Hey - Anybody remember NGL?

Come in and say hello
Forum rules
Come in and say hello

Re: Hey - Anybody remember NGL?

Postby Ishy » April 9th, 2011, 1:51 am

The Bible has much to say concerning the topic of gossip and the damage it causes. Gossip is one of those sneaky sins mentioned in the Bible because it's easy to fall into the trap of speaking maliciously or falsely about someone else. Many can remember a time when they gossiped but had no intention to. The Bible also mentions those who love to gossip. Gossip can stir up negative emotions in people and those emotions can be the precursors to further serious sin. Emotions like hatred, envy, strife, bitterness, grief, and mistrust can all be stirred up when gossip is allowed to run wild. Let's see how the Bible warns us of the dangers of gossip.

The Bible tells us that Gossip ignites troubles by such a small part of the body. Consider how many messages are conveyed by the tongue. Christians do well when they learn to hold their tongues because it prevents further sin. James 3:5-6 (NIV) gives us a very good description of the power of the tongue: “Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.”

Gossip is a byproduct of what the Bible calls idleness. People who are busy have no time to gossip. For example, in the Bible Timothy gives a suggestion that younger widows (below the age of 60) should get married again so as to give no place to idleness. Otherwise, they risk becoming falling into gossip for lack of having anything better to do. In 1 Timothy 5:12-13 (NIV) we read the advice given for young widows: “Thus they bring judgment on themselves, because they have broken their first pledge. Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to.”

The Bible tells Christians to stay away from others who are idle and gossip. The Apostle Paul emphasizes the need for believers to work for their sustenance and not waste precious time with those who won't work having become busybodies. Busybodies are gossipers by definition. In 2 Thessalonians 3:11-15 Paul warns the church, “We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right. If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed. Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.”

Gossip can be easily stopped by not passing it along. When you hear someone gossip to you about another person maliciously, the best thing you can do is let it go no further. Change the subject of the conversation and just keep what you heard to yourself. Of course this person may tell someone else but at least you'll not sin by not spreading it. Proverbs 26:20 tells us, “Without wood a fire goes out without gossip a quarrel dies down.”

Don't use prayer requests as an opportunity to gossip. This occurs often in our churches. Churches should have prayer meeting times so that more than one believer can petition God with requests at the same time and with unity in mind and spirit. These meetings usually follow the same format in that the leader asks for prayer requests and then members share them with others. Where the gossip occurs is when someone is having a potentially embarrassing personal hardship and has confided in one of the church members with a prayer request. The church member then goes to the meeting and presents this person's "dirty laundry" (or the person's situation) to the other believers present in the name of requesting prayer. It is better to call this an “unspoken” request to avoid spreading it as gossip. God knows what the request is anyways.
Ishy

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Lyn » April 9th, 2011, 10:39 am

That's very good.

I had to smile about the bit on "young widows" needing to marry again in order to avoid idleness but obviously there is contextualisation there.

What about men gossipping? They are as bad, often worse, than women. Also there is gossip in the work place, rumours spread like wild fire. Some people just like it regardless of how busy or idle they are, they thrive on it.

Yes, we have all been drawn into gossip on occasions without meaning to get in so deep, particularly when young. We learn from that (hopefully). There are also times when we feel we have to explain something to put the facts straight and at that point it is always good to draw a line under the subject, not be drawn into further conversation about it. I have become good at being vague and changing the subject :D .

I was brought up with gossip, would you believe. It was a regular thing in my household, my mother, her sisters and cronies all getting together of an afternoon tearing people apart. I hated it, made me feel sick. As I got older I realized that a lot of the stuff they talked about was not just half truth but blatant untruth. However people gossipped about us too, including about me. It is quite confusing for a youngster who starts off believing that the grown ups are always right.

What you say about church is quite true too and a dreadful shame. I've not experienced it personally but have heard of it, also had people discuss their church members with me in such a way that they would be easy to identify even without knowing their name. Like you said, not everyone wants their private problems aired in public.

As far as forums go, we can always stop posting. I've developed a thicker skin over the years and if I do offend someone - which would be because of lack of tact, not whispering - I will apologise. Forums are not real life. They can be great fun but if they start being a place of intrigue, it is time to leave. There's enough agony in everyday life without getting involved in it on the internet. However there are some people who depend on the internet for contact with others, and discussion, so we do need to be sensitive. I can remember when I started posting, many years ago, I didn't go out much and got very involved with people, was quite needy really, and we don't know another poster's circumstances unless they tell us.

We have a regular prayer group meeting on here once a week, with just four members. We pray for others on Thads, also about people we know in real life and ourselves, without going into great personal detail; no-one else can see, we don't discuss the issues throughout the week and the prayer group starts afresh the following week. I have benefited greatly from that, even before I joined in. I trusted the members and knew that my concerns would be treated confidentially.

