Hi!

Come in and say hello
Forum rules
Come in and say hello

Hi!

Postby LilySue » July 2nd, 2014, 10:23 pm

Hi, and thank you for letting me join... I must admit I'm not entirely sure why the link to your forum was saved on our old computer, someone somewhere in that wonderful internet world must have thought that this would be my kind of place, but sadly I can't remember who, why or where :lol:

I'm LilySue, or just Sue,either will do, and I'm a 50+ mother of three from Norfolk. Technically I'm a Quaker, in that I still hold membership of the Society of Friends, but I'm currently having a leave of absence from Meeting and doing a bit of church searching........
LilySue

Re: Hi!

Postby different glory » July 3rd, 2014, 12:28 am

Hello, LilySue! :hello: Nice to meet you, and welcome! A view from Norfolk will be a great addition to St Thads! (What do I know of Norfolk? Well, only what I've read in books - Arthur Ransome, and Hereward the Wake, and people stalking through the fens on stilts, and I think Ely Cathedral, but I'm not sure. I look forward to hearing more!)
I'm from Australia, and right now writing from a tiny country town in a dry agricultural region of South Australia, where it's a gorgeous sunny day, with blue, blue skies, but cold! (About eleven degrees Celsius right now - brrrr!)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sweet Peace » July 3rd, 2014, 2:12 am

Welcome, LilySue. My name is also Sue, (though even after being on here for years, I don't know if I've ever made that known before :?), and co-incidentally I have used the name Lilly Sue myself, briefly, many years ago.
I've been thinking lately how nice it would be to have some new members here, and although I attend the Anglican Church on the rare occasion I have opportunity, I have a great affinity for Quakers.
I'm an Australian too, from the far Eastern side, Northern NSW.
:wave: Looking forward to interacting more. :hello:
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Sprocket » July 3rd, 2014, 6:41 am

Welcome! I'm Steve, or sprocket on here because one of my interests is cycling. I was a Quaker attender in the early 70s for a few years, but have been a liberal anglican since the late 70s. This isn't the busiest forum on the interweb, but I think you'll find it one of the friendliest.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby GregB » July 3rd, 2014, 7:26 am

Welcome! I'm from the north-west of England but I've lived in Spain (Barcelona) for the last 37 years. My ecclesiastical affiliation is mainstream Anglican, though my local church here through force of circumstance is Baptist. There's much to admire about the Quakers.

As Steve said, we're basically a friendly forum, despite the odd heated disagreement which soon cools off. Apart from our Australian friends, we have other non-UK members from Ireland, Canada, the USA, Finland and South Africa.

Back in 1976 while still living in the UK, I spent a delightful holiday with a group of friends on a barge on the Norfolk Broads during that gloriously hot, sunny summer.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » July 3rd, 2014, 9:53 am

Very pleased to meet you LilySue. What a lovely name! It's good to have a new poster. Hope you will post on here, we are not very busy atm but we would all like to be more so.
Lyn

Postby sally » July 3rd, 2014, 5:53 pm

Hi Sue

Welcome

Sally
sally

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby LilySue » July 4th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Thank you all for your warm welcome, a slow paced forum is fine by me, especially in the Summer time when there a whole lot of other things I should be doing!

So as you all seem to know each other quite well, has this forum be running a long while? Or is it a spin off forum from an older bigger one? As you can see, I do have a small problem with insufferable curiosity :oops: :lol:
LilySue

Postby Lyn » July 4th, 2014, 5:13 pm

We are a spin off from Sparrows which was also started by Sally. Many of us have known eachother a long time, from the original Premier Radio forum and even the old BBC forum. From Premier we went to 4Church, kindly started from a Prem member when that closed and then Sally put together Sparrows for us which metamorphosed into St Thads.

It is really lovely to have a new member LilySue. At times we have very interesting discussions but there are not many of us.

I'm a Londoner, retired, mid sixties. I know parts of Norfolk very well indeed and love it.

Look forward to seeing more of you.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » July 5th, 2014, 12:38 am

Welcome Lily Sue, I live in Canada and have done on and off since 1957. I still have a modified but recognizable Yorkshire accent. When Pope John Paul Il visited Toronto in 2002, we had lots of young people over from Norfolk for World Youth Day. The wife and I would take the teachers to and from Our Lady Of Sorrow school in Etobicoke to where they wanted to go. I got a phone call from one man when I was in bed (it must have been around 11pm) and a voice I mistakenly thought was in the Yorkshire accent , said, "Is that Les S______," I said it was, and as the subway had stopped running I had to drive him and someone else from a party to a house somewhere. Or other. My wife worked the night shift at OLS school looking after the young people, making sure they came in and behaved themselves, and got fed and bedded down for the night.
We didn't keep in touch unfortunately, with the people from Norfolk.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Next

Return to Welcome