Handy hintlets

Come in and say hello
Forum rules
Come in and say hello

Handy hintlets

Postby sally » November 8th, 2007, 9:22 am

Since this is where most people start posting, seemed like a good place to put some hints on how to work this board. Please add your own hints, or ask if there's something you're not sure about.
sally

Blog: View Blog (1)

Why can't I post in the discussion forums?

Postby sally » November 8th, 2007, 9:32 am

We are very keen that St Thads should be a friendly place, where people chat to one another as well as have serious discussions. To that end, newcomers have to spend a little time posting in the Square to get to know us a bit, and let us get to know them before they are given full privileges by joining the Thaddeans group.

For more information, see the Rules
sally

How to change a password

Postby sally » November 8th, 2007, 9:35 am

Go to your User Control Panel - follow the link near the top of the screen (On the left for the default layout, right if you're using subsilver2)

Click the tab that says Profile, then select Edit account settings from the menu. Enter the new password in the boxes provided, and your current password to confirm it is really you.
sally

Re: Handy hintlets

Postby different glory » August 13th, 2008, 12:33 pm

I would like very much to be able to put internet addresses into the body of my posts, neatly -- ie, replacing the actual address with a word or two which fits into the post. I have tried fiddling with the "code" button above, but haven't so far managed to make it work the way other people seem to be able to.

I've looked at FAQ, without finding what I want, and I've tried sending messages to those on-line at the same time as I am, but in each case, the recipients have logged off before they noticed my message. :( (You are a lightning-fast lot at St Thads!)

So here I am, publicly admitting ineptitude, and hoping someone will walk me through the process. :beg:
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sprocket » August 14th, 2008, 8:35 am

Instead of just using [url ] at the beginning of the url, and [/url ] at the end, like this, but without the space which I've put in the [url]bit to stop it actually obeying the command: [url ]http://www.website.co.uk[/url], which (with the space removed) produces this: http://www.website.co.uk, do it like this, again obviously without the space:
[ url=http://www.website.co.uk]Click here.[/url]
which produces this result: Click here.. Obviously, you can put whatever text you want to be clickable-on, instead of "Click here".
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby different glory » August 14th, 2008, 9:12 am

You mean like this?

This is a test-drive... I do hope it works!

And just in case... thank you!! :) and :yahoo:
Last edited by different glory on August 14th, 2008, 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sweet Peace » August 14th, 2008, 9:15 am

:D Well done DG and thanks, Sprocket from me, too.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby greenjack » August 14th, 2008, 10:23 am

Sweet Peace wrote::D Well done DG and thanks, Sprocket from me, too.

and from me :!:
I failed in my attempt to help DG :(
Cheers
GJ
greenjack

Postby different glory » August 14th, 2008, 10:25 am

You didn't fail!!! You kindly suggsted that I might find even more help elsewhere!! (and I much appreciated your kindness! :) )
different glory

Postby greenjack » August 14th, 2008, 11:12 am

different glory wrote:You didn't fail!!! You kindly suggsted that I might find even more help elsewhere!! (and I much appreciated your kindness! :) )

aw shucks :oops:
you are too kind :grin:
Cheers
GJ
greenjack

Next

Return to Welcome