Just popped by!

Come in and say hello
Forum rules
Come in and say hello

Re: Just popped by!

Postby gone » October 2nd, 2009, 7:21 am

Bev wrote:Interesting that the spooky stuff stopped so long ago. I wonder why.

Selling a house there sounds as complicated as here. Here we have to have something called a survey done--a mapping of property lines, an appraisal--the current value of the home, which includes potential repairs and/or add-ons. After that, it can go on the market. Here, too many homes are now appraised for quite a bit under the owner's original purchase price, so a lot of people are renting the property out instead of selling. We've had our home so long that we would still profit from a sale, but not nearly as much as we would have two years ago.

Saying prayers for you that you'll find just the right place to suit you both and your family's wishes.

Thanks Bev. :)

I have no idea why the activity stopped, just as I have no idea why it started. The house was not noted for being 'haunted' before we moved in. :shock: I think so called 'supernatural' activity, of whatever sort, is down to people, albeit it unconsciously, not external entities.

I want to sell the house a.s.ap. as it is becoming a hassle, always something to be done in a property this age (1610). But as I have no idea where we want to live or what sort of house we want to buy, that doesn't make it any easier. No doubt the kids will kick my butt into action as soon as Christmas is over, not much point in doing anything before then.
gone

Postby Lyn » October 2nd, 2009, 11:45 am

Might not be a bad idea to advertise your house in the Times or Telegraph, with a nice photo, and it will attract people from all over the country who will not have heard of your hauntings, etc. I can imagine something like that would put some people off. Anyway I am glad you have had no strange happenings for a while. I do hope you sell, SJ. Apparently springtime is the time when house owners get itchy feet and think about moving.

Welcome back btw. Hope your children and grandchildren are all well.
Lyn

Postby gone » October 2nd, 2009, 12:38 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:Might not be a bad idea to advertise your house in the Times or Telegraph, with a nice photo, and it will attract people from all over the country who will not have heard of your hauntings, etc. I can imagine something like that would put some people off. Anyway I am glad you have had no strange happenings for a while. I do hope you sell, SJ. Apparently springtime is the time when house owners get itchy feet and think about moving.

Welcome back btw. Hope your children and grandchildren are all well.

Thanks VP. The children and grandchildren seem ok at present thank goodness.

As for the house, I doubt that 11 years of spooky activity is a good selling point! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gone on October 8th, 2009, 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
gone

Postby Lyn » October 2nd, 2009, 12:57 pm

All the more reason to try to sell it to people from out of town, SJ. They can find out about the reported hauntings after moving in :D . I know in a way that sounds a bit mingy but if we don't believe in hauntings in the first place.....well then. Presumably local estate agents would either already know or find out more easily.

I do hope you are able to sell in the not too distant future and can find somewhere that suits you (first). Buying and selling houses can be quite stressful. Where we live is our second house, the first one we were in for nearly nine years, we moved here 1984 (George Orwell!). I remember when we were trying to move that we "lost" one house that we had set our hearts on, can't remember why exactly but I do remember the estate agents were not very straightforward. At the time it was a terrible blow because we thought we "loved" that house, but this one is better really so it all worked out. We had no shortage of first time buyers for our little two bed terrace - and when we "lost" the other house, a young couple who were ready to move into ours were extremely disappointed. Of course, when something like that happens you lose money because you've paid for surveys, etc, which at that time in our lives was quite crucial.

Selling my mother in law's house took ages. There was (?is) a bat in the loft which put some people off. We hadn't known about it, it had probably lived there for years - actually, I never knew bats lived singly but we were told there was one bat, not several. Apparently bats are protected so you can't get pest control round to exterminate them! Not that I would have wanted that but I wouldn't have minded encouraging it to go and live elsewhere. Of course the surveyors also found various things wrong with the house. However we sold it eventually and of course timing was less important for us because we weren't trying to buy anywhere.

Our tiny cottage in Norfolk is rented. Rents are so cheap up there and it is quite lovely to just ask the landlady, who lives next door, to fix anything that goes wrong. We've had that for over a year and one radiator stopped working, also a fitted towel rail in the bathroom broke, and she organised for both things to be repaired in no time! I am going there for the weekend.

Nice to talk to you.
Lyn

Postby gone » October 2nd, 2009, 2:11 pm

When people are buying a house they don't usually ask if it is haunted, we never did and we have bought about a dozen properties over the years.
gone

Postby Lyn » October 2nd, 2009, 4:57 pm

i must admit it would never occur to me to ask such a question either :D !

Good luck to you SJ.
Lyn

Postby gone » October 2nd, 2009, 5:36 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:i must admit it would never occur to me to ask such a question either :D !

Good luck to you SJ.

Thanks VP :)
gone

Postby Hedgewitch » October 3rd, 2009, 5:10 pm

Hi, Rose-Mary!

Glad to see you back. I, too, changed names from CelticMan to Hedgewitch after I forgot all my passwords etc!

Cheers

Bruce
Please sponsor me in climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in aid of Diabetes UK at

http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... ilimanjaro

If outside the UK, use the post (zip) code NW1 7AA
Hedgewitch

Postby gone » October 3rd, 2009, 6:35 pm

Thanks Bruce. :)
gone

Postby patjoseph » October 3rd, 2009, 8:51 pm