery would probably have said, "What a peaceful life they have there!" As we walk down a street we have no idea what private storms are raging all around us.

But as St Thérèse said, Jesus was there, though apparently asleep. He slept a lot in her company, she noticed. But she made excuses for him: other people rarely let him sleep, and so he would come to her for a break. Anyway, she was often asleep herself at meditation! Behind the gentle appearance and the frequently unctuous style of writing with its repeated use of the word 'little', she had extraordinary fortitude, and by God's grace, not from her own resources, she was able to run what she described as a giant's course, "une course de géant!" Because she had experienced the worst she was no longer afraid of anything.

Fear, or rather a certain kind of fear, is the great enemy of faith. Fear in itself is a natural instinct and we owe our survival to it, but like all our instincts it is capable of turning neurotic and undermining us. It is then that it becomes the opposite of faith. "Why are you fearful, O men of little faith?" Jesus said to them when he woke up. There are numerous examples of this in the gospels. The man who had only one talent buried it in the ground because he was afraid (Mt 25:25). After the death of Jesus his disciples locked themselves in a room "for fear of the Jews" (Jn 20:19). Jesus constantly told people not to be afraid (Mt 17:7; 28:10; Mk 6:50; Lk 5:10; 12:7, 32; Jn 6:20, etc.).

One of the best things we can do for ourselves is to look clearly and humbly at our fears. Make a complete list of all the ones you are aware of; then the hidden ones may begin to show themselves too. Our fears show us indirectly the path our faith has to take. There is great pressure on us to pretend to be unafraid. But faith is not bravado, it is a way of truth. Attempting to be rid of them usually only drives them into hiding and then they emerge in other twisted forms. Instead of trying to get rid of them (how?), we have to live with them, learning the hard lessons they have to teach us. But when we look clearly at them they begin to loosen their paralysing grip. "Do not be afraid" could hardly mean "Pretend to be unafraid." It means "Even though you are trembling, take the path of faith."
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby different glory » January 30th, 2012, 5:47 am

Our fears show us indirectly the path our faith has to take.

That's good -- thanks, Greg!
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Theophilus » May 1st, 2012, 9:14 am

On Acts 8:5–17

Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip (Acts 8:13). He both believed and was baptized, but nothing came of him. One must think that there was something not quite right in the formation of his faith. Sincere faith is the renunciation of your mind. You must bare your mind and present it to faith as a clean slate, so that faith might inscribe itself on the mind as it is, without any mixing in of alien definitions and tenets. When one’s former beliefs remain in the mind, then a mixture occurs in it after the tenets of faith are written there. The consciousness will be confused between the mind’s sophism and the operations of faith. Simon was therefore a model for all heretics, as all who enter the realm of faith thinking as they did as before. They are confused in the faith and nothing comes of them other than harm: for themselves—when they remain silent, for others—when this confusion is not kept within them alone, but breaks out to others, due to their thirst to be teachers. Hence there always turns out to be a party of people more or less sinning in the faith, with a wretched surety of their correctness, and with a calamitous drive to remake everyone their way.

- St Theophan the Recluse
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby GregB » February 17th, 2014, 11:17 am

Here is an interesting reflection from the Dominican website where Donagh O'Shea offers a daily meditation on scriptural texts:

17 February
Mk 8:11-13

The Pharisees came and began to argue with Jesus, asking him for a sign from heaven, to test him. And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, "Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to this generation." And he left them, and getting into the boat again, he went across to the other side.

I used to have regular visits from a person who always had highly dramatic stories of signs from God and visions, and messages from Our Lady. The delivery was so fluent that it would almost pull you into its mad swirl. I always took care to express my scepticism about those experiences. But she was so deaf to the outer world that it took her months to realise I was not a supporter. She would appear deeply religious, but in reality she was hardly religious at all – just hysterical, I fear. As the world becomes more dangerous every day, many join her in her flight into a magic world. That world wants to claim the credentials of the Christian faith, but we should insist, like Jesus, “No sign will be given to this generation.”

To a royal official Jesus complained, "Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe" (Jn 4:48). He was not for satisfying people’s demands for signs and proofs. Likewise in the story he told about the rich man and Lazarus, the rich man asked Abraham in paradise to send a sign to his brothers to warn them; but Abraham answered, “They have Moses and the prophets; they should listen to them” (Lk 16:29).

The demand for signs is not a religious impulse at all; it is rather the opposite: a search for some kind of verification that doesn't depend on faith. But didn’t Jesus work signs and miracles? Yes, but not for ulterior motives. Many people who want signs are seeking them for some purpose that has nothing to do with faith. In the case of the Pharisees their motive was “to test him.” I could seek signs in order to feel special, or to mask my deep loneliness, or my lack of real faith. What is always evident is a profound ignorance of the Scriptures.

Everything speaks of God; isn’t that enough? “The heavens proclaim the glory of God / And the firmament shows forth the work of his hands” (Psalm 18). On the road you need signs only if you don't know which way to go. But we know the way we have to go. “I am the way,” (Jn 14:6). It would be strange if one were to develop a fixation on signs – admiring their shapes, colours, lettering, etc. – and never realise that they are all pointing somewhere else.

The last sentence puts me in mind of the Zen parable of the Finger and the Moon. Someone points a finger towards the moon for the benefit of his dog, but instead of focusing its gaze on the moon, it continues to stare at the finger.

This, in turn, reminds me of that marvellous observation from C.S. Lewis:
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby different glory » March 14th, 2014, 10:35 am

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

PreviousNext

Return to Inspirational