Anyway I have forgotten what this thread was about but yours was a good post :D
Lyn

Postby Bev » April 9th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Agree Vix. Your post is full of truth we should consider. (Like you, Vix, I've forgotten what the thread is about and will now have to go back to see if I'm one who really needs to repent here. :oops: )
Bev

Postby Lyn » April 9th, 2011, 5:25 pm

:shock: I wouldn't think you or anyone would need to repent about this thread, which was just general comments, but something good has come out of it.

Let us move on - do something else to repent of :D . I don't really mean that but if I buy another handbag in the next week I might need to repent of the extravagance. If I call my husband a big fat fart I will definitely not repent of that because I would merely be truthful.
Lyn

Postby Bev » April 10th, 2011, 1:09 am

:D
Bev

Postby GregB » April 10th, 2011, 7:21 am

I'm thinking of giving up repenting for Lent... :blink:
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Lyn » April 10th, 2011, 9:02 pm

I had forgotten it was Lent.... :o
Lyn

Postby Ishy » April 16th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Hi Vix's.

Victoria Plum wrote:That's very good.

I had to smile about the bit on "young widows" needing to marry again in order to avoid idleness but obviously there is contextualisation there.

What about men gossipping? They are as bad, often worse, than women. Also there is gossip in the work place, rumours spread like wild fire. Some people just like it regardless of how busy or idle they are, they thrive on it.

That is very true.

Yes, we have all been drawn into gossip on occasions without meaning to get in so deep, particularly when young. We learn from that (hopefully). There are also times when we feel we have to explain something to put the facts straight and at that point it is always good to draw a line under the subject, not be drawn into further conversation about it. I have become good at being vague and changing the subject :D .

I was never one for gossip. Not super good or anything like that. Just never had time for it.
But I think you handle it very well.

I was brought up with gossip, would you believe. It was a regular thing in my household, my mother, her sisters and cronies all getting together of an afternoon tearing people apart. I hated it, made me feel sick. As I got older I realized that a lot of the stuff they talked about was not just half truth but blatant untruth. However people gossiped about us too, including about me. It is quite confusing for a youngster who starts off believing that the grown ups are always right.

My parents never encouraged gossip. My mother was totally against it. The same bambi saying. If you can't say something nice about someone then do not say anything at all. I think my parents way of life stood us in good stead. Do you think God was working in your life even then?
What you say about church is quite true too and a dreadful shame. I've not experienced it personally but have heard of it, also had people discuss their church members with me in such a way that they would be easy to identify even without knowing their name. Like you said, not everyone wants their private problems aired in public.

It is sad that we cannot share our problems without fear of being judged. That is what most people fear on forums now.
Being judged by those who place themselves as judge and jury. A friend sent me what I printed. I think it is very good
and whoever wrote it expressed everything exceptionally well.
As far as forums go, we can always stop posting. I've developed a thicker skin over the years and if I do offend someone - which would be because of lack of tact, not whispering - I will apologise. Forums are not real life. They can be great fun but if they start being a place of intrigue, it is time to leave. There's enough agony in everyday life without getting involved in it on the internet. However there are some people who depend on the internet for contact with others, and discussion, so we do need to be sensitive. I can remember when I started posting, many years ago, I didn't go out much and got very involved with people, was quite needy really, and we don't know another poster's circumstances unless they tell us.

But what if God has sent them to post on the forums? I find the sensitivity has gone to what God wants.
I agree about enough agony in every day life and also the fact no one knows what damage they can do on the internet.

Proverbs 18:21 (King James Version)
21.Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

I wonder how many people have actually taken their own life because of things said by other people?

We have a regular prayer group meeting on here once a week, with just four members. We pray for others on Thads, also about people we know in real life and ourselves, without going into great personal detail; no-one else can see, we don't discuss the issues throughout the week and the prayer group starts afresh the following week. I have benefited greatly from that, even before I joined in. I trusted the members and knew that my concerns would be treated confidentially.

Would no one else join or were they not asked?

Ishy. :D
Ishy

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Liz » April 16th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Ishy wrote:

Would no one else join or were they not asked?

It's open to all, but is past my bedtime on a Thursday night (UK time). There's often a bumped thread, sometime on a Thurs evening, reminding people of the prayer meeting.
Liz

Postby maz » April 16th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Ishy wrote:But what if God has sent them to post on the forums?

I am wary of things like that - if anyone felt that wouldn't they feel superior to others on forums?
''God has sent...'' - how do they know that? [for sure]
I do know that God sends us into 'the world' [to share the Good News of His love]...but I wonder if 'on the forums' could be one's own feelings..although I am sure it can be one part of it..

I find the sensitivity has gone to what God wants.
I don't really, especially amongst thinking Christians and sensitive non-believers such as those on this forum..
I think we have to look to ourselves first, and make sure that we are not the insensitive ones [and I know I can be]
I have encountered those who post black and white soundbytes and [continual] ultra-critical things in some Facebook posts [not my contacts, but general Groups on there]
just wondering where you find that - yes, it does occur, but I think we have to be careful about assumptions, even when we do care for others

edited to remove double quote
Last edited by maz on April 17th, 2011, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